Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nine minute penalty hat trick!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Promotion-chasing Scunthorpe were cruising to victory at Gillingham in League One, until former Iron midfielder Josh Wright spoiled their day with a remarkable display of nerve and composure.

Scunthorpe were 2-0 up with less than 15 minutes to go, before Wright stepped up to place the first of three penalties into the bottom right-hand corner.

Two more spot-kicks followed, with Wright slotting the second into the bottom left-hand corner, and, after drawing a foul inside the box, he picked out the same spot again to complete a nine-minute hat-trick, and avenge a 5-0 thrashing at Scunthorpe back in August.

The 27-year-old was presented with a match ball for his efforts, but he was also shown his 10th yellow card of the season for his celebrations following his third goal, meaning he will now serve a two-game ban.

"I promise you now, I didn't have any worries, because he's in good form and he's scoring goals for fun," manager Ady Pennock told BBC Radio Kent.

"I just knew that he was going to score all three because he's taken them before, and he practices in training as well.

"I just thought the ruling of him getting a yellow card after you score a hat-trick in the atmosphere that we had was very, very harsh."

BBC Sport

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
More remarkable is to see a ref give three spots kicks to the same team in 9 minutes!

Most of the ones I see would bottle giving another once they have given one.

Dec 29, 2011
More remarkable is to see a ref give three spots kicks to the same team in 9 minutes!

Most of the ones I see would bottle giving another once they have given one.

The third must have been a clear penalty, even a bit of doubt over it and the ref wouldn't have had the nerve to award the third penalty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here