Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No.9 Ashley Barnes

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I mean proof he actually was a fan of his back in the day...

I'd be distraught to hear any non-believers are jumping on the Barnes love-in bandwagon. Personally always loved the bloke, particularly cherished his extreme intelligence, both on the pitch and off, gutted when he left.

Apologies. Mis-interpreted your post.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I mean proof he actually was a fan of his back in the day...

I'd be distraught to hear any non-believers are jumping on the Barnes love-in bandwagon. Personally always loved the bloke, particularly cherished his extreme intelligence, both on the pitch and off, gutted when he left.

Just watched him casually go down like a sack of shit against Liverpool and it put a tear in my eye, god I miss his cynical dives when staying on his feet was by far the better option..... COME BACK BARNES :cry:

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Booing your OWN player taking a penalty. It's hard to be MORE of a **** than that, isn't it?

I think you need to let it go, not worth getting angry about surely?
I seem to remember it was more a collective groan than a boo, as the words cows arse and banjo went through people's minds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I enjoyed the Burnley song "We're winning away, we're winning away. How shit must you be? We're winning away.".

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think you need to let it go, not worth getting angry about surely?
I seem to remember it was more a collective groan than a boo, as the words cows arse and banjo went through people's minds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I have let it go, hardly starting a thread about it? There were audible boos in WSU. Hard to believe, I know.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Fair enough Barnes lickers.

He's now on 10 Premier league goals from 53 appearances.

For balance though, Leon Best scored 10 in 32 in the promised land and I don't see many clamouring to bring him back.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Barnes was a funny one. He scored some difficult goals and showed superb technique at times. But so often he went missing and would fluff simple chances .
Is anyone really claiming they thought he'd be a success in the premiership?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
One of my all time favourite players. Along with GM, a complete feck up by the club in not trying to keep.

One of my favourite players too, but I'm not sure you can blame the club for not trying to keep him. I think some of our fans need to take a long hard look at themselves on that move for starters. But ultimately he wanted to go for Premier league football and the offer was clearly too good to turn down. Doubt there was much the club could have done to keep him to be fair.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He's done a lot for his age, still young and plenty of experience. Always does what is asked of him and a true professional. Him and Murray were a good team and it was a shame that they were split up.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Tickles me some on here are suggesting he left because of the boo boys. He left for the same reason many of our players of that era left, and the same reason DS wanted to leave.

Reading this on here or listening to it when out with mates is insufferably boring every time he scores a goal.

It's bad enough with the 'if we had kept Glenn..' statements which is a far more obvious one.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Four, yep 4, goals this season. Let us say treble that for back in the Championship making 12, that is less than Murray, Hemed, Knockheart and equal to Baldock. I was never a Barnes hater, but he really was nothing out of the ordinary. Get over it Erns.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I reckon he sits in his converted farm house out on the Yorkshire moors, with 7 bedrooms, games room, home cinema and solarium and wonder where it all went so wrong...

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
One of my favourite players too, but I'm not sure you can blame the club for not trying to keep him. I think some of our fans need to take a long hard look at themselves on that move for starters. But ultimately he wanted to go for Premier league football and the offer was clearly too good to turn down. Doubt there was much the club could have done to keep him to be fair.

He was the worst payed player in the squad despite being one of the most committed and far from the least talented. Don't try and lay the blame for him leaving on people who didn't value him in the stands, the club are equally if not more guilty of that.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
He was the worst payed player in the squad despite being one of the most committed and far from the least talented. Don't try and lay the blame for him leaving on people who didn't value him in the stands, the club are equally if not more guilty of that.

If you read my post again you'll see I didn't only blame the fans for him leaving. The draw of Premier league football and the money were obviously the clinchers, but yes, I do think the lack of support he often got from large sections of our fans meant it wasn't a hard decision for him to make*.

*Disclaimer: I don't believe fans will ever have ultimate influence on whether any player stays or goes from any club these days. Money is probably the biggest factor, along with regular football and a settled family.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Fair enough Barnes lickers.

He's now on 10 Premier league goals from 53 appearances.

For balance though, Leon Best scored 10 in 32 in the promised land and I don't see many clamouring to bring him back.

Top statage.

My frustration with him was never his ability but more his temperament. When he fouled the ref at Bolton I lost all respect for him as a person and from that point on didn't want him in the team.

Watched the last 20 of the game today and EVERY challenge had an edge to it. Some on here will say that's his winning mentality I will say that he was a liability.

His general game play has improved in the Prem as it would for anyone playing with better players but I wouldn't have him back at all.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here