Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, just how rubbish is modern football?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Thruthfully ... this wonderful Brighton team are the only thing keeping me interested

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think football in essence hasn't changed one little bit to what first attracted you to the beautiful game, apart from maybe the ball and the boots. Just need to blank out every last bit of hyper BS surrounding it and feeding off it and you'll have the same good time you first had.

When the smell of St Bruno rubbed pipe tobacco at night games disappeared I'm afraid the writing was on the wall.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I have never smoked ANYTHING ever but that smell at The Goldstone of sweet pipe smoke will stay with me forever. Moving on, watching the likes of Pogba tonight having cost £87 zillion and getting £400 billion p/w.......makes you wonder.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What else you gonna do on a Saturday?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
With reference only to the "product" on the pitch these days there's a lot I don't care for - but I still go anyway.

- eleven men behind the ball "pressing" and hoping for a counter attack - so boring watching Barcelona in La Liga every week having to break down a team not interested in attacking
- every tackle is a foul - and every strong tackle is a yellow card - no room for robustness any more
- obvious time wasting from the first minute by teams desperate for a point
- the ridiculous slow walk off for substituted players whose team are happy with the match situation
- celebrity referees

and
- paying a "booking fee" for a ticket when you're buying it at the entrance gate to the stadium (yes BHAFC that's you)
- short trains from a small station when you're trying to get a capacity crowd home (mostly on dark wintry evenings thanks to Sky Sports) and you rely on tolerance

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I could be wrong but I thought the rule was implied so that smaller clubs wouldn't have their attendances effected by fans staying in and watching the big match.

These days, fans just wouldn't do that. Watching a match on TV is no big occasion like it was in the 60's. 50 years later and the 3pm no televised matches rule is only benefiting the tv companies and annoyingly, messing around fans who attend matches.

It's a joke and needs to be addressed by the FA.

I think it's more subtle than that. I go to watch Barrow now and then with my brother-in-law - the other week his son was going to come along (16 year old Man Utd fan), but in the end he didn't, because Man Utd were on TV at the same time. So Barrow lost one fan for that game, and for future games, and probably means that he'll never get hooked on his local team - who will always be his 'second' team, to be watched only when he hasn't got Man U on telly.

And I must say I would be the same if Brighton are on a live stream, however dodgy - I'm more likely to want to watch this than pop off to Barrow or Lancaster for a lower league game. So the lower clubs will lose business in the long run.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Compared to what? The pies at the Amex? The Singles Chart? Cricket? Hang gliding?
If you mean (only) football - when did 'Modern' begin? And in what country? Or what region of the world? Do you mean top-tier professional football, lower-tier, amateur?
Pointless question :wrong: :facepalm:

Reasonable question, your answer is pointless!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I think there is a fair bit of BS nostalgia that goes on in regard to terraces, I remember not being able to see, a giant standing in front of you at 2.58pm, being cold, wind blowing across the terrace and some awful football. I would not trade for my padded front row WSU seat in the warm and dry AT ALL.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Never understood the complaints about the income of footballers. They're paid what the market dictates is their worth. Same as the top few thousand Actors, Lawyers, Doctors, or the upper echelon of those in business. These young men are superb at what they do and that excellence is represented in their wage. It also helps that their career is an oddity in it's brevity.

Is £20k a week a lot for a teenager to earn? Absolutely, but there are plenty of other professions where the practitioners earn far more, for far longer, in return for far less excellence.

I honestly think the worst thing about modern football is the modern League football fan. Entitled ********s who turn up expecting to be entertained, who don't bother their arse to sing or encourage their team, who bugger off 10 minutes early, or if their team is losing. "Fans" who wear the club colours and buy the hats but aren't supporters by any measure.

Bellends on the whole.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I honestly think the worst thing about modern football is the modern League football fan. Entitled ********s who turn up expecting to be entertained, who don't bother their arse to sing or encourage their team, who bugger off 10 minutes early, or if their team is losing. "Fans" who wear the club colours and buy the hats but aren't supporters by any measure.

That's not a 'modern football' phenomena though. It used to happen at the Goldstone as well.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Bellends on the whole.

Uh oh

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
1992. Football became modern when Sky bought it.

Now that they own it, it'll never been the same again.

92 was when football was invented, last week Sky reported that Lukaku claimed the record as Everton's highest ever league goal scorer.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
That's not a 'modern football' phenomena though. It used to happen at the Goldstone as well.

I'm a Newcastle fan, it never used to happen at SJP when I was a lad. Gallowgate, the Corner, the Leazes were all packed with "proper" fans and loud as you like. The East Stand and the Milburn were always quieter, but the ends more than made up for it. Now, whenever I get a chance to go back up there and catch a game the atmosphere is pretty poor on the whole. Pockets of young lads trying to get Soccer AM-type chants going, some hardy souls still singing the classics, but great swathes of day-trippers and tourists, arms folded mouth buttoned. Stag-dos and birthday parties in fancy dress, or just miserable old coots whose advice to the players oscillates between "GiveItToHimManYaShite" and "DivintGiveItToHimManHesShite".

Lower league and Away days are the only enjoyable atmospheres these days.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here