Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Psychologically what brings more pressure? What would prefer?

Seagull Mags

Aug 18, 2016
A - Playing first on Friday before other results come in and try to build pressure on the rest (i.e - Us v derby / Huddersfield v Bristol)?
B- Playing Last knowing what the others have done before you (i.e us this weekend away to Leeds)?

Or C - All playing at the same time?

I would always opt for A trying to build the pressure, however I recall against Reading when Newcastle and Huddersfield drew there 3pm game it gave us all a boost and we went on to win 3-0!

Strange one but the timing of the fixtures could play a bigger part in the promotion race than people think.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
A - Playing first on Friday before other results come in and try to build pressure on the rest (i.e - Us v derby / Huddersfield v Bristol)?
B- Playing Last knowing what the others have done before you (i.e us this weekend away to Leeds)?

I would always opt for A trying to build the pressure, however I recall against Reading when Newcastle and Huddersfield drew there 3pm game it gave us all a boost and we went on to win 3-0!

Strange one but the timing of the fixtures could play a bigger part in the promotion race than people think.

We were discussing this at work the other day, we pretty much all agreed we would rather play first to try and put the pressure on those to follow. Even if you don't get the result you want, there is still pressure on the teams following to take advantage.

But.... there can be no doubt what impact the Newcastle and Huddersfield results had on the atmosphere at Reading.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Playing first. It's definitely better that way. It's unfair on one party or the other to not play games at the same time though.

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
I get a bit confused by all this talk about, so called, 'pressure'.

Top level sports professionals thrive on such stresses, even raising their game when it really counts - whereas psychologically weaker performers might respond by reducing their performance.

We've seen many times top performers like Andy Murray bring out aces when break down in crucial games, or Germany win penalty shootouts, while others, as in golf, succumb to the yips.

The top players know and accept they need to raise their game at crucial times, and are tough enough mentally through practice and skill to be able to do their best under pressure.

The crucial point isn't the pressure itself, but how players handle it. So it comes down to the players' own responses to it, and how much they want to win.

There's been loads of amateur psychology bandied about, such as by David Wagner etc. to no obvious effect - that all misses the point. What counts isn't the pressure but the individual response to it. Mentally tough players would welcome and thrive on pressure knowing to raise their game when it counts. Suggesting that one team therefore has more pressure than another therefore is just suggesting they are psychologically more susceptible than another - or in other words are losers - or in other words is just an insult.

... returning to the question, confident players would prefer playing on the Friday mainly as the game is live on TV as much as anything.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

For fans? It's brilliant to get points under the belt on a Friday night. Leaves you the weekend free to relax and relish the prospect of one or more of your rivals ****ing up.

For players? Any decent manager should just keep his players focused on the next match.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
For fans? It's brilliant to get points under the belt on a Friday night. Leaves you the weekend free to relax and relish the prospect of one or more of your rivals ****ing up.

For players? Any decent manager should just keep his players focused on the next match.

Much easier said than done though..

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Playing last definitely for me.

Best for the play-offs. God forbid.

I think the current danger is complacency

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Easier when you've got a fully grounded manager like CH tho. That's got to rub off on to the players, at least while they're under his direct control, at games and in training.
Is there no end to the blokes depravity?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
But.... there can be no doubt what impact the Newcastle and Huddersfield results had on the atmosphere at Reading.

Not sure about that. I think it was largely because it was a Saturday afternoon, therefore far more booze was consumed and probably circa 5,000 more season ticket holders turned up than for evening games.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
All games played on a Saturday at 3pm would make this debate redundant!

(With a few scheduled evening games, of course)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Anyone who has Player will be able to watch the Jamie Murphy interview straight after the Reading game. He states quite clearly that neither Hughton nor the players knew the other results until the fans started singing 'We're top of the League', and so figured the other games had gone that way.
I've just watched it again to make sure that's what he said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here