Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anybody Else Getting Just A Wee Bit Bored Of Pop Tart Ed Sheeran?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
OK, fair enough, he's paid his busking dues, and he's patently a nice humble bloke, albeit ginger, and now he's got a record to sell, but the publicity is RELENTLESS. This is a bloke who turns up at The Brits in a suit then gets change into jeans and tee-shirt to go onstage.

A bit like Ellie Goulding. Complete space cadet at The Brits a couple of years back. Now Pantene 'ambassador'.

Don't blame either of those kids, expertly steered by their business managers, for cashing in.

But it's all a bit horrible, no?

And... RELAX :smokin:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It is a bit boring, but I guess I rarely come across either E.S. or E.G., as I don't watch programmes they would feature in, and don't listen to mainstream radio. If I did, I'm sure they'd annoy me more.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
More than a "wee bit". "Music to slash your wrists to" for the most part.

This thread reminded me of somebody connected with the Brit school telling me that Jessie J will pop back to the school from time to time. Unannounced, she will just go and join in a class. Whereas Adele doesn't want to know. Not that I listen to Adele; I'd have no razor blades left.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'm out of touch with yoof music now, and they all tend to irritate me in some ways. I am my Dad.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Yeah don't get me wrong I like the bloke, and his music is better than most shite nowadays but the media ramming him down the throat constantly is beggining to grate, haven't seen the like for a long time.

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
I liked this bit of the recent Grauniad review of his album:

It is built for emotive moments in churches – a bride’s grand entrance down the aisle or a coffin’s tragic descent into an incinerator

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I listened to his album purely out of interest as to what all the hype was about. I still don't get what the hype is about, its a very average pop record with nothing that made me think "wow this guys is a genius". Very boring music with little to engage with.

That said the missus and the kids like it so I'm in the minority.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I listened to his album purely out of interest as to what all the hype was about. I still don't get what the hype is about, its a very average pop record with nothing that made me think "wow this guys is a genius". Very boring music with little to engage with.

That said the missus and the kids like it so I'm in the minority.

It's the same with Adele IMHO. Both decent enough singers with quite catchy songs, but I can't understand how they're so successful. They're what you might call "beige" singers. A safe choice, but not something you'd notice in the background.

Still, I'd rather hear Ed Sheeran than Drake. I REALLY don't get what people like about his music.*

* I use the word "music" in the loosest terms.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
He seems a really nice fellow, hard worker & he played the toilets for a while. I don't begrudge him success.

I'm bewildered by his ubiquity though. The music is so beige, I can't imagine Ed Sheeran being anyone's favourite musician ever.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'm sure I must have heard his stuff at some point or other but honestly would be able to bump into him in the street & not recognise him - the joys of middle age and not wanting to be down with the kids eh?

I'm more a Cradle of Filth chap myself... :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
but the publicity is RELENTLESS.

but the media ramming him down the throat constantly is beggining to grate, haven't seen the like for a long time.

all the hype .

:shrug:

I rarely come across either E.S. or E.G., as I don't watch programmes they would feature in, and don't listen to mainstream radio. If I did, I'm sure they'd annoy me more.

What this lad said /\/\/\/\

I only knew he had a new album out because there was a big pile of them at the check-out at Sainsburys (THAT alone should tell you everything about the MOR nature of the music, for starters!).

If the media you are consuming is boring you, find new media to consume.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Characterless floss to soundtrack the joyless lives of imagination-less thick people on a Tory island.

Being "down to earth" is the last thing anyone should admire in pop music. Subculturalism is still strong, but you kinda sense that one day soon we'll all be pretty embarrassed about this period in mainstream culture.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No..he is very good.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here