Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"I'm in a unique situation for a manager because I'm not bothered if I get the sack"

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
However, as I said there is no way clubs with delusions of grandeur like Derby and Norwich would employ Warnock. These clubs are trying to encourage their fans to buy season tickets at this time of year, not depress the life out of them.

Norwich maybe, but Derby have employed George Burley and Nigel Pearson in the last dozen years. And Rowett's not exactly renowned for his fast-flowing attacking football.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I disagree because he is what they both need right now ........a winner.

Sadly you are quite correct. I was about to type 'yes but what has he ever done, er, apart from beat us with his Notts County side in a playoff final, er, get QPR and Sheffield United into the premier league . . . . .'. Yes, a winner.

And a lovely, lovely bloke. Not remotely prone to vendettas, and never guilty of setting his side up to play anti football - yes I'd have him at the Albion any day! Have a look at the cracking football played by Georges Santos in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZDsjY3uFdE

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Derby going for Warnock instead of Gary Rowett or Forest going for Warnock instead of Mark Warburton would never happen. Warnock is good at what he does, but there is a reason why he has never cut it at the very highest level. Any upwardly mobile club are more likely to go for a fresher face with fresher ideas.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As a manager, he knows what he's doing, and he's been successful. Not top, top notch, maybe, but pretty damn decent. What's everybody's problem?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
As someone who has had to watch my team under his management on two occasions, I'd make three observations about him and his managerial abilities.

He is a sound Championship manager who knows that league inside out and is capable, in the main, of getting players playing to the best of their ability.

He is an equally poor Premier league manager whose management techniques don't work with obscenely highly paid players/stars.

He has the ability to still get the fans of a club on his side despite them previously hating him as an opposition manager. It's odd, you end up still thinking he's a wanker but he becomes 'your' wanker and tends to get the fans on his side.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just say Hyypia had gone in February 2015 and we were 4 points from safety - would you still not have taken Warnock?
Warnock would have done considerably better than CH, for the rest of that season.
That's his job and that's what he's good at.

But from then on it all would have gone horribly wrong, which is also what he's good at.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
He's the Championship version of Big Sam. Great for getting a team out of trouble when they're in a relegation dog fight, but not the kind of manager that you would ideally want to take charge if your ambitions were to get promotion.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Neil Warnock recently signed a contract extension to stay as Bluebirds' manager until the end of 2017-18, but is confident about his position because of a lack of managerial talent elsewhere.

"I'm in a unique situation for a manager because I'm not bothered if I get the sack - they can sack me tomorrow if they want," he said.

"If I want another job, I can get another job. That's not being conceited, I just don't see many good managers around.

"There used to be hundreds, you could name them all but the Championship is not like any other league."

Can't say I found it particularly enjoyable watching his team, but I kind of like Warnock. Says it how it is, same as Mick McCarthy.

He's absolutely right of course. If he got binned off by Cardiff, he'd easily get another job. Maybe slightly lower down, but he'd get one. He's got a track record to guarantee that.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I think he's funny. Call him arrogant if you like, but he's right. There are clubs in the Championship- and without a shadow of a doubt in Leagues One and Two- who'd employ him in a heartbeat.

Couldn't imagine the likes of Norwich, Derby, Forest and so forth going for him, but Rotherham have previously given him a job. Wigan might. Blackburn even. He's ideal for a club like Cardiff, as his MO is to create an "Us against Them" mentality, which suits them down to the ground. Imagine if he ever ended up at Millwall: that would be a sight to behold :lol:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
He is being truthful any of the 3 recent vacancies would have gone for him if he was available ie Derby Forest or Norwich

I totally disagree. There are lots of good coaches and Managers out there. They just don't get given the time to do the job.

Vacancies in Management come up because a team is failing and it takes time to work out why, then discard the problems and then implement solutions and even then, only 3 or 4 clubs can succeed in any one Division at a time because Chairmen are spending their own money they want a Return on it before it runs out.

Mike Ashley is the perfect example. He went into Newcastle thinking that because of the support and the fan base he could turn them into a Champions League team within a couple of years. He drank pints with the fans on the terraces and became one of the lads and was loving it. Then when he failed and got the slightest bit of criticism he turned on the fans and anything they call for, he does the opposite to spite them.

He has used Newcastle as a toy and treats people who work under him like shite unless they lick his arse, the way the fans did when drinking with them on the terraces in the beginning.

Other Chairmen treat Managers like shite too. THERE ARE LOADS OF GOOD MANAGERS AROUND but you need to work with them and not look down to like they were nothing. Only when that happens will their investments in a Football Club start to bear fruit.

All this hiring and firing brings a false economy and has made fans start to have the same mentality as the owners. We as fans now demand instant success as well now. Compare that to the 1970s and earlier when Managers were at cubs for 7 or 8 years or more.

Go back to that and England and Scotland and Wales might start producing good managers on a more regular basis again.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
All this hiring and firing brings a false economy and has made fans start to have the same mentality as the owners. We as fans now demand instant success as well now. Compare that to the 1970s and earlier when Managers were at cubs for 7 or 8 years or more..

Isn't this partly down to the money within the game to some degree?

The cost of relegation is so high, thanks to the Premier League riches, that clubs at that level hire and fire at will, because they're afraid to risk going down. That instant-results mentality then trickles down to lower levels, as fans see PL clubs sacking their managers after only winning twice in ten games, and demand the same. The days of someone like Barry Lloyd getting relegated twice with the Albion and keeping his job are long gone.

Sadly it feels like a genie that's been let out of the bottle, and we can never, ever put it back in.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Isn't this partly down to the money within the game to some degree?

The cost of relegation is so high, thanks to the Premier League riches, that clubs at that level hire and fire at will, because they're afraid to risk going down. That instant-results mentality then trickles down to lower levels, as fans see PL clubs sacking their managers after only winning twice in ten games, and demand the same. .

Your right of course but years ago Clubs were owned by maybe 10 or 12 different businessmen in the local community because no one person could afford to solely own a club.

Now with self made Millionaires or even Billionaires, a single person can get total control and act Autonomously and that leaves Managers constantly trying to appease an individual instead of a community.

A Manager then can often be ruled by the owner and not only can he be. He often is. The managers who refuse to let the Chairmen get involved in team selections end up getting discarded until the Childish owners find a Manager who will let him meddle.

So your right. Relegation is costly but if teams were realistic in their Goals and Expectations it wouldn't happen so much. Because one individual often shoulders most of the financial costs on his own now he becomes trigger happy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Derby fella must look at the Albion and think:-

'I wish we could have that kind of consistency'.

He then has to follow that up with...

...'maybe the next manager will be able to deliver it'.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Can't say I found it particularly enjoyable watching his team, but I kind of like Warnock. Says it how it is, same as Mick McCarthy.

He's absolutely right of course. If he got binned off by Cardiff, he'd easily get another job. Maybe slightly lower down, but he'd get one. He's got a track record to guarantee that.

He certainly is in a unique position in that to be frank he's made a living by being sacked!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here