Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It Could Come Down to Goal Difference, Again!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
So nobody said we are home and dry then? And the table takes account of points 1st, GD as a secondary measure, so we should continue to focus on points... end of thread...

Of course, you state the absolute obvious, if you win games, your goal difference is improved, any other result and it doesn't. Lets not discuss anything to do with promotion, performance, player form, fitness because all we need to do is concentrate on points and then a Forest and Brentford result comes along result comes along. What then, the thread is about the potential of us gaining automatic promotion or not and concentrates on the margins in this division, which we know more than any, how cruel it is if you fall on the wrong side. Some, including yourself are seeing this race for promotion as very black and white and clearly its not.
Perhaps all Chris Hughton needs to say to the players is win every game and it will happen, just like it didn't at Forest.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Of course, you state the absolute obvious, if you win games, your goal difference is improved, any other result and it doesn't. Lets not discuss anything to do with promotion, performance, player form, fitness because all we need to do is concentrate on points and then a Forest and Brentford result comes along result comes along. What then, the thread is about the potential of us gaining automatic promotion or not and concentrates on the margins in this division, which we know more than any, how cruel it is if you fall on the wrong side. Some, including yourself are seeing this race for promotion as very black and white and clearly its not.
Perhaps all Chris Hughton needs to say to the players is win every game and it will happen, just like it didn't at Forest.

Look, it is obviously better to have a higher positive GD, but it is more important to secure 3 points for a win (again, obviously), so let's recognise these facts, and not go for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th goal (more than opposition), at the possible expense of losing points (over-emphasising attack over defence). Luckily, there is no danger of CH making the same mistake you are.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Look, it is obviously better to have a higher positive GD, but it is more important to secure 3 points for a win (again, obviously), so let's recognise these facts, and not go for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th goal (more than opposition), at the possible expense of losing points (over-emphasising attack over defence). Luckily, there is no danger of CH making the same mistake you are.

Well, I didn't realise how clever you were, you're first sentence is a complete revelation to me, I didn't realise that we need points to get promoted, ffs. The discussion point is not points v goal difference, are you struggling with what has been written, am I suggesting that we should improve our goal difference at the expense of points, surely these two go hand in hand, win increase goal difference, draw or lose it has a negative effect. Where in my post have I suggested that we go for 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th?
WE have nine games to go, everything counts, have you learned nothing from last season, the post asks a simple question, COULD IT COME DOWN TO GOAL DIFFERENCE to which I seek informed comment, opinions and observations. You seem unable to understand the nature of the post, try reading it again because your last post makes no sense to me at all.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well, I didn't realise how clever you were, you're first sentence is a complete revelation to me, I didn't realise that we need points to get promoted, ffs. The discussion point is not points v goal difference, are you struggling with what has been written, am I suggesting that we should improve our goal difference at the expense of points, surely these two go hand in hand, win increase goal difference, draw or lose it has a negative effect. Where in my post have I suggested that we go for 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th?
WE have nine games to go, everything counts, have you learned nothing from last season, the post asks a simple question, COULD IT COME DOWN TO GOAL DIFFERENCE to which I seek informed comment, opinions and observations. You seem unable to understand the nature of the post, try reading it again because your last post makes no sense to me at all.

Actually, your thread (you initiated this with you 'blisteringly insightful' original post) makes no sense at all, as you now seem to realise, you absolute melt... or do you?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
With both ourselves and Newcastle struggling for the consistency of winning results,we should consider that goal difference may well be the telling factor again. I don't think we should ignore it, its clearly now a three horse race and both the other contenders should be viewed on their merits, we can catch Newcastle on goal difference, to ignore it would be costly.

Just a reminder of the absolute sh1te you posted at the start of this thread... me pointing out to you that points are more important than GD, is so obvious, but also so true... just because it is obvious, doesn't make it stupid to point out your logic fail...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
GD is a secondary factor the obvious must be to attain as many points as possible to avoid the promotion being decided on goals again. In accumulating the points we may improve our GD It is much more important to sit on a 1-0 win than concede a goal late on going for a 2nd and thus only getting 1 point. This where CH comes into his own deciding on what to do and how to finish a game off, long may irt continue.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Just a reminder of the absolute sh1te you posted at the start of this thread... me pointing out to you that points are more important than GD, is so obvious, but also so true... just because it is obvious, doesn't make it stupid to point out your logic fail...

I reckon you've been drinking fella, late night posts that are incomprehensible each one making less sense than the previous and all because your opinion was challenged on pretty vanilla posting. If you need to use expletives on this site then you've very much lost the arguement. Its been interesting to read your texts, but I've still no idea of what your attempting to say. Good luck with any future communications, lets hope they're more understandable.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I reckon you've been drinking fella, late night posts that are incomprehensible each one making less sense than the previous and all because your opinion was challenged on pretty vanilla posting. If you need to use expletives on this site then you've very much lost the arguement. Its been interesting to read your texts, but I've still no idea of what your attempting to say. Good luck with any future communications, lets hope they're more understandable.

I suspect your lack of understanding of my posts is more your problem than mine... others seem to understand where I am coming from... still, carry on with your pathetic personal attack on me, if you must... in the meantime, our beloved club will, I'm sure, continue to strive for points first, and GD second... that's because our manager is not an idiot...

BTW if you think you've won the argument, then I suggest you think again... laughable...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As you point out, Chris can't just magic wins out of a hat, but then he can't just magic and improved GD either. So what exactly are you suggesting with this thread?

Yes, we could miss out on GD. But what are you suggesting we do differently?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
As you point out, Chris can't just magic wins out of a hat, but then he can't just magic and improved GD either. So what exactly are you suggesting with this thread?

I think he's suggesting that we must go for an improved GD, but not recognising that this is a valid, but secondary goal. As far as I can work out, he has offered zero suggestions as to what Chris and the team might do differently to achieve this secondary goal, whilst others have correctly pointed out that sometimes it is better to ensure that a 1-0 (1-goal margin) win is achieved, rather than trying to push on for a 2-goal or better margin, and ending up with 1 or no points, as we concede Sami Tuomas Hyypiä-like, as we over-commit players forward...

Personally, I see the OP as a massive logic fail, but there you go...

I think you raise a rather good question...

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
In the Derby game CH clearly saw an opportunity to improve our goal difference against a team that had given up. At half time he told them to win the 2nd half (confirmed by Sam Baldock). However there will be other games where we have to sit tight for three points over pushing forward.

Liverpool made this mistake against Palace a few seasons back at 3-0 and it cost them dearly.

CH will have to assess each game and make the call. We can't be constantly gung-ho to try and get an extra goal and risking three (or even 1) point.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
In the Derby game CH clearly saw an opportunity to improve our goal difference against a team that had given up. At half time he told them to win the 2nd half (confirmed by Sam Baldock). However there will be other games where we have to sit tight for three points over pushing forward.

Liverpool made this mistake against Palace a few seasons back at 3-0 and it cost them dearly.

CH will have to assess each game and make the call. We can't be constantly gung-ho to try and get an extra goal and risking three (or even 1) point.

Just for balance and because I like to recall it, Liverpool 9, Crystal Palace 0.

Well i would take 8 1-0 wins followed by a 100-0 drubbing by villa on the last day of the season because by then we would be celebrating promotion :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Personally, I see the OP as a massive logic fail, but there you go...
The only time it can really come into play IMO is if the game is already won (which is rare) and the other team are offering little - you keep pushing for the next goal, rather than take it easy. Like when we were beating Bristol last season, and Bobby was reminding the players of GD, wanting them to push for more.

Alex Ferguson always made a big deal to his players about GD, he wanted them to keep pushing. But that was their whole style anyway, so pushing for the next goal suited them, and it goes without saying that they wouldn't have pushed if they thought it increased the chances of the opponents getting back into the game.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well i would take 8 1-0 wins followed by a 100-0 drubbing by villa on the last day of the season because by then we would be celebrating promotion :)
I wouldn't. Champions or not, 100-0 would be headlines around the world and something we'd never live down.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In the Derby game CH clearly saw an opportunity to improve our goal difference against a team that had given up. At half time he told them to win the 2nd half (confirmed by Sam Baldock).
Sorry to be devils advocate, but that doesn't actually mean he was thinking of our GD more than the points. At 2-0, the next goal is still very important. He might have felt that if we relax, Derby would gain confidence and if they scored, we'd get nervous and the result would be in doubt. It's likely he thought that we'd be better off pushing (within reason) for another.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

I posted this thread to provoke discussion on the subject, it was pretty innocuous, it was about us making gains on Newcastle's goal difference, not about taking points v goal difference, by definition its impossible to improve one without the other.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I suspect your lack of understanding of my posts is more your problem than mine... others seem to understand where I am coming from... still, carry on with your pathetic personal attack on me, if you must... in the meantime, our beloved club will, I'm sure, continue to strive for points first, and GD second... that's because our manager is not an idiot...

BTW if you think you've won the argument, then I suggest you think again... laughable...

I can clearly see that others understand your posts by the huge amount of posts supporting your position or are you just dreaming this up, because I can't see it anywhere on here. Where has Chris Hughton come into this, who is saying he is an idiot, only you. You just need to leave this fella and move on, the thread has now been superseded by last nights result as we not only gained no points from our trip to Elland Road, but decreased our goal difference by two.
I have made no personal jibes at you, thats you being too precious and not being able to accept a counter arguement if there is one to your strange posts. Time to move on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here