Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Members
    Bitterne,Southampton, close to the M27 and 65 miles from the Temple of Bloom.

Why Do WE Celebrate St.Patrick's Day?

8 Not allowed!
    Throughout the world people are putting on green wigs, stupid leprechaun hats, Elton John-style shamrock glasses to celebrate the patron saint of Ireland - why? Is it just one gigantic marketing gig so that every shop, supermarket, pub, bar, club can come up with a ploy to sell the biggest load of tat going?

For me, the only reason(s) to celebrate the 17th of March is it's the anniversary of a certain 3-0 stuffing administered to "those up the road", and that Guinness might be on special offer somewhere nearby. I'm a bit partial to Guinness by the way.

Right, rant over. Bring on St.George's Day - nearer to promotion time (hopefully!), now THAT will be worth celebrating.

Cheers!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      I don't its no more than an excuse to spend the afternoon at the bar.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by el punal View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Throughout the world people are putting on green wigs, stupid leprechaun hats, Elton John-style shamrock glasses to celebrate the patron saint of Ireland - why? Is it just one gigantic marketing gig so that every shop, supermarket, pub, bar, club can come up with a ploy to sell the biggest load of tat going?

For me, the only reason(s) to celebrate the 17th of March is it's the anniversary of a certain 3-0 stuffing administered to "those up the road", and that Guinness might be on special offer somewhere nearby. I'm a bit partial to Guinness by the way.

Right, rant over. Bring on St.George's Day - nearer to promotion time (hopefully!), now THAT will be worth celebrating.

Cheers!
      Too right mate

1 Not allowed!
      We are celebrating the fact that we are not Irish.

3 Not allowed!
      We don't celebrate it
      Just an excuse to get pissed and pubs sell shit loads of Guinness
      Really nothing more than a massive Guinness promotion day in England
      BONA FORTUNA GABBIANOS

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by el punal View Post

Cheers!
      I suppose we have to celebrate St. Patrick's Day because we can't celebrate St. George's Day because everybody knows that would be racist.

If we have to share someone else's day, would you rather it was the Scots or the Welsh?

2 Not allowed!
      I don't celebrate it, or go out drinking on St Patrick's Day.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Watching England Under-20's beating Ireland Under 20's, warm up for the seniors tomorrow

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by bn9 bha View Post
      I don't celebrate it, or go out drinking on St Patrick's Day.
      Exactly. I've got two cans of Guinness in my fridge and I am deliberately refusing to even consider drinking one tonight.

0 Not allowed!
      Probably because there's more Orish 'ere than there! Same in most countries around the globe, they're the greatest travellers.

This is an annual moan isn't it? Why not bounce 2016...2015...2014...threads? See you next year!
      "Never miss a good chance to shut up"