Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the away form our "achilles heel? According to Virgo it is..

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Virgo thinks Saturday might be the time to repeat that strategy. “The likes of Huddersfield and Brentford showed how to play against Brighton,” he said. “They were willing to sit back and frustrate but, at the same time, they committed to trying to get at Brighton on the break. I’ve seen that strategy work. Brighton are a really strong, solid team but they do have weaknesses.

By AV saying this, do you think that there is air of reverse physcology, to gee up Albion, not to fall into the trap previously at Huddersfield.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Adam Virgo. Two things.

1. Lack of pace in the centre? Not anymore - see Mr Kayal.

2. Huddersfield did not 'set-up' to hit us on the break. They dominated possession (69%) holding a very high line with full backs as wingers a la Hyypia chasing everything down in packs and basically playing us off the pitch. They were going to have more space once they scored but they weren't sitting back that much.

Dismissed.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Agreed about Huddersfield. Don't think they sat back at all. I thought the whole point in that game was that we couldn't cope with the way they constantly hassled us high up the pitch. So I think that's well of the mark from AV. However, it's fair enough highlighting our away form as a weakness. Not much of one, granted - but some recent results on the road haven't been too hot. If the chasing pack are to have any hope, that's what they'll draw upon given how good we are at the Amex.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Agreed about Huddersfield. Don't think they sat back at all. I thought the whole point in that game was that we couldn't cope with the way they constantly hassled us high up the pitch. So I think that's well of the mark from AV. However, it's fair enough highlighting our away form as a weakness. Not much of one, granted - but some recent results on the road haven't been too hot. If the chasing pack are to have any hope, that's what they'll draw upon given how good we are at the Amex.

For all the talk of how they obliterated us, they scored a couple of spawny goals through lucky bounces and/or our own players tackling them producing through balls :facepalm:

Throw in the fact we had a goal disallowed and a man sent off. The goals killed us in that game, not necessarily how we/they played.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
For all the talk of how they obliterated us, they scored a couple of spawny goals through lucky bounces and/or our own players tackling them producing through balls :facepalm:

Throw in the fact we had a goal disallowed and a man sent off. The goals killed us in that game, not necessarily how we/they played.

Yeh, but you make your own luck. The goal that came from our own 'through' ball was the type of thing that happens when a side has you at full stretch. I don't think Huddersfield are Real Madrid.. but, fair play to them, they deserved to win that particular game. A very rare poor Albion performance.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Yeh, but you make your own luck. The goal that came from our own 'through' ball was the type of thing that happens when a side has you at full stretch. I don't think Huddersfield are Real Madrid.. but, fair play to them, they deserved to win that particular game. A very rare poor Albion performance.

Agreed, deserved to win. And I guess the goals they scored were payback for the goal that beat them when they visited:lolol:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Adam Virgo. Two things.

1. Lack of pace in the centre? Not anymore - see Mr Kayal.

2. Huddersfield did not 'set-up' to hit us on the break. They dominated possession (69%) holding a very high line with full backs as wingers a la Hyypia chasing everything down in packs and basically playing us off the pitch. They were going to have more space once they scored but they weren't sitting back that much.

Dismissed.

3. Matt Ritchie did not have ' a lot of joy' from our left back, he played one really good crossfield pass from deep, behind our right back after being fairly anonymous for 85 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here