Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, just how rubbish is modern football?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The cost of football. I'm glad I get a concession, or else I'd be priced out of going.

[tweet]842738214750359553[/tweet]

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
When did football become modern?

Was it when Spurs built the first corporate stand in England?

Was it when Arsenal moved from South London to North London?

Was it when we introduced the League cup?

Or was it when England finally decided to join in with the World cup?

...................sorry rewind, England have finally decided to join in with the World Cup? I'd have sworn they were just there to make up the numbers, they certainly don't behave like they've joined in.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
£37 is bad enough for leeds.

However, I paid £36 to go to Leeds a few years ago, when Ulloa scored the winner after we'd got el hadji diouf sent off for 'over celebrating' in front of us. I thought £36 was a lot before I went, but that game had so many of the things that make football great (as in the 50 things book posted earlier) that I was, in the end, more than happy with my value for money.

It's difficult isn't it?

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Never understood the complaints about the income of footballers. They're paid what the market dictates is their worth. Same as the top few thousand Actors, Lawyers, Doctors, or the upper echelon of those in business. These young men are superb at what they do and that excellence is represented in their wage. It also helps that their career is an oddity in it's brevity.

Is £20k a week a lot for a teenager to earn? Absolutely, but there are plenty of other professions where the practitioners earn far more, for far longer, in return for far less excellence.

I honestly think the worst thing about modern football is the modern League football fan. Entitled ********s who turn up expecting to be entertained, who don't bother their arse to sing or encourage their team, who bugger off 10 minutes early, or if their team is losing. "Fans" who wear the club colours and buy the hats but aren't supporters by any measure.

Bellends on the whole.

Yep; I remember the good old days when you took your life in your hands going to a football match.

Everyone getting pissed before, during and after the match.

Running fights with other fans (or even your own fans); fist fights, knife fights, football "firms" out to maim opposition fans, racist chants, homophobic chants etc. etc.

Personally, I was glad to trade in the flick knife and two square feet on the terraces for a comfortable seat and a family atmosphere (and I'd prefer prawn sandwiches to our pies too!).

Guess I'm just an old softy now.....!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Not much wrong with modern football as a game. I along with others moan about what they are paid but when games like Man U v Chelsea are shown live in 100 plus countries with gate receipts of millions it can only be right that big portion goes to the performers.
Rather then great football lover more an Albion lover. Win lose or draw enjoy every game at Amex. What to me unlike lots of clubs holds it all together is Tony Bloom. How lucky we are to have a supporter in charge. The picture of him at Brentford will be in my memory forever. I think championship is great and happy to stay there but find myself desperate to go up so Tony can fullfil his dream.
For those people that say they prefer lower league football remember they all dream of getting in Football League. Have over last few years watched Whitehawk, Burgess Hill and Lewes and apart from odd game standard is dire. I think more wrong with football at bottom then at the top. Players at Whitehawk for example earning 500/1000 week is far more stupid and harder to justify then what premiership players earn.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Yep; I remember the good old days when you took your life in your hands going to a football match.

Everyone getting pissed before, during and after the match.

Running fights with other fans (or even your own fans); fist fights, knife fights, football "firms" out to maim opposition fans, racist chants, homophobic chants etc. etc.

Personally, I was glad to trade in the flick knife and two square feet on the terraces for a comfortable seat and a family atmosphere (and I'd prefer prawn sandwiches to our pies too!).

Guess I'm just an old softy now.....!

??? Hell of a strawman you've built there Biddles...

Passion and partisan does not equal violence and thuggery and it's silly to imply it does. The Bundesliga fans are vociferous, impassioned, considerate and pleasant... are we so unlike our teutonic brethren?

biddles911

May 12, 2014
??? Hell of a strawman you've built there Biddles...

Passion and partisan does not equal violence and thuggery and it's silly to imply it does. The Bundesliga fans are vociferous, impassioned, considerate and pleasant... are we so unlike our teutonic brethren?

Don't think I was equating the two. I was simply comparing fans of old with modern day.

Clearly it was a sweeping statement that didn't apply to all fans but I'm old enough to remember the 70s and 80s and the rather threatening atmosphere at many grounds, particularly the bigger clubs.

By the same token you seem to be suggesting that modern day fans lack passion? Can't say I believe that either.

The OP was all about football rather than the periphery though. My belief is that modern day footballers are, on average, much fitter and more technically adept than in past eras though better pitches, balls and training techniques have all contributed to making this happen.

I remember being quite bored by many matches in the 70s but I watch many games at all levels these days and usually find them quite absorbing even if I have no particular loyalty to either team.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Don't think I was equating the two. I was simply comparing fans of old with modern day.

Clearly it was a sweeping statement that didn't apply to all fans but I'm old enough to remember the 70s and 80s and the rather threatening atmosphere at many grounds, particularly the bigger clubs.

By the same token you seem to be suggesting that modern day fans lack passion? Can't say I believe that either.

The OP was all about football rather than the periphery though. My belief is that modern day footballers are, on average, much fitter and more technically adept than in past eras though better pitches, balls and training techniques have all contributed to making this happen.

I remember being quite bored by many matches in the 70s but I watch many games at all levels these days and usually find them quite absorbing even if I have no particular loyalty to either team.

In quoting my post in your reply, you appeared to be arguing against my position about modern fans with your statements about hooliganism.

For what it's worth, I've been on the wrong end of "bother" though fortunately nothing too serious, and I'm delighted it's going away. I honestly believe there's less passion in the ground these days, St James' used to be a cauldron of noise, so did Anfield, Old Trafford and Goodison... now there are too many corporate seats, too many stag-dos, too many tourists and day-trippers. I don't know what it was like at the Goldstone ground, but whenever I watch a game in the top 2 tiers, the atmosphere is pretty poor more often than not.

The standard of the average professional player has certainly improved, even in the 2 and a bit decades that I've been aware of football. The tactical side of things has also dramatically improved. Thankfully managers like Redknapp are being phased out by fresh ideas and a greater understanding of the game.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
In quoting my post in your reply, you appeared to be arguing against my position about modern fans with your statements about hooliganism.

For what it's worth, I've been on the wrong end of "bother" though fortunately nothing too serious, and I'm delighted it's going away. I honestly believe there's less passion in the ground these days, St James' used to be a cauldron of noise, so did Anfield, Old Trafford and Goodison... now there are too many corporate seats, too many stag-dos, too many tourists and day-trippers. I don't know what it was like at the Goldstone ground, but whenever I watch a game in the top 2 tiers, the atmosphere is pretty poor more often than not.

The standard of the average professional player has certainly improved, even in the 2 and a bit decades that I've been aware of football. The tactical side of things has also dramatically improved. Thankfully managers like Redknapp are being phased out by fresh ideas and a greater understanding of the game.

Can't say I've ever been to any of the grounds you mention, so can't really compare then and now though they still get big crowds, of course.

My formative years were spent at a division 2/3 side (Plymouth Argyle) and more recently (80s onwards) at Spurs and Fulham ending up with BHFC.

The atmosphere at the Amex can be great. I still remember last season against Sheffield Wednesday which was electric.

We clearly agree about football on the pitch though. We used to thrill to Bobby Charlton hitting a 30 yard pass. This happens pretty much every game at all levels these days!

I still love watching the likes of Knocky waltzing past 3 players. Too many are afraid to do that these days......

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Part of me wants Premier league money but Championship seems more exciting to me. The desire seems greater

Completely agree, we will have to play very defensive games in the Premiership, despite our top position this season matches have not been greatly entertaining but would be preferable and we would still have Chris and the bulk of our present side

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The only thing that bothers me is the money. Millions of pounds pouring around yet clubs running at millions of pound of losses and countless fans increasingly getting priced out.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
It's the European competition evolution that has gone to shit. The European Cup and an almost equally prestigious UEFA Cup were better times. Even the CWC was interesting.

Definitely! Like a lot of people I've completely lost interest in European football. Think the last time I really made an effort to watch a game and enjoyed it was when Barcelona tonked Man u at Wembley.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Can't say I've ever been to any of the grounds you mention, so can't really compare then and now though they still get big crowds, of course.

My formative years were spent at a division 2/3 side (Plymouth Argyle) and more recently (80s onwards) at Spurs and Fulham ending up with BHFC.

The atmosphere at the Amex can be great. I still remember last season against Sheffield Wednesday which was electric.

We clearly agree about football on the pitch though. We used to thrill to Bobby Charlton hitting a 30 yard pass. This happens pretty much every game at all levels these days!

I still love watching the likes of Knocky waltzing past 3 players. Too many are afraid to do that these days......

Part of the problem with football is like you say, players afraid to try the exceptional for fear of pressure from the stands. Hatem Ben Arfa was one of the most magical players to watch live, simply incredible skill on the ball. Ye sections of the crowd would groan and moan when he failed to beat the 2nd or 3rd man. The same sections who'd bollock him because he didn't tackle back.

When a player can beat 6 players and slam the ball home, I don't really mind him not chasing about the pitch hunting for the ball, that's what players like Jack Colback are for.

I remember one time John Beresford was arguing with Kevin Keegan, frustrated that Ginola was leaving him exposed. At that moment Ginola dropped his shoulder, drifted past the opposition, and delivered a peach of a cross that Ferdinand headed home. Keegan said "That's why you have to work harder, that lad can win us the league.

Beresford tells this anecdote; "The bloke on the receiving end of it all was Neil Cox who didn't know how to handle Ginola at all. We met him the next day in a shop near Washington that would do discounts on Nike gear for all the local players from United, Sunderland, Boro, Darlington and Hartlepool. They would only do it on Thursdays so we would often bump into the Boro lads.

"I asked Neil how he was after the previous night, he replied that he'd just come back from the hospital. A surgeon had spent all morning trying to put him the right way round after being turned inside-out the night before! He said he'd tried every trick in the coaching manuals to stop Ginola: he'd gone tight, he'd dropped off him and he'd even ended up booting him but still not stopped him. He asked the bench to take him off but all the subs were too scared to come on...."

Highlights what a difference a truly gifted footballer can make, yet the crowd still moan on when the mercurial talents don't produce it every game. If Laurent Robert did it every game, he'd be playing for Barcelona, not Newcastle United, wouldn't he?

Want to kill a few minutes? watch youtube highlights of Ginola, Robert and Ben Arfa. Newcastle have been truly blessed with stroppy French wingers :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here