Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craig Mackail-Smith

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Not Championship quality, especially top of Championship quality.

Poyet blew £2.5m of TB's money on that, whilst arrogantly refusing Muzza a pay rise.

CMS was/is by all accounts a lovely bloke, he always gave his best and good luck to him.

He was comfortably Championship quality before his injury. Played in a formation and style which didn't play to his strengths, he still went about his business without ever complaining and still scored goals at a reasonable rate. An instinctive finisher but given time in front of goal you never backed him to score.

The Burnley 9 man game typified his spell with us. Had a very good game, ran his nuts off but couldn't finish his dinner let along a presentable chance on the day.

By the end of his time with us he was a broken man both mentally and physically. But I wish him well, a whole hearted player.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Thought he was still at Luton

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Considering he is perceived as a failure with us he did have some great moments and no player ever tried harder than he did.

Just shows what a fine line there can be between success and failure.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We really liked him at the start, remember how good he was away at cardiff and pompey, scored a few, ran his socks off, I'm trying to pinpoint where it started to go wrong, last couple of months of that season? After the injury?

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Tapatalk

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Considering he is perceived as a failure with us he did have some great moments and no player ever tried harder than he did.

Just shows what a fine line there can be between success and failure.

Exactly this .

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
His goal at Burnley was one of the greatest goals that I've ever seen. His attitude and work rate were an example to all. He just happened to have the misfortune of playing for a mentally arthritic manager.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
He's at home there

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Had my doubts when I checked the Peterborough fans forum on the day he signed for us. Far from calling him a judas they were delighted to get that kind of money. They knew.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Had my doubts when I checked the Peterborough fans forum on the day he signed for us. Far from calling him a judas they were delighted to get that kind of money. They knew.

I don't think so. He was simply a very good goalscorer that didn't fit into Gus's rigid system of playing with only one main striker. If he had signed for someone else he could well have scored plenty of goals at a higher lever, and made more of a name for himself.

Then of course came that serious injury, and he just isn't the player that he once was.

Good to see him scoring goals again though, even if it is just two so far!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't think so. He was simply a very good goalscorer that didn't fit into Gus's rigid system of playing with only one main striker. If he had signed for someone else he could well have scored plenty of goals at a higher lever, and made more of a name for himself.

Then of course came that serious injury, and he just isn't the player that he once was.

I think that he could have done the same job for us but alongside of Murray as per SB but not instead of with him playing off of GM flicks and knock ons.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think that he could have done the same job for us but alongside of Murray as per SB but not instead of him playing off of GM flicks and knock ons.

Maybe, but one of the issues for me was his first touch, which was nowhere near as good as it needed to be for the Championship. The number of times his second touch was a tackle used to infuriate me. Baldock, whilst rarely prolific, has far, far more technical ability and footballing intelligence than CMS will ever have.

Wish him well of course, but the labrador nickname was well earned.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Maybe, but one of the issues for me was his first touch, which was nowhere near as good as it needed to be for the Championship. The number of times his second touch was a tackle used to infuriate me. Baldock, whilst rarely prolific, has far, far more technical ability and footballing intelligence than CMS will ever have.

I think that his first touch was down to the fact that we hit and hoped it would be near him or he could run onto it. Had the approach work been better he would have done better IMHO.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Whilst never the most technically gifted of players, I do feel his touch completely deserted him post injury and when confidence had ebbed away. I do recall in the early part of his career with us his hold up play and touch was reasonable.

By the end the Forest cross excepted he was a shadow of his former self.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here