Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Do WE Celebrate St.Patrick's Day?

el punal

Throughout the world people are putting on green wigs, stupid leprechaun hats, Elton John-style shamrock glasses to celebrate the patron saint of Ireland - why? Is it just one gigantic marketing gig so that every shop, supermarket, pub, bar, club can come up with a ploy to sell the biggest load of tat going?

For me, the only reason(s) to celebrate the 17th of March is it's the anniversary of a certain 3-0 stuffing administered to "those up the road", and that Guinness might be on special offer somewhere nearby. I'm a bit partial to Guinness by the way.

Right, rant over. Bring on St.George's Day - nearer to promotion time (hopefully!), now THAT will be worth celebrating.

Cheers! :drink:

kentgully

Jan 10, 2016
Worthing
Throughout the world people are putting on green wigs, stupid leprechaun hats, Elton John-style shamrock glasses to celebrate the patron saint of Ireland - why? Is it just one gigantic marketing gig so that every shop, supermarket, pub, bar, club can come up with a ploy to sell the biggest load of tat going?

For me, the only reason(s) to celebrate the 17th of March is it's the anniversary of a certain 3-0 stuffing administered to "those up the road", and that Guinness might be on special offer somewhere nearby. I'm a bit partial to Guinness by the way.

Right, rant over. Bring on St.George's Day - nearer to promotion time (hopefully!), now THAT will be worth celebrating.

Too right mate

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
We are celebrating the fact that we are not Irish.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I suppose we have to celebrate St. Patrick's Day because we can't celebrate St. George's Day because everybody knows that would be racist.

If we have to share someone else's day, would you rather it was the Scots or the Welsh? :drink:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I don't celebrate it, or go out drinking on St Patrick's Day.

Exactly. I've got two cans of Guinness in my fridge and I am deliberately refusing to even consider drinking one tonight.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Probably because there's more Orish 'ere than there! Same in most countries around the globe, they're the greatest travellers.

This is an annual moan isn't it? Why not bounce 2016...2015...2014...threads? See you next year!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Liverpool was rammed with fake Oirisch this evening - couldn't move for pissed up leprechauns and twiddly-twiddly musack

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
St Patrick's day is little more than a Guinness marketing campaign. Thank god their sales are in massive decline and drinkers are moving to English craft stouts and porters.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here