Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craig Mackail-Smith

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
30+ Championship goals even over that time frame would suggest he was Championship quality albeit nowhere near top level.

Those 30 goals came despite playing for a relegated team and for us often isolated and rarely playing to strengths.

Also, no would could deny CMS's effort, he would chase defenders for England (or Scotland even). A trier will always endear himself to some fans,

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Opportunities in a system that didn't suit him. He'd have done very well in the team we have now.

Opportunities in a league that didn't suit him, more like.

08/09 League 1 P'boro played 53 scored 26
09/10 Championship P'boro played 47 scored 11
10/11 League 1 P'boro played 56 scored 35
11/12 Championship B'ton played 50 scored 10
12/13 Championship B'ton played 31 scored 11

Pretty conclusive that League 1 was his level. Surely you're not claiming that Posh changed their tactics in 09/10 and then changed them back the year after?

I got loads of grief when I stated that he was basically Alex Revell mk2 but I was proved right.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Pretty conclusive that League 1 was his level. Surely you're not claiming that Posh changed their tactics in 09/10 and then changed them back the year after?

I got loads of grief when I stated that he was basically Alex Revell mk2 but I was proved right.

I think that's pretty conclusive proof that he was too good for League 1 and OK at Championship level.

That's the point I'm making, he was nowhere near good enough to be absolute top level but I saw enough of him pre injury and before Poyet's tactics impacted his confidence to know he could have been a decent Championship player rather than average at best.

Also remember Posh went from scoring 100+ goals in league 1 to a relegation fight against better opposition it's quite natural his goals per game ratio would drop as a result.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think that's pretty conclusive proof that he was too good for League 1 and OK at Championship level.

That's the point I'm making, he was nowhere near good enough to be absolute top level but I saw enough of him pre injury and before Poyet's tactics impacted his confidence to know he could have been a decent Championship player rather than average at best.

Also remember Posh went from scoring 100+ goals in league 1 to a relegation fight against better opposition it's quite natural his goals per game ratio would drop as a result.

But P'boro still went for attacking at all costs, to CMS's strengths in the Championship. Ferguson made no attempt at caution. CMS simply struggled against faster, more powerful, more savvy defenders in the Championship at both P'boro and the Albion.

Witnessed it time and time again before his injury. Defenders passed amongst themselves, whilst CMS tried in vain with his shuttle runs to be a nuisance. £2.5m was a lot of money to pay for that enthusiasm.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I'd say that Posh's bad form was linked to CMS's inability to score in the Championship though rather than the other way around.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012

11/12 Championship B'ton played 50 scored 1067

Spot on he was never a championship player.you will always get people defending him not givern enough time yadar yadar yadar...ulloa was class from day one now he was the real deal

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Seems reasonable to me. Beats the 12 goals Murray got for us.
Not too bad for a first season in the Championship, despite being in a relegated side.
Lots more than Murray got. Looks good.
While Murray got 7 from 43.
Yep, he couldn't fit into Poyet's style. Still, 11 from 29 Championship games is hardly the worst record.
Pretty conclusive that League 1 was his level.
It certainly isn't.

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
Square peg in a round hole here

We bought a player with a certain set of skills ( which clearly worked ) and then tried to play him in a completely different role. Poyets fault, not the player

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not too bad for a first season in the Championship, despite being in a relegated side.
Yep, he couldn't fit into Poyet's style. Still, 11 from 29 Championship games is hardly the worst record.
It certainly isn't.

Love the way you have deliberately omitted the comparison the season that Murray got Palace promoted with his goals. How selective is that!

Anyway it's good that some of our fans thought CMS was better value than Murray, can't see it myself.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Anyway it's good that some of our fans thought CMS was better value than Murray, can't see it myself.

Does anyone really believe that?

Surely most would say:

Murray is a top 6 Championship/bottom half Premier League striker

CMS is/was a top 6 League One/bottom half Championship striker

No team has got to the Premier League relying on CMS goals or ever will.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Love the way you have deliberately omitted the comparison the season that Murray got Palace promoted with his goals. How selective is that!
What that shows is that a player could go from 6 goals (or whatever it was) in a season to 30. If Murray had been badly injured after his first year with Palace then people would look back and say it's been proven that he wasn't good enough for the Championship. Buzzer was trying to show that CMS wasn't good enough, but I just highlighted that he did better than Murray a lot of the time, and we don't know how a fit CMS would have done in a team like ours.

Anyway it's good that some of our fans thought CMS was better value than Murray
Do they? I've never seen anyone say that.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What that shows is that a player could go from 6 goals (or whatever it was) in a season to 30. If Murray had been badly injured after his first year with Palace then people would look back and say it's been proven that he wasn't good enough for the Championship. Buzzer was trying to show that CMS wasn't good enough, but I just highlighted that he did better than Murray a lot of the time, and we don't know how a fit CMS would have done in a team like ours.

Do they? I've never seen anyone say that.

My eyes told me CMS wasn't good enough at our level when he was here. A striker with terrible ball control is not good enough for a team trying to get promoted out of the Championship imo. Forget after the injury, he wasn't good enough before it, again I am talking about what my eyes saw.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My eyes told me CMS wasn't good enough at out level when he was here. A striker with terrible ball control is not good enough for a team trying to get promoted out of the Championship imo. Forget after the injury, he wasn't good enough before it, again I am talking about what my eyes saw.
Plenty here would have said the same about Barnes, but they can't now as he's proved them wrong. CMS can't prove anyone wrong now. He wasn't good enough to play as a lone target man, he didn't have the all round game to fit to our system. But if he (prior to injury) was in the team we have now, up front with Murray, he'd do well.

That's not to say he'd do as well as Sam, he wasn't as good as Sam IMO. And Sam is another who'd been written off on here as not good enough, but he's had the time and team setup to prove the doubters wrong.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I think a lot of the criticism of CMS is unjustified. He was playing for a mentally arthritic manager who's sides invariably took 20 minutes to get the ball to the halfway line, thus making it impossible for us to capitalise on his pace. I believe that CMS was worth the money when we bought him. You wouldn't buy a Ferrari and refuse to put petrol in it, would you?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think a lot of the criticism of CMS is unjustified. He was playing for a mentally arthritic manager who's sides invariably took 20 minutes to get the ball to the halfway line, thus making it impossible for us to capitalise on his pace. I believe that CMS was worth the money when we bought him. You wouldn't buy a Ferrari and refuse to put petrol in it, would you?

Wonders will never cease CMS being compared to a Ferrari :lolol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It certainly isn't.

Utter tosh. As others have said, you've ignored the seasons where Murray has scored loads of goals and as for 11 goals in a struggling side, that Posh side was completely geared towards CMS's style of play, they played all-out attack and he still didn't score. The fact that that Posh were relegated doesn't automatically equate to strikers not scoring. The same season Hooper got 19 for Scunthorpe and they finished 4th from bottom. This season Tammy Abraham has scored 19 goals and Brizzle City are 3rd from bottom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here