Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't use your phone in the bath if it's charging. (Common sense)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
to be fair, output from phone charger is 5v at 2Amps, so im surprised that would be enough to kill even in water.

If I read it right he had the charger on his chest so 220v at the primary, plenty enough to kill you

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
IMG_2371.JPG

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
To be fair, most electrical gear does come with huge instruction sheets in multiple languages, warning of this exact thing, as well as other safety notes. I even call them the "don't use in the bath" notes, before immediately recycling them.

But what was it plugged in to at the other end? An extension cable from outside the bathroom?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I think it might even be 5v at 1Amo (2 for iPad). I was surprised that killed someone.

He had an extension cord plugged into the mains resting on his chest, with his iphone charger plugged into that. I don't think the iphone was really responsible at all

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He had an extension cord plugged into the mains resting on his chest, with his iphone charger plugged into that.
:eek: Oh shit, full on stupid then! Might as well have done his toast too.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
People's obsession with mobile phones to the extent that they cannot live without it, to the extent that it will endanger their own and more importantly other innocent people's lives, will forever be the most pathetic thing in my lifetime.
It really shows how stupid a human being can be.
Try leaving it at home and going for a long walk in the countryside or along a beach and stopping off for a nice pub lunch, I do, and I have never missed anything that could not be dealt with on my return.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
On the basis that people seem to be unable to read warnings of tides and sandbanks, yet still manage to drown with their families blaming the lack of lifeguards, Apple should supply every purchaser with a person who watches over them in the bathroom to make sure they aren't being idiots.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
This news item disturbed me. I think because of the blind spot many of us carry along with our little 'all the world in your pocket' devices. Maybe it's just because I only have a shower, so don't have a petit-refrain in my head about dangerous bath activities? I could imagine I'd get to the point of plugging it in, at least, then thinking 'hang on, what the cricket am I doing?' The fact the sadly departed Mr Bull had run an extension cord for the initiative is probably where the incident touches the absurd. Feel for his family.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
to be fair, output from phone charger is 5v at 2Amps, so im surprised that would be enough to kill even in water.

I think it might even be 5v at 1Amo (2 for iPad). I was surprised that killed someone.

RCD protected circuits were brought into the Elec regs for bathrooms/kitchens around 2005. They're rated to trip at 0.03amps, as above that is considered to be able to cause cardiac arrest. If you add a handy conduit like water, it's all over really.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Van Gogh suffered from psychotic episodes and delusions and though he worried about his mental stability, he often neglected his physical health, did not eat properly and drank heavily. His friendship with Gauguin ended after a confrontation with a razor, when in a rage, he severed part of his own left ear.

Did Not exactly use common sense.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
On the basis that people seem to be unable to read warnings of tides and sandbanks, yet still manage to drown with their families blaming the lack of lifeguards, Apple should supply every purchaser with a person who watches over them in the bathroom to make sure they aren't being idiots.

To be fair, for the price they charge for their products, I think they should. Proper 'added value'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here