Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It Could Come Down to Goal Difference, Again!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Perhaps you could enlighten me with the definitive answer? If this forum is not about discussion what are you doing on it?

Right now, there isn't a definitive answer. No-one has any idea as to why you think there is one.

The only time there will be a definitive answer is after everyone has played 46 matches. Even if there was, there's nothing you or me or anyone else on here can do about it.

Aside from that, goal difference could come into play here. So what's your point?

Terrier66

Mar 1, 2017
Best season for me!! Love all this speculation, self doubt, whatiffery.
Udders must be literally shitting themselves at every game. A bad day for us over the run-in means more speculation and pantshittery regarding a chasing Udders. A bad day for them means END OF EVERYTHING! and a play-off lottery. The pressure on them is huge, with no room for error, something will give.
I think that if anyone is going to get complacent, it will be Udders. The more they hear about 'invincible Huddersfield' the more they will be expecting to walk 'easy' games. We all know what happens then.

Speaking as a Town fan, I can assure you that we are not sh*tting ourselves and there is no pressure whatsoever on us finishing in the top two. We have exceeded expectations this year (most of us wanting a top-half finish instead of going into the last few games worrying about relegation). Looks like we'll finish in the Playoffs as I think both you and the Toon will be hard to catch, but you never know! If we lose on Friday night and you both win on Saturday then automatic is probably over for us, but we will still finish in the Playoffs with a shot at promotion which was beyond our wildest dreams at the start of the season.

Good luck to you - I hope whatever happens its us three going up to the Premiership!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Fair point. They are safe in the knowledge that the play offs are probably a dead cert for them and anything else is a bonus, which IMO is a comfort zone for them that will keep them below us. I don't think they are focused on the auto places like we are. Different mind set, for us - even keel for an auto spot. For them - even keel for play off spot.

It's more important for us to be promoted automatically this year than it is for them. Every member of our squad knows that this is his last chance for Bruno to have one season in the Prem. If we don't go up we may have offers for Dunk, Knockaert, Solly, Duffy or even Baldock. The whole squad will be open to good offers.

This could be the last chance for our current squad to be promoted and if we don't it could be about rebuilding again. We have a different sort of pressue for autos, but I think Huddersfield and the fans will enjoy promotion via Wembley more than we would as a team and supporters going through the process.

Just hope the pressure we have will help us. It's as serious as it gets right now so every one of our players needs to be on form and create, and take chances. If pressure makes them do this it will be all good.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The only way that goal difference will be a factor is for the title - personally as long as we get promoted i couldn't give a toss if we finish 1st or 2nd.
Not if Hudds finish a point or more ahead of both us and Newcastle! Given the run that Hudds are on, it's not that rediculous of a suggestion that they could actually win this league.
There was nothing I said that suggested they couldn't - the thread was about goal difference, not if Hudds get more points than us.
You've misunderstood. You said GD won't be a factor for promotion. It could. If Hudds finish 1st and we finish level on points with Newcastle, we will probably miss out on promotion because of GD.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
You mean try to score? Great idea, I hope the players have thought of that...

You're funny.....

Bristol City away, earlier in the season. We were 2-0 up in the first half and settled for that.
Back then it was fair enough, see out the points.

However if a similar situation arises now, we should push on and go for the throat.

Was, what I was suggesting.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
You're funny.....

Bristol City away, earlier in the season. We were 2-0 up in the first half and settled for that.

However if a similar situation arises now, we should push on and go for the throat.

Other side of the coin being, keep it tight so you don't concede. Or take your foot off the gas so you're fresher for the next game.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
You're funny.....

CH admitted several times that we drew too many times early last season and he appears to have learnt from that; we dont too often settle for a draw with defensive subs. But 'going for the throat' implies leaving on offensive players - perhaps even replacing a MF or defender with one. That in turn means more minutes for offensive players, which MAY mean they expend too much energy going for say the fourth goal instead of being taken off to eliminate injury and tiredness risk.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
CH admitted several times that we drew too many times early last season and he appears to have learnt from that; we dont too often settle for a draw with defensive subs. But 'going for the throat' implies leaving on offensive players - perhaps even replacing a MF or defender with one. That in turn means more minutes for offensive players, which MAY mean they expend too much energy going for say the fourth goal instead of being taken off to eliminate injury and tiredness risk.

I may be jumping the gun and presuming too much but I believe that the 3rd place will be occupied by a team with less points than the top two rather than GD. So we must just keep taking the points and let the other teams worry about catching us.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You're funny.....

No, secure the points... they are more important, clearly, than GD... that's how it works...

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Could you point us all in the direction of those who think that? Thanks.

That, or acknowledge you've just made it up.

Please peruse through this thread, there's plenty of evidence right here. The post was genuine having lost out on promotion on goal difference last year, it must come into an overall plan for this season. The rationale is that IF Huddersfield continue this amazing run it possibly could be between us and Newcastle for second spot and may well come down to goal difference. With 9 games to go this race is very far from a fait a complit and we should consider all eventualities. Look at the confident posts on here prior to the Forest game and look what we walked away with, no points and a three goal deficit, i'm not bed wetting it was a genuine observation.
Perhaps those who challenge the post are uncomfortable that the subject matter has been posted because it asks a relevant, if not uncomfortable question on what is, a discussion forum.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Please peruse through this thread, there's plenty of evidence right here. The post was genuine having lost out on promotion on goal difference last year, it must come into an overall plan for this season. The rationale is that IF Huddersfield continue this amazing run it possibly could be between us and Newcastle for second spot and may well come down to goal difference. With 9 games to go this race is very far from a fait a complit and we should consider all eventualities. Look at the confident posts on here prior to the Forest game and look what we walked away with, no points and a three goal deficit, i'm not bed wetting it was a genuine observation.
Perhaps those who challenge the post are uncomfortable that the subject matter has been posted because it asks a relevant, if not uncomfortable question on what is, a discussion forum.

So nobody said we are home and dry then? And the table takes account of points 1st, GD as a secondary measure, so we should continue to focus on points... end of thread...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here