Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It Could Come Down to Goal Difference, Again!

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Best season for me!! Love all this speculation, self doubt, whatiffery.
Udders must be literally shitting themselves at every game. A bad day for us over the run-in means more speculation and pantshittery regarding a chasing Udders. A bad day for them means END OF EVERYTHING! and a play-off lottery. The pressure on them is huge, with no room for error, something will give.
I think that if anyone is going to get complacent, it will be Udders. The more they hear about 'invincible Huddersfield' the more they will be expecting to walk 'easy' games. We all know what happens then.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not seen one on goal difference, some on here think we're promoted already, hmmm. I believe its very relevant, i'll save this thread until early May.
But you didn't save it, you started it in March......

I haven't counted up how many 'speculation' threads there are but we must be in double figures already.

Maybe GD is just too painful to think about after last season, but we all know it's relevant and could come down to that. Hopefully if it does its between us and Huddersfield not Toon.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
With both ourselves and Newcastle struggling for the consistency of winning results,we should consider that goal difference may well be the telling factor again. I don't think we should ignore it, its clearly now a three horse race and both the other contenders should be viewed on their merits, we can catch Newcastle on goal difference, to ignore it would be costly.

We're currently equal with Newcastle on points. Bugger the goal difference.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Best season for me!! Love all this speculation, self doubt, whatiffery.
Udders must be literally shitting themselves at every game. A bad day for us over the run-in means more speculation and pantshittery regarding a chasing Udders. A bad day for them means END OF EVERYTHING! and a play-off lottery. The pressure on them is huge, with no room for error, something will give.
I think that if anyone is going to get complacent, it will be Udders. The more they hear about 'invincible Huddersfield' the more they will be expecting to walk 'easy' games. We all know what happens then.

If a draw is a bad day they need 4 of them if we average 2 points a game. I doubt Udders are shitting themselves, they are enjoying their football and the chase. They probably don't even care about going through the playoff route via a trip to Wembley.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
We're currently equal with Newcastle on points. Bugger the goal difference.

Why bugger the goal difference? I see no logic in not paying attention to goal difference, if it is within the realm of possibility to catch Newcastle on that front then we should. It could be the difference between champions and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd. One big spanking of a team (Wigan at home for example) would get us right on track.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Why bugger the goal difference? I see no logic in not paying attention to goal difference, if it is within the realm of possibility to catch Newcastle on that front then we should. It could be the difference between champions and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd. One big spanking of a team (Wigan at home for example) would get us right on track.

Yeah I was a bit dismissive. I merely meant that I'd rather not have to rely on goal difference to go up / go up as Champions. Whilst we're still in a position to achieve what we want via hard fought points then that's where the focus should be. Of course that's not to say we can't go and get those points, as you say, with a couple of high scoring drubbings :thumbsup:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Jesus H these threads are boring now, no one can see the future, no one knows so let's just take it one game at a time until it's decided.

Natural to speculate and mentally play around with points and goals. It is all part of the fun/anxiety.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Jesus H these threads are boring now, no one can see the future, no one knows so let's just take it one game at a time until it's decided.

is the absolute correct answer
just do better than udders and **** the rest

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Whilst unlikely to be the deciding factor...
If we have the opportunity, we should look to improve our GD.

Just in case.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005

And yet people read them and people (including you) post on them and bounce back to the top of the board. Ooh look I've just done the same.

Personally I like the analysis. This is great stuff. And the thread is a good point, it could well come down to goal difference, we need goals goals goals :goal::goal::goal::goal::goal:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
If a draw is a bad day they need 4 of them if we average 2 points a game. I doubt Udders are shitting themselves, they are enjoying their football and the chase. They probably don't even care about going through the playoff route via a trip to Wembley.

Fair point. They are safe in the knowledge that the play offs are probably a dead cert for them and anything else is a bonus, which IMO is a comfort zone for them that will keep them below us. I don't think they are focused on the auto places like we are. Different mind set, for us - even keel for an auto spot. For them - even keel for play off spot.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Not seen one on goal difference, some on here think we're promoted already, hmmm. I believe its very relevant, i'll save this thread until early May.

Could you point us all in the direction of those who think that? Thanks.

That, or acknowledge you've just made it up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here