Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Do WE Celebrate St.Patrick's Day?

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
St Patrick's day is little more than a Guinness marketing campaign. Thank god their sales are in massive decline and drinkers are moving to English craft stouts and porters.

All of this. Although the majority of the craft stouts & porters I've got lined up for tonight happen to be Welsh, but hey, much the same principle. Don't mean to be a snob (yes I do) but Guinness is just so, unnecessary

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I suppose we have to celebrate St. Patrick's Day because we can't celebrate St. George's Day because everybody knows that would be racist.

If we have to share someone else's day, would you rather it was the Scots or the Welsh? :drink:

Patrick was a native Briton, George was a Syrian.

Home grown v foreigner that never set foot on English soil.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I have no Irish heritage and lost a relative to an IRA attack so don't give two shits about them.

What winds me up is the wife's fourth generation American cousins drinking shots in Michigan called Semtex thinking it's cool and funny... Wankermotherfeckersifyouaskeme.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
For the Americans it has to do with the myths and stories that the Irish propagate. There is a charm that Americans like to celebrate and anything that the Americans like gets spread all over the world through their media.

We don't exactly appreciate having our "charm" spread all over the world. The Irish embrace it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I suppose we have to celebrate St. Patrick's Day because we can't celebrate St. George's Day because everybody knows that would be racist.

What a very stupid comment.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
For the Americans it has to do with the myths and stories that the Irish propagate. There is a charm that Americans like to celebrate and anything that the Americans like gets spread all over the world through their media.

We don't exactly appreciate having our "charm" spread all over the world. The Irish embrace it.

It's the massive Irish diaspora to the US that plays a big role in it over there. Same with here in Australia.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
That is true. If more of us had died during our diaspora would that have made it more celebratory?

It's the Irish attitude of anyone can join in the celebration and be Irish for a day that makes it popular.

If anyone outside of English/Irish backgrounds looked in on this thread they'd get the impression the English are miserable sods and why would anyone want to party with them?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It's the Irish attitude of anyone can join in the celebration and be Irish for a day that makes it popular.

If anyone outside of English/Irish backgrounds looked in on this thread they'd get the impression the English are miserable sods and why would anyone want to party with them?
My Irish mother would agree with that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here