Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aitor Karanka: Middlesbrough sack Spaniard

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I did mention a few weeks ago that some of our supporters will have a massive shock coming their way if we go up, seem to remember getting torn apart..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I think we would only get "torn apart" by the top 6-8, below that you have the likes of;

Watford
Bournemouth
Swansea
Stoke
Hull
Middlesborough
Burnley
Palace
Sunderland (admittedly probably down)

In terms of their starting 11s vs our likely-to-be-strengthened current best 11, there's no reason we couldn't compete with those teams, is there?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Capture.JPG

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Absolutely. I have no doubt we can rely on Bloom. It would be good if supporters showed patience too. If you look at the three promoted teams from last year, Middlesbrough and Hull are both in the bottom three and Burnley are doing pretty well, but they've been up a couple of times in recent years so probably had a better starting point that we would. If we do go up, 17th would be an achievement in the first season up and then you can build from there. I'm not saying that should be the limit of our expectations but, having been used to winning a lot of games and rarely losing across the last two seasons, we will have to get used to losing a lot more games next season, even if we do well like Burnley.

This has been going through my head a lot lately. If we go up we'll be underdogs for the first time in many years and newer fans that have got used to us winning are going to have to getting used to really get behind a losing team a lot of the time.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I don't think TB will ever sack Hughton, but if we get promoted and spend most of the season in the bottom 3 and end up getting relegated I think Hughton will leave by mutual consent.

If we don't get promoted this year or next year, then I think the same scenario could occur.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gibson has, once again, demonstrated his loyalty by giving Karanka a decent chance but the stats and the table don't lie - he had to go.

Moreover, I'm not convinced that Karanka would take them up from the Championship next season - Villa and Norwich will be in the mix, and I expect Hull and Sunderland will be too, and it does seem there are rifts between manager and players.

For every manager like Sean Dyche that can get relegated and bounce back straight away there's an Alex Neil that can't shake off the ghosts of relegation with players, board and fans.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
While it is getting MASSIVELY ahead of myself, I can see myself getting very annoyed at how some of our support (particularly newer-comers) would react if we go up and then struggle in the Prem under Hughton. I would like us to give him the time and support Burnley have given Dyche.

My thoughts too - how often in life is the journey much better than actually reaching the destination. I can't wait to see some the big boys at the Amex but it's a big culture shift for recent fans to anticipate some heavy defeats and real struggles. This won't be Hughton's fault - and he may go pragmatic and become ultra defensive to try to stay up (which I think he did at Norwich). Needs a different mindset from the fans at least in season one. And of course it's still all a very big IF in any case.

ipad1977

Sep 28, 2015
I wonder whether Bloom would have stuck by Hughton had we got promoted last season and were in the position Middlesborough are in now. I think he would, as Chris is a decent, straightforward character. The same goes for Tony Bloom. Thankfully integrity can overpower money sometimes.

If Chris Hughton had walked out after a row during this season, been suspended for a game before his return, had reportedly been in bust ups with the squad behind the scenes next season as well, then had you in the relegation zone at this point next year with uninspiring tactics and after different games had called a 3-nil victory the worst performance of the season, and had moaned about the club's fans, the club's recruitment department and the players after separate occasions... I think it's a fair bet that TB would pull the trigger.

Steve Gibson is well known as one of the most patient chairmen in football.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If Chris Hughton had walked out after a row during this season, been suspended for a game before his return, had reportedly been in bust ups with the squad behind the scenes next season as well, then had you in the relegation zone at this point next year with uninspiring tactics and after different games had called a 3-nil victory the worst performance of the season, and had moaned about the club's fans, the club's recruitment department and the players after separate occasions... I think it's a fair bet that TB would pull the trigger.

Steve Gibson is well known as one of the most patient chairmen in football.

Your last paragraph is very true. Without Steve Gibson as his chairman, Karanka maty well not have lasted nearly this long.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here