Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nicola Sturgeeon.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not talking about Yorkshire. Never lived there (hardly ever been there either). Just reporting facts about living in Scotland.

Your posts read, as though you have as big a chip on your shoulder as the Scots you have met. Personal abuse due to your place of birth is just as unpleasant no matter where you live in later life.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Your posts read, as though you have as big a chip on your shoulder as the Scots you have met. Personal abuse due to your place of birth is just as unpleasant no matter where you live in later life.

No he doesn't. He just appears to be someone reporting his experiences. As someone posted earlier, much of the English population has Scottish blood in its veins. Certainly in my part of the world 90% of us have. This makes it particularly sad that the old jocular anti-Englishness of centuries has turned into (in many cases) a bitter, hate-filled mindset in the last few decades.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
:facepalm:

That's just a polite way of summing it up, without becoming abusive {which I haven't, despite what your post implies}.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
:facepalm:

That's just a polite way of summing it up, without becoming abusive {which I haven't, despite what your post implies}.

I fail to see where I said you were abusive? I was talking about receiving abuse from people whether they lived in Yorkshire or Scotland.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
She comes across as a seriously desperate woman who thinks Scotland is a key player in everything and what's her obsession with the EU?christ the EU won't take them as they'll need bail outs like Ireland did after a few years.
Her plan is to become independent and to get businesses to move up there in which is just plain stupid...We can all play games and considering they depend so much on us sums her up really....Her obsession will ruin her !!!

You are correct regarding your remark about bail outs. Look at the Royal Bank of Scotland. Perhaps we can transfer that debt.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
In my experience, having lived in many places, inside and outside the UK, how you are treated tends to reflect how you behave and how you interact with those around you.

Maybe Scotland (where i have spent a bit of time, but haven't lived for any length) is entirely different from the rest of the world and Scots are just randomly and systematically abusive to people from England.

Maybe.

But I doubt it.

(By the way, is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Nicola Sturgeon looks a little bit like one of the Krankies)

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
In my experience, having lived in many places, inside and outside the UK, how you are treated tends to reflect how you behave and how you interact with those around you.

Maybe Scotland (where i have spent a bit of time, but haven't lived for any length) is entirely different from the rest of the world and Scots are just randomly and systematically abusive to people from England.

Maybe.

But I doubt it.

(By the way, is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Nicola Sturgeon looks a little bit like one of the Krankies)

Quite, it's not rocket science is it, and the usual suspects are proving the point.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Mel Gibson is to blame for a lot of this.

His anti English films Braveheart and Gallipoli have not helped matters.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I lived in Edinburgh for 18 months and there's absolutely no doubt that a percentage of the population really don't like the English and have a real chip on their shoulder about us. That said it was only ever a minority of Scots who felt strongly about it - the majority I encountered were always pretty chilled about the whole England:Scotland thing.

I've spent a lot of time in both Edinburgh and Glasgow.....I'd say from personal experience the latter has a much higher (or just noisier perhaps) contingent of anti-English. It does feel like a socio-economic split at times, the working classes being more vehemently anti-English.

I'll be up there next week. I'll pop into a few boozers and ask [emoji106][emoji23]

el punal

One of the best quotes about other countries' animosity towards England came from Jeff Probyn, England's rugby prop forward in the early 1990s. It was during a radio discussion about our chances in the Rugby World Cup of 2007 just before we played Australia that he came out with this gem :

"Everyone hates England. The Scots, the Welsh, the Irish, the French. They've all hated us since the Middle Ages."

The presenter replies "But Jeff, the Australians haven't been around since the Middle Ages."

Quick as a flash Jeff says "No, but if they had been they would hate us too!"

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I've spent a lot of time in both Edinburgh and Glasgow.....I'd say from personal experience the latter has a much higher (or just noisier perhaps) contingent of anti-English. It does feel like a socio-economic split at times, the working classes being more vehemently anti-English.

I'll be up there next week. I'll pop into a few boozers and ask [emoji106][emoji23]

I'll be in Edinburgh in May for a break.
You'll have to let us know how the land lies :lolol::wink:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
First went up there to work offshore for BP in 1991, no great animosity, a bit of banter here and there.

Finished my offshore career in 2012 working for Nexen Oil, abuse and animosity vs. the English was rife everywhere I went.

I certainly don't want to hear from people who have never left Brighton telling me about how the Scots are wonderful really - as far as I'm concerned they can take their 3rd world country and f*ck off.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No he doesn't. He just appears to be someone reporting his experiences. As someone posted earlier, much of the English population has Scottish blood in its veins. Certainly in my part of the world 90% of us have. This makes it particularly sad that the old jocular anti-Englishness of centuries has turned into (in many cases) a bitter, hate-filled mindset in the last few decades.

90% you sure. It's a tiny country with very few people. They must have been very busy since the wall fell!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Maybe. But I doubt it.
Doubt away as long as you like; although I'd call it denial.

Now - and be very clear about this - I do not say that all Scots are raging Anglophobes. But a fair few are, and your assertion that how they treat you depends on how you interact with them is rather naive. I'll give you an example of an overheard conversation. One Saturday afternoon, at a bus stop outside Woolworth's in a little Perthshire town - I was waiting for the wife and two respectable looking elderly ladies were standing at the bus stop.
"Bus is late again, then, hen?"
"Aye, 'tis. Ah blame they f.u.k.c.i.n' English".
I rest my case. The bus company at the time, incidentally, was the Scottish based firm Stagecoach...........

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
it's a shame the rivalry is only one way these days

winning at Hampden back in the 70's was very sweet

it wouldn't mean much these days

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here