Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Iphone or others?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have the Experia Z3 Compact, nice phone... The thing with Apple is all about image at a price. As I have mentioned before, all that cost and they can't make a screen that can't crack.

I put a panzer glass screen on my z3 and now my z5, makes them virtually bulletproof.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Iphone all the way... I have an iPhone for personal and android (Samsung S7) for work... The iPhone is far superior in terms of usability and battery life!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
My iphone 5c battery used to die at about 32% - REALLY annoying..

Changed the battery myself with ifixit kit, and boom, just like a new phone and can use it all the way down to 1% :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not sure it really matters nowadays - all phones have cameras that can take good snaps, apps are generally available on all platforms (although a fair few do still start on iOS before being ported over if they take off) and if you're a heavy user you'll be carrying a battery pack around with you.

I've got an iPhone 7 Plus mainly because everything we have is Apple and they are finally doing a pretty decent job of making sure "it just works" across all devices. It can be useful to type something in Notes on my MacBook Air and then open notes on my iPhone and the text is there immediately. iCloud, Handoff and Continuity work pretty seamlessly now and it's quite impressive.

I still see people write things like "I've got a new phone, please send me your numbers" and I don't understand why. My iPhone backs everything important up automatically every day so when I change phones I just restore the backup and I've got all I need.

Someone above wrote about wanting a memory card slot still. Really? I've not checked the storage on my iPhone since I got it 5 or 6 months ago. I just have for the first time, prompted by this thread, and I have 35gb free. Do people really run out of space nowadays?

The iPhones 7 are waterproof, at last, which means I'm less likely to destroy it with rain and sweat whilst out running. The dual lens camera is decent, and you can take some genuinely decent photos with great depth of field with the Portrait mode that the dual lenses makes possible. Other phones may take better photos - I have no idea - but as per muy opening sentence - all phones takes decent photos now. Any "better' must be very marginal.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh - Apple service is also spectacularly good. Some will say "and so it should be given what the phones cost", but maybe it is just getting what you pay for.

I dropped my phone onto a concrete floor from a height in New York late one evening. I picked the phone up, saw the screen was cracked so opened the Apple Store app and made an appointment at the Apple Store in Grand Central Station for 7am the next morning. I dropped my (UK bought) phone off, had a great New York breakfast and by 8am my phone was fixed and back in my hand.

I'm not entirely sure how it works on the other side of the fence, other than noticing that whenever anyone I know has an issue with their phone, it goes back to some shop who then send it away and they are either without a phone for a few weeks or have to use some old one they kept hold of. Archaic.

Oh - Apple service is also spectacularly good. Some will say "and so it should be given what the phones cost", but maybe it is just getting what you pay for.

I dropped my phone onto a concrete floor from a height in New York late one evening. I picked the phone up, saw the screen was cracked so opened the Apple Store app and made an appointment at the Apple Store in Grand Central Station for 7am the next morning. I dropped my (UK bought) phone off, had a great New York breakfast and by 8am my phone was fixed and back in my hand.

I'm not entirely sure how it works on the other side of the fence, other than noticing that whenever anyone I know has an issue with their phone, it goes back to some shop who then send it away and they are either without a phone for a few weeks or have to use some old one they kept hold of. Archaic.

So what do you think then, should he get an Android?

Not really sure which type of phone you prefer. Could you spell it out for us?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So what do you think then, should he get an Android?

Not really sure which type of phone you prefer. Could you spell it out for us?

There's no reason not to get Android. You're almost certainly save money for a start, although I'll add...

1) The "iPhones are more expensive" thing is largely a myth. New flagship phones from Samsung et al come in at the same price when launched.
2) iPhones hold their value considerably better than other phones from what I can see, which helps when the next upgrade time comes around.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I was looking at this the other day after reading the recent new releases showcased in Barcelona. I use my phone a lot for photography and the Huawei P10 plus is getting rave reviews. I might break with my Samsung tradition and look at others

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
There's no reason not to get Android. You're almost certainly save money for a start, although I'll add...

1) The "iPhones are more expensive" thing is largely a myth. New flagship phones from Samsung et al come in at the same price when launched.
2) iPhones hold their value considerably better than other phones from what I can see, which helps when the next upgrade time comes around.

How does the fact that iPhones hold their value considerably better than other phones help when upgrading, you don't give them the old phone back do you.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Iphone 7 £100 more expensive in the apple store than with a contract ( that includes calls text data etc) how can that be better?

What Iphone 7 are you comparing like for like with? There is no way a sim free Iphone 7 is more expensive from Apple than a contract Iphone 7 from another supplier!

Basic Iphone 7 - 32 GB Sim Free from Apple is £599

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
What Iphone 7 are you comparing like for like with? There is no way a sim free Iphone 7 is more expensive from Apple than a contract Iphone 7 from another supplier!

Basic Iphone 7 - 32 GB Sim Free from Apple is £599

iPhone 7
4.7-inch display
SelectiPhone 7 4.7-inch display
From £49.92/mo. with 0% 12 mo.1
Or pay now from £599

My mistake I thought it was 24 months repayment I did not look closley

But

from Apple the phone is 599

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/con...vaXBob25lLTctZGVhbHMvMzJnYi1ibGFjay8mcG89MQ==

with a contract You’ll pay £863.76 in total
This is over the period of your 24 month contract

so 863 - 599 is 264

so that 264 is the cost of the sim/calls/data thats 11 pounds per month over 24 months

Currently my sim only is £12 per month so there is not much in the total price or have I missed something?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Have got a Sony Experia z5 compact. It's fantastic. Small, huge battery life and waterproof (literally - can take it underwater in a swimming pool). I had the z3 before that. No way I would go back to an iphone.

I am also a Z5 Compact user, after using a Z3 Compact previously. Same reasons as above, plus a fantastic 20mp Camera.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
iPhone 7
4.7-inch display
SelectiPhone 7 4.7-inch display
From £49.92/mo. with 0% 12 mo.1
Or pay now from £599

My mistake I thought it was 24 months repayment I did not look closley

But

from Apple the phone is 599

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/con...vaXBob25lLTctZGVhbHMvMzJnYi1ibGFjay8mcG89MQ==

with a contract You’ll pay £863.76 in total
This is over the period of your 24 month contract

so 863 - 599 is 264

so that 264 is the cost of the sim/calls/data thats 11 pounds per month over 24 months

Currently my sim only is £12 per month so there is not much in the total price or have I missed something?

No! You have the numbers worked out correctly now!

Of course the advantage of buying the phone sim free is that you can shop around for a less lengthy contract or even use a pay as go you tariff. You can even sell it if you want to change your phone.

If you have the funds it's always advantageous to buy the phone, and get your calls/text/data separately

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How does the fact that iPhones hold their value considerably better than other phones help when upgrading, you don't give them the old phone back do you.

I always buy my phones outright so I can sell it on when I choose (which is generally when the next one comes out).

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I always buy my phones outright so I can sell it on when I choose (which is generally when the next one comes out).

I too always buy them outright and just have a sim only contract, but never thought of selling them to offset the price.
I keep them and put them back in the boxes !
I have a a very good 3, and Mint condition 4 & 5 back in boxes, never considered the option of selling them.
Always thought its nice option to have a back up if lose/break one, realise i'm not tempting fate but i have never broken a screen of badly dropped one.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
iPhone all the way, signed up to the apple upgrade program, pay £49 per month and every year I get the new iPhone that is released. Have had android in the past but find the os very clunky compared to iOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Got the new iPhone 7 yesterday, I figured, rather lazily, that it's all Apple at the moment so why change it. It's a phone, it works and I can play sudoko, so all is good in my world.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here