Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gibraltar and Brexit

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Pension is not benefit (unless you are a Tory chancellor, one for you there Ernest), it has been paid for by the person receiving it.

Well said sir - in 47 years of continuous employment I never claimed any benefits, but I do collect the pension I paid towards. It makes me so angry pensions are classed as benefits.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
For some reason I read this as being spoken by 'Al Murray, Pub Landlord'

Yes , the reason being you're a bit of a cock who can't fathom that anyone who doesn't share your myopic views isn't some little Englander harking back to the days of empire.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Why not give them back to Spain? The Spanish are our friends. We don't need Gibraltar as military base. The Spanish would not stand for an independent Gibraltar and Gibraltar could not support itself financially

GDP per capita in Gibraltar is typically about the same as the Uk and usually in the top 25-30 globally so not sure about being unable to support itself. Have you seen the number of banks, trust companies and online gaming firms that are set up there ?

The army have a permanent joint operating base there, down to the strategic importance of the rock in overlooking the Western entrance to the Med. It would obviously be vital in any war in the region.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I understand what pot the money comes from and know that some people may have paid in but not all. Personally just think if you decide to leave the country you should lose your right to the benefits we all pay for

And how much did YOU and your self-employed tax-dodging mates pay into MY State Pension? I have paid into it for over 40 years and am quite entitled to collect it when the time is right.

Well said sir - in 47 years of continuous employment I never claimed any benefits, but I do collect the pension I paid towards. It makes me so angry pensions are classed as benefits.

And, very much this as I intend being abroad when I attain my pension date.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Erm, chaps, the state pension is paid for out of general taxation. There isn't some big state pension pot that we all contribute to over our working lives and then get paid out of on retirement. The system is entirely based on there being enough people working to be able to pay those that are retired...

So working person pays taxes, then retired person gets paid from the collected tax.

Pretty rubbish system, huh?! Designed in the days when people were expected to retire and then conveniently die.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here