Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Super Moderator

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bracknell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Things haven't been the same since they changed the back-pass rule and goalkeepers stopped wearing cloth caps like Jack Charlton does.
    it really went downhill when they started wearing those bobbly green gloves

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      I think there is a fair bit of BS nostalgia that goes on in regard to terraces, I remember not being able to see, a giant standing in front of you at 2.58pm, being cold, wind blowing across the terrace and some awful football. I would not trade for my padded front row WSU seat in the warm and dry AT ALL.

0 Not allowed!
      Football went downhill when Dele Ali and Harry Kane did their goal celebration together. That was the mark of the modern era.
      Exiled Geordie

1 Not allowed!
      Never understood the complaints about the income of footballers. They're paid what the market dictates is their worth. Same as the top few thousand Actors, Lawyers, Doctors, or the upper echelon of those in business. These young men are superb at what they do and that excellence is represented in their wage. It also helps that their career is an oddity in it's brevity.

Is £20k a week a lot for a teenager to earn? Absolutely, but there are plenty of other professions where the practitioners earn far more, for far longer, in return for far less excellence.

I honestly think the worst thing about modern football is the modern League football fan. Entitled ********s who turn up expecting to be entertained, who don't bother their arse to sing or encourage their team, who bugger off 10 minutes early, or if their team is losing. "Fans" who wear the club colours and buy the hats but aren't supporters by any measure.

Bellends on the whole.
      Hotdogs, extra onions clippedgull's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post

I honestly think the worst thing about modern football is the modern League football fan. Entitled ********s who turn up expecting to be entertained, who don't bother their arse to sing or encourage their team, who bugger off 10 minutes early, or if their team is losing. "Fans" who wear the club colours and buy the hats but aren't supporters by any measure.
      That's not a 'modern football' phenomena though. It used to happen at the Goldstone as well.
      Proud Member Of Team BHAFC since 1974

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post

Bellends on the whole.
      Uh oh

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by clippedgull View Post
      That's not a 'modern football' phenomena though. It used to happen at the Goldstone as well.
      Not sure he could relate, since he's a toon fan.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      1992. Football became modern when Sky bought it.

Now that they own it, it'll never been the same again.
      92 was when football was invented, last week Sky reported that Lukaku claimed the record as Everton's highest ever league goal scorer.
      shut up and listen to 'Guided By Voices'
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Wrong-Direction View Post
      What else you gonna do on a Saturday?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
      Exercise?

(sorry, me very bad)
      Exiled Geordie

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by clippedgull View Post
      I'm a Newcastle fan, it never used to happen at SJP when I was a lad. Gallowgate, the Corner, the Leazes were all packed with "proper" fans and loud as you like. The East Stand and the Milburn were always quieter, but the ends more than made up for it. Now, whenever I get a chance to go back up there and catch a game the atmosphere is pretty poor on the whole. Pockets of young lads trying to get Soccer AM-type chants going, some hardy souls still singing the classics, but great swathes of day-trippers and tourists, arms folded mouth buttoned. Stag-dos and birthday parties in fancy dress, or just miserable old coots whose advice to the players oscillates between "GiveItToHimManYaShite" and "DivintGiveItToHimManHesShite" .

Lower league and Away days are the only enjoyable atmospheres these days.