Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No.9 Ashley Barnes

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I'll disagree with you too. He turned because Wayne Bridge had won the ball and was charging down the left wing. Barnesy hadn't seen where the ref was and clipped his heel. The ref had it in for him, because Barnes had been whinging about the all in wrestling in the penalty area, with one Bolton player actually wrapping his arm around Barnes' neck, felling him, and no penalty given.
I was there, and I saw it with my own eyes. As was El Pres.

Hey and you're entitled to that opinion BUT would you not at least concede that Ash has that about his game and that for precisely the reason you say the ref had it in for him that Ash might just might have had a little flick out as he came past? You shouldn't have to question whether or not it was intentional and the club didn't challenge the decision so read into that what you will.

I just dislike that side of his game that means he's almost perpetually in a scrap and often with little cause and only because he has no control mechanism to stop the red mist descending.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hey and you're entitled to that opinion BUT would you not at least concede that Ash has that about his game and that for precisely the reason you say the ref had it in for him that Ash might just might have had a little flick out as he came past? You shouldn't have to question whether or not it was intentional and the club didn't challenge the decision so read into that what you will.

I just dislike that side of his game that means he's almost perpetually in a scrap and often with little cause and only because he has no control mechanism to stop the red mist descending.

This season he has had 4 yellows and one red. We have worse players than that. I think you might be exaggerating a little.
We didn't appeal because there was a chance it could be lengthened for a frivolous appeal.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I don't think he is. I just gave you the evidence, not my opinion, which agrees.

You can cut stats whichever way you like. He's also number 21 in the list of fouls this season, not bad for someone who isn't dirty and who's also only played 18 games (24 including sub appearances).

c156eb07a6c834579785fd2d1695ae70.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You can cut stats whichever way you like. He's also number 21 in the list of fouls this season, not bad for someone who isn't dirty and who's also only played 18 games (24 including sub appearances).

c156eb07a6c834579785fd2d1695ae70.jpg

Glen Murray is top of the foulers in the Championship.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Glen Murray is top of the foulers in the Championship.

Yep. And we're benefitting from Glen's guile this season.

But I just never liked Barnes as much as Glen as I've stated elsewhere.

FWIW: I loved Barnes in a 4-4-2 playing off someone like Glen but found him irritating as one of a front three where his attributes weren't best employed by Gus.

His snide fouling and temperament then detracted from his game in my opinion.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
FWIW: I loved Barnes in a 4-4-2 playing off someone like Glen but found him irritating as one of a front three where his attributes weren't best employed by Gus.

Gus asked a lot of Ash in the Championship, he lined him up as a wide man in that front three but he was expected to come central and support the striker (especially before Ulloa came in) as well as put in a defensive shift that would put Lopez or Orlandi to shame. He'd often create us an extra man by doing this.

I get the feeling that Oscar didn't really know what Barnes was or how to use him.

I was and still very much am an admirer of what he brings to a team but equally concede were he still here doubt he'd be getting a huge amount of game time ahead of the 3 that we have up there. The abuse he got from a large moronity of the Brighton fans was shameful though.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
As a resident Claret I was quite chuffed with our purchase of him given the positive reviews he had on here, yeah I realised he was divisive but he had something about him which could lead to him being a solid Championship player and possibly a half decent Premier one.

There’s no doubt he has a side to him, I watched him recently when we lost at Watford. I remember someone describing marking Peter Crouch as having a bike thrown at you, marking Barnes must be similar, except it's a smaller bike wrapped in barbed wire. This works more to our advantage as we play 2 upfront and these days a lot of CBs aren’t used to both having to mark a player. If one of those is deeply unpleasant to do so then, well, you can guess the rest.

In the same game against Watford where he was winning balls in the air against Prodl (4” taller) and being a handful he was also doing the work of two men (literally). With Hendrick sent off we defended with two banks of four (Barnes on the left) and he’d then sprint upfield to win the balls being targeted in the channel between their left back and the CB. Effectively a massive diagonal run. He was doing this continually.

Though we lost he never gave up and was a real thorn in the opposition’s side. The ref seemed to suss how he’d milk the falling back into the defender move, he’s also got ghostly elbows which seem to hover around a bit. But I can’t fault him and I only wish our other two forwards were nearly as effective as he. If they were we might have a point or two more.

As for the comment about his age, he's not reliant on pace so he's got a good 4/5 years to improve or maintain. I can see him developing into a really good forward who drops off and sits between their defence and midfield.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Gus asked a lot of Ash in the Championship, he lined him up as a wide man in that front three but he was expected to come central and support the striker (especially before Ulloa came in) as well as put in a defensive shift that would put Lopez or Orlandi to shame. He'd often create us an extra man by doing this.

I get the feeling that Oscar didn't really know what Barnes was or how to use him.

I was and still very much am an admirer of what he brings to a team but equally concede were he still here doubt he'd be getting a huge amount of game time ahead of the 3 that we have up there. The abuse he got from a large moronity of the Brighton fans was shameful though.

What a brilliant typo. :thumbsup:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
With Hendrick sent off we defended with two banks of four (Barnes on the left) and he’d then sprint upfield to win the balls being targeted in the channel between their left back and the CB. Effectively a massive diagonal run. He was doing this continually.

He used to do this a fair bit for us. He's positionally very astute. I get the feeling he understands the game and what's being asked of him very well.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'll disagree with you too. He turned because Wayne Bridge had won the ball and was charging down the left wing. Barnesy hadn't seen where the ref was and clipped his heel. The ref had it in for him, because Barnes had been whinging about the all in wrestling in the penalty area, with one Bolton player actually wrapping his arm around Barnes' neck, felling him, and no penalty given.
I was there, and I saw it with my own eyes. As was El Pres.

For the love of Christ (or Barnes in this case), he has gone!

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
He was never a favourite with me.
It was not his ability but didnt like his petulance. I realise he was and still is young.
However, when he signed for Burnley, a fan asked me what I thought of him and I said that you will always get 100% out of him but that it sometimes comes with a price.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
the test is would you sign him when we get to the premiership?........................................................and my answer would be YES

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here