Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 77
  1. #21
    Registered loser Megazone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    5,491


    1 Not allowed!
    It's not Sky which causes the fixture issues. It's that stupid rule where no 3pm kick offs are allowed to be televised.
    Hopefully, one day, 3pm kick offs will be allowed to be televised in England and from then onwards, no one will have anything to complain about and BT sport will no longer have the control over football like they currently have.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #22

      0 Not allowed!
      Interesting thread in a week when there have been some outstanding matches - our Derby demolition, Barca's amazing comeback vs PSG, the Monaco-Man City tie, Leicester's heroics vs Sevilla, even Tottenham's ruthless 6-0 destruction of Millwall.
      "Intercluderent aut mori"
    • #23
      Members Stat Brother's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      West west west Sussex
      Posts
      39,246


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bobkin View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The actual matches can be – and often are – fantastic.

      All the BS that goes with it – transfer speculation; 'EXCLUSIVE' stories in the papers; endless discussions on dedicated radio and TV channels; the sense of entitlement shown by some current and former players etc, etc – I could quite frankly do without.
      Nail & head.
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      http://app.strava.com/clubs/north-stand-geeks
      Fantasy Vuelta - League Name: NSC Geeks League Code: 68204709

      .
    • #24
      Members
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Posts
      3,275


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pavilionaire View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Interesting thread in a week when there have been some outstanding matches - our Derby demolition, Barca's amazing comeback vs PSG, the Monaco-Man City tie, Leicester's heroics vs Sevilla, even Tottenham's ruthless 6-0 destruction of Millwall.
      Counter argument being our game against Derby on a Friday night, not Saturday 3pm; both Champions League inaccessible to most due to being on BT Sport not terrestrial; Spurs 6-0 showing the differential between Prem and L1 these days. All depends on your perspective
    • #25

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by clarkey View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Counter argument being our game against Derby on a Friday night, not Saturday 3pm; both Champions League inaccessible to most due to being on BT Sport not terrestrial; Spurs 6-0 showing the differential between Prem and L1 these days. All depends on your perspective
      Taking the OP question literally the above games show that modern football ISN'T rubbish, but I take your point.

      I'd also add the point that better pitches, boots, kit, balls, floodlights have all incrementally improved the football experience. If you watch some of the matches from the 70s on Sky the pitches are - by and large - atrocious so it was no surprise the ball got lumped up to the big lad all the time.

      It makes you wonder what a player like George Best, Bobby Charlton or Jimmy Greaves in their prime might have been able to accomplish using today's equipment.
      "Intercluderent aut mori"
    • #26
      Members
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Posts
      3,275


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pavilionaire View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Taking the OP question literally the above games show that modern football ISN'T rubbish, but I take your point.

      I'd also add the point that better pitches, boots, kit, balls, floodlights have all incrementally improved the football experience. If you watch some of the matches from the 70s on Sky the pitches are - by and large - atrocious so it was no surprise the ball got lumped up to the big lad all the time.

      It makes you wonder what a player like George Best, Bobby Charlton or Jimmy Greaves in their prime might have been able to accomplish using today's equipment.
      Always an interesting hypothetical isn't it - with modern equipment, training regimes, and off-field behaviour, would Best have been twice the player he was or half the player he was.
    • #27
      Members
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      Location
      A long way from the coast...
      Posts
      4,940


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Megazone View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It's not Sky which causes the fixture issues. It's that stupid rule where no 3pm kick offs are allowed to be televised.
      Hopefully, one day, 3pm kick offs will be allowed to be televised in England and from then onwards, no one will have anything to complain about and BT sport will no longer have the control over football like they currently have.
      And decimate the lower leagues, no thanks
      Brexit is like trying to remove the egg from an omelette. Updated Winter 2017
    • #28
      Registered loser Megazone's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Posts
      5,491


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by nicko31 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      And decimate the lower leagues, no thanks
      Why would it decimate the lower leagues?

      Lower league fans for some time now, have had the option of streaming live top flight 3pm kick offs. But yet they still are watching their local small team.

      We're not living in the 60's anymore. Televised football is no longer a novelty. It's a very old fashioned view that fans from all over the country would stay in to watch a live match over their local team.

      Getting 3pm kick offs televised would save football more than damage it.
    • #29
      Members dejavuatbtn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2010
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      2,222


      0 Not allowed!
      The product is OK but there are a number of issues IMO:
      English players don't get an opportunity to develop in the Premier league so we have a crap national team.
      Hangers on, agents, pundits, etc are a bunch of scavengers and bleeding money away from the game.
      Severely overpaid players.
      The FA have lost any teeth they had - the PL have removed them.
      Clubs rarely allow managers to develop in their roles.
      It is the only industry where a crap manager seems to have no problems in getting another job, despite a history of incompetence.
      It stopped being a sport and is now a business, so its priorities have been compromised.
      I am sure there are loads more but I am bored by the whole argument as non of it seems to be fixable!
    • #30
      Members
      Join Date
      Dec 2003
      Location
      Four Counties Ring
      Posts
      4,614


      0 Not allowed!
      1066family man, are you any relation to Adrie/1066 who use to post on here years ago?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •