Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anybody Else Getting Just A Wee Bit Bored Of Pop Tart Ed Sheeran?

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
I had never heard him until I moved to his home city. It's hard to avoid hearing about him here.

He's even decided Toronto should be called "The Six." So that's what all the trendy hipsters call it now.

Thankfully there's a large contingent of people who want him to f**k off. Basically anyone over the age of 30.

Never understood 'The Six' thing.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Might also explain why he's on every media outlet going....which is the OP's complaint.

It's a positive cycle. He was all over the place promoting the new release, which was very successful, which has driven the album to ludicrous highs, which gets him back on even more media, which makes the album even more successful etc...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Never understood 'The Six' thing.

I did ask someone about it. Apparently it's either to do with the area codes in Toronto, or the 6 original boroughs in the city. Either way, it's a bit crap.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
OK, fair enough, he's paid his busking dues, and he's patently a nice humble bloke, albeit ginger, and now he's got a record to sell, but the publicity is RELENTLESS. This is a bloke who turns up at The Brits in a suit then gets change into jeans and tee-shirt to go onstage.

A bit like Ellie Goulding. Complete space cadet at The Brits a couple of years back. Now Pantene 'ambassador'.

Don't blame either of those kids, expertly steered by their business managers, for cashing in.

But it's all a bit horrible, no?

And... RELAX :smokin:

I see you mentioned Ellie Goulding now I don't get her at all. Voice is just shit. IMHO.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I have heard of him, but have never heard him. One of the advantages of never listening to radio 1 and never watching the sort of tellybox programmes the Ed probably appears on - I'm guessing now: Pebble Mill at One; Ant and Dec; The Des O'Connor show; Magpie; the Lottery programme?

I

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Cannot stand him.

And sick to death of hearing that he broke his effing leg when he was six. Why not now? He might not attempt to make any new music for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's spooky. I broke my leg when I was six. I wonder if we are related.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The Daily Mail like him because he is down to earth and goes out with an old school friend. ( I read this in the barbers and she looks very pretty)

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Not sure why people are so against him, even if you find some of his music bland or not to your taste, he does write it all, play it and sing it all himself. Would much rather listen to ES all day than a manufactured, autotuned Simon Cowell monstrosity.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I have heard of him, but have never heard him. One of the advantages of never listening to radio 1 and never watching the sort of tellybox programmes the Ed probably appears on - I'm guessing now: Pebble Mill at One; Ant and Dec; The Des O'Connor show; Magpie; the Lottery programme?

I

Pebble Mill at One would never lower themselves to Ed Sheeran, they are the home of the proper singer like Paul Shane.

https://youtu.be/ZJvGdOC6D1Y

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I agree with what you've said there.

I find his music mostly boring, but some of it is ok. Where he's gone wrong is adding a rap element to it, and just like any other big pop puppet these days, he collaborates with some rapper, both on stage, and on a single. It just the buissness trying to cash in on both markets, but it's quite sickening. Could you imagine proper artists/bands with self respect doing that?

Seeing him everywhere is beginning to grate. Eventually members of the public will actually believe that he's the dogs. I bet any major record company could do the same with someone similar and it would have the same effect, it just happens to be that he's the one who has been chosen, probably because he ticks a lot of boxes. It's all about victim hood these days, so the public lap up the idea that he was probably bullied at school for being ginger and being a beta.

Fair play to the bloke though, he's got what he wants, but he's probably to stupid to see what he's become.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
My wife and daughter insist on playing his shite in my wife's car (I'm allowed R5L in mine).

Middle of the road shite. This generation's Elton John.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick

I

Radio 1 is terrible these days, it's all geared towards a London audience.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Radio 1 is terrible these days, it's all geared towards a London audience.

Apart from the weekday ten to midnight slot in the 70s, and the later rearrangements (Peel show etc) it has always been a horrorfest of smashy and nicey, assorted other egotesticles, hairy corflakes, and the twisted brain-wrong of one-off man-mentals.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
He currently has 16 songs in the top 20 on the charts. This would indicate that a lot of people don't find him annoying.

Being signed to Warner Brothers probably helps (Asylum Records)

WB know how to get their own way when it comes to money! They have clearly seen his Album as a cash cow and I very much doubt he would have 2 or 3 in the top 20 if it wasn't for them. 16 hits in the top 20 is just ridiculous... He's a decent enough singer, but not that good!

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
I agree with what you've said there.

I find his music mostly boring, but some of it is ok. Where he's gone wrong is adding a rap element to it, and just like any other big pop puppet these days, he collaborates with some rapper, both on stage, and on a single. It just the buissness trying to cash in on both markets, but it's quite sickening. Could you imagine proper artists/bands with self respect doing that?

Seeing him everywhere is beginning to grate. Eventually members of the public will actually believe that he's the dogs. I bet any major record company could do the same with someone similar and it would have the same effect, it just happens to be that he's the one who has been chosen, probably because he ticks a lot of boxes. It's all about victim hood these days, so the public lap up the idea that he was probably bullied at school for being ginger and being a beta.

Fair play to the bloke though, he's got what he wants, but he's probably to stupid to see what he's become.

To be fair to him, it's not like he's just added rapping to his music. Loads of his older, much better music was a lot more rappy. He's actually very good at it. Exhibit A:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXvzzTICvJs

I'm not a fan of a lot of his new, more commersialised stuff but but I can't understand the hate for him. He's a genuinely nice and immensely talented bloke.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here