Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 123
  1. #71

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtomfu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    FWIW: I loved Barnes in a 4-4-2 playing off someone like Glen but found him irritating as one of a front three where his attributes weren't best employed by Gus.
    Gus asked a lot of Ash in the Championship, he lined him up as a wide man in that front three but he was expected to come central and support the striker (especially before Ulloa came in) as well as put in a defensive shift that would put Lopez or Orlandi to shame. He'd often create us an extra man by doing this.

    I get the feeling that Oscar didn't really know what Barnes was or how to use him.

    I was and still very much am an admirer of what he brings to a team but equally concede were he still here doubt he'd be getting a huge amount of game time ahead of the 3 that we have up there. The abuse he got from a large moronity of the Brighton fans was shameful though.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #72

      3 Not allowed!
      As a resident Claret I was quite chuffed with our purchase of him given the positive reviews he had on here, yeah I realised he was divisive but he had something about him which could lead to him being a solid Championship player and possibly a half decent Premier one.

      There’s no doubt he has a side to him, I watched him recently when we lost at Watford. I remember someone describing marking Peter Crouch as having a bike thrown at you, marking Barnes must be similar, except it's a smaller bike wrapped in barbed wire. This works more to our advantage as we play 2 upfront and these days a lot of CBs aren’t used to both having to mark a player. If one of those is deeply unpleasant to do so then, well, you can guess the rest.

      In the same game against Watford where he was winning balls in the air against Prodl (4” taller) and being a handful he was also doing the work of two men (literally). With Hendrick sent off we defended with two banks of four (Barnes on the left) and he’d then sprint upfield to win the balls being targeted in the channel between their left back and the CB. Effectively a massive diagonal run. He was doing this continually.

      Though we lost he never gave up and was a real thorn in the opposition’s side. The ref seemed to suss how he’d milk the falling back into the defender move, he’s also got ghostly elbows which seem to hover around a bit. But I can’t fault him and I only wish our other two forwards were nearly as effective as he. If they were we might have a point or two more.

      As for the comment about his age, he's not reliant on pace so he's got a good 4/5 years to improve or maintain. I can see him developing into a really good forward who drops off and sits between their defence and midfield.
    • #73
      Together (sometimes) Thunder Bolt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      BN1 9BL
      Posts
      30,851


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by spring hall convert View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Gus asked a lot of Ash in the Championship, he lined him up as a wide man in that front three but he was expected to come central and support the striker (especially before Ulloa came in) as well as put in a defensive shift that would put Lopez or Orlandi to shame. He'd often create us an extra man by doing this.

      I get the feeling that Oscar didn't really know what Barnes was or how to use him.

      I was and still very much am an admirer of what he brings to a team but equally concede were he still here doubt he'd be getting a huge amount of game time ahead of the 3 that we have up there. The abuse he got from a large moronity of the Brighton fans was shameful though.
      What a brilliant typo.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
    • #74

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by scamander View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      With Hendrick sent off we defended with two banks of four (Barnes on the left) and he’d then sprint upfield to win the balls being targeted in the channel between their left back and the CB. Effectively a massive diagonal run. He was doing this continually.
      He used to do this a fair bit for us. He's positionally very astute. I get the feeling he understands the game and what's being asked of him very well.
    • #75

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by spring hall convert View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      He used to do this a fair bit for us. He's positionally very astute. I get the feeling he understands the game and what's being asked of him very well.
      I seem to remember him being played out side for your lot, as you say he seems very clued up tactically.
    • #76
      Members wellquickwoody's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Hove/Worthing before Melbourne.
      Posts
      8,432


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I'll disagree with you too. He turned because Wayne Bridge had won the ball and was charging down the left wing. Barnesy hadn't seen where the ref was and clipped his heel. The ref had it in for him, because Barnes had been whinging about the all in wrestling in the penalty area, with one Bolton player actually wrapping his arm around Barnes' neck, felling him, and no penalty given.
      I was there, and I saw it with my own eyes. As was El Pres.
      For the love of Christ (or Barnes in this case), he has gone!
      Simon Jordan, "Palace could be the Manchester United of the South" - That is why I love having the gypsies as our rivals
    • #77
      Members Albion in the north's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Location
      Ooop North
      Posts
      458


      0 Not allowed!
      He was never a favourite with me.
      It was not his ability but didnt like his petulance. I realise he was and still is young.
      However, when he signed for Burnley, a fan asked me what I thought of him and I said that you will always get 100% out of him but that it sometimes comes with a price.
    • #78
      Members wellquickwoody's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Hove/Worthing before Melbourne.
      Posts
      8,432


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by scamander View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I remember someone describing marking Peter Crouch as having a bike thrown at you
      Brilliant
      Simon Jordan, "Palace could be the Manchester United of the South" - That is why I love having the gypsies as our rivals
    • #79
      Objective but passionate
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Posts
      1,433


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I haven't seen Baldock score with his head.
      Baldock has scored TWO headers this season.

      A brilliant one at home to Wolves, and a lucky one at Reading.
      Stand or Fall
    • #80
      cleaning up cat sick glasfryn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2005
      Location
      somewhere in Eastbourne
      Posts
      20,212


      0 Not allowed!
      the test is would you sign him when we get to the premiership?.................. .............................. ........and my answer would be YES
      neuter and microchip and keep your cats in at night and just in case you lose one of the little buggers
      anyone who loses a cat can contact me by pm.
      ONWARDS AND UPWARDS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •