Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Magpie paranoia

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
lots here and loads of other birds of every type
we have right in the middle of all the birds a moorhen (moro) adorable but unfortunately very ugly

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
A pair of Magpies have been building a nest in a tree at the bottom of my garden, I've noticed a couple of crows turning up and trying to take the nest apart, the magpies make a noise but don't attack the crows.
When the crows get bored and fly off the magpies carry on with the building.

I don't talk to them. :D

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Magpies have been on the rise for the last 10 years or so. I hardly ever saw them til then. There is a pair right by my allotment and they have raised 3-4 chicks for the last 2 years and are often seen patrolling the plots hunting food. Also in Worthing the numbers of Crows have gone up massively to such an extent that they are almost 50/50 with Seagull numbers along the beach.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Plenty of Magpies in my area of RH10.

Have seen one being chased along a fence by a grey squirrel, so their not bothered by taking on those angry boys.

Was watching Springwatch a year or so ago, and they filmed Magpies and Crows helping themselves to baby rabbits in a warren. Must have produced major trauma amongst the nations youngsters,

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Oh dear - then I am a "freakin nimrod" and a "fudging moronic tool". I have total magpie paranoia, whenever I see just one bird I have to salute, say "say hello to your wife and children for me" and whistle. Suffice to say, at this time of year and this year in particular I daren't leave the ****ing house for fear of people shouting "Oi you fudging freakin moronic tool nimrod" at me.

And me!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Interesting to read this. I saw a couple for the first time in a while on my walk home along the seafront only this week. Scary creatures.

Actually, they were Ravens. Still, don't see many of those.

I think that Ravens on Brighton seafront would be fairly unusual

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think that Ravens on Brighton seafront would be fairly unusual

Yes. I thought it strange. But there were a small group of them. Would be interested to know what brought them there.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Australian magpies are the scary ones. Spent a few months in Canberra as a child being regularly dive-bombed on the way to the bus stop. Apparently if you eyeball them as they swoop down they back off but few attempt this.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Australian magpies are the scary ones. Spent a few months in Canberra as a child being regularly dive-bombed on the way to the bus stop. Apparently if you eyeball them as they swoop down they back off but few attempt this.

Cyclists paint eyeballs on their cycle helmets to ward them off. My daughter wasn't aware of this when she first went to Australia and fell off her bike when dive-bombed!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Cyclists paint eyeballs on their cycle helmets to ward them off. My daughter wasn't aware of this when she first went to Australia and fell off her bike when dive-bombed!!

No-one warned me and my parents wouldn't believe me when I ran into the house. It turned out that we had a particularly aggressive/protective male residing in a tree in our front garden.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here