Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham "ticket forwarding"

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I thought it was infrastructure that causes Tony to lose £25m a year and that the players' wages are, relatively speaking, under control by Championship standards. Could be wrong.
Both.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
The West Ham model seems extremely fan friendly .

The scheme Bozza highlighted is an impressive bit of tech and something it would be good to see Albion introduce but overall you'd be hard pushed not to miss countless stories in the last year about West Ham with fans being extremely unhappy with the un fan friendly approach of West Ham to segregation, stewarding and the overall migration to their new ground. So unfriendly that the club had to completely overhaul their approach after multiple protests, complaints and incidents. Still want Albion to aspire to that ?
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-stadium-segregation-problems-police-presence
https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/january/23-january/new-stewarding-measures-introduced

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
If we aspired to WH ticket pricing , aside from their progressive approach to kids STs, if we got promoted then most ST holders would face a substantial increase. They have one lower band (£289). The rest are considerably higher. They also , of course, have a stadium thats double the size so stadium revenue is not as fixed as BHAFC - so more options.
http://seasontickets.whufc.com/pricing

The devil is in the detail. Considering the running track and the location of those £289 season tickets looks awful

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The scheme Bozza highlighted is an impressive bit of tech and something it would be good to see Albion introduce but overall you'd be hard pushed not to miss countless stories in the last year about West Ham with fans being extremely unhappy with the un fan friendly approach of West Ham to segregation, stewarding and the overall migration to their new ground. So unfriendly that the club had to completely overhaul their approach after multiple protests, complaints and incidents. Still want Albion to aspire to that ?
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-stadium-segregation-problems-police-presence
https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/january/23-january/new-stewarding-measures-introduced

I don't think that anyone is arguing that the Albion should be more like West Ham. As far as I can see our club is the most fan friendly and well run it has been in all the time I have been a supporter. However the tone of last week's announcement and follow up statements and the disregard for unintended consequences did not match the high standards previously set by club management.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I don't think that anyone is arguing that the Albion should be more like West Ham. As far as I can see our club is the most fan friendly and well run it has been in all the time I have been a supporter. .

Agreed but MG who I was responding to was arguing that

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Seems ST sharing is an age old practice and happens at every club anyway.

So how hard do we think our club is going to clamp down on ST sharing next season? Are they going to start checking ID's at home games now and no longer turn a blind eye, or just continue to make sure there's no abuse of adults trying to get in on concession tickets?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hanged means you end up dead. Hung drawn and quartered is correct as the second part is pretty pointless if you've been hanged.

the-hung-drawn-and-quartered-pub-city-of-london-england-uk-EFPG22.jpg

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I find it hard to believe that Ticketmaster are only charging £1.25. They normally charge about 3 times that much for the "admin fees" associated with letting you print your own ticket.

Ticket master ...I hate them more than Crystal Palace.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brighton already has a ticket transfer facility for 1901ers but it's just to send your ticket to a single person I.e. no option to donate it to a pool. It's free as well.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
They are in a financially much better place than us and i get why PB is doing what he is. But it would be great once we are up and established if we could do the same #together

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What a brilliant scheme... Absolutely love the bit about the club facilitating the passing on of spare tickets to other non-ST fans and/or those who can't afford to buy them.

West Ham have also announced today their second consecutive freeze (NB defined as no increase) on their season ticket prices. Adults can buy from £289 and U16s for £99.

Just shows what is possible with a bit of imagination and how in the Premier League you do not have to fleece your fans for every penny on ticket prices unless you really want to.

Agree with you to a degree, although TB has paid £140m for the Amex and Lancing, whereas the novelty toy salesmen who own the Hammers are renting the London Stadium (capacity 60,000) for £2.5m a year, after you the taxpayer paid £272million to convert it into a football venue.

They can afford to be generous.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Agree with you to a degree, although TB has paid £140m for the Amex and Lancing, whereas the novelty toy salesmen who own the Hammers are renting the London Stadium (capacity 60,000) for £2.5m a year, after you the taxpayer paid £272million to convert it into a football venue.

They can afford to be generous.

Is it being generous though? Does sharing season tickets REALLY cost the club money? In my experience the only people I know who have used someone else's season ticket are people that are not going to go anyway. They then fill a seat that otherwise wouldn't have been filled, may buy pies, drink, programme, etc and also may start to get the Albion bug and then get a season ticket themselves. I genuinely believe that sharing a season ticket with someone else is a good thing for the club, both financially and morally.

West Ham are being clever and realising it happens anyway and taking a little cut out of it and benefiting charity in the process. We could easily do a bit of that with the right technology. As someone above has said if they charged £5 to transfer (plus an upgrade if applicable) then it would make quite a bit and I think people would still be happy.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Brighton already has a ticket transfer facility for 1901ers but it's just to send your ticket to a single person I.e. no option to donate it to a pool. It's free as well.

Come now, Herr T. Nobody wants those kind of down-at-heel unfortunates, in the lounges.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Is it being generous though? Does sharing season tickets REALLY cost the club money? In my experience the only people I know who have used someone else's season ticket are people that are not going to go anyway. They then fill a seat that otherwise wouldn't have been filled, may buy pies, drink, programme, etc and also may start to get the Albion bug and then get a season ticket themselves. I genuinely believe that sharing a season ticket with someone else is a good thing for the club, both financially and morally.

West Ham are being clever and realising it happens anyway and taking a little cut out of it and benefiting charity in the process. We could easily do a bit of that with the right technology. As someone above has said if they charged £5 to transfer (plus an upgrade if applicable) then it would make quite a bit and I think people would still be happy.

The Albion seem very sensitive to the issue.

As you know I live in the North West, and season tickets for United and Liverpool in particular are difficult to get hold of. In some families they are handed down from father to son/daughter as a form of rite of passage, and quite a few STH have died but tickets are renewed in their name by the families, as the alternative is being stuck on a 15,000 person waiting list, and then ending up sitting away from your family and friends.

I know plenty of United and Liverpool fans who have a ST but, for whatever reason, and I'm not judging them, will only go to 3-4 matches a season. The rest they sell on a match by match basis to friends, not to make a profit, just looking after their mates. It works for everyone involved, although is at odds with the view taken by the Albion.

The Albion face, for the first time since the early Withdean days, the prospect of every match being sold out or close to being sold out next season, including many away matches (although I suspect that a 12:30 Saturday kick off at home/away to Burnley won't fall into that category).

The recent announcements are their way of dealing with the issue, they have both merits and demerits.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
While Barber's approach may have been justifiable in the pre-Sky days, it is totally unacceptable when games can be moved at a few weeks' notice. We all have lives to lead. Some season ticket holders have to work Friday/Saturday evenings. (As next Sat when, having planned the weekend's gigs around Leeds away and Huddersfield Literature Festival the 5.30 ko means I can't get from match to gig in time and will have to watch the match in a f******* pub in Hudds with a bunch of Terriers doubtless cheering on Dirty Leeds....however much they claim to hate them)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
At those prices I imagine some just buy them to go and watch the BIG teams. I imagine they get a huge amount of no-shows which has prompted that scheme.

I like it though, would be nice to have something similar, esp donating to those who would normally have no chance of going.

Yes but think of the bloke who has to sit next to some poor people for a game though, won't somebody think of the middle classes!!!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Surely life is bad enough as it without making them turn up to see West Ham get systematically dismantled every other week? Seems cruel.

"well things might be bad at the moment but at least i don't have to watch this lot every week?"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As someone above has said if they charged £5 to transfer (plus an upgrade if applicable) then it would make quite a bit and I think people would still be happy.

You say that as though you believe it. I call bollocks.

If the club did this, and charged £5, there would be uproar from all of the usual posters who cannot WAIT for any reason to criticise the club - and the demon Barber specifically (ALL 'bad' decisions are his, right?)

There are at least 4 posters on this thread alone who would be queuing up with their accusations of profiteering - "£5 admin fee? They're taking the piss" etc, etc.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
You say that as though you believe it. I call bollocks.

If the club did this, and charged £5, there would be uproar from all of the usual posters who cannot WAIT for any reason to criticise the club - and the demon Barber specifically (ALL 'bad' decisions are his, right?)

There are at least 4 posters on this thread alone who would be queuing up with their accusations of profiteering - "£5 admin fee? They're taking the piss" etc, etc.

Well maybe, but at least it would formalise a process which at the moment seems a bit too informal. The clubs stance is completely different to what is happening in reality and that doesn't make sense. £5 may be too steep, but something like that would be welcome I feel.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here