Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saturday shoppers in Brighton

What has always amazed me and perhaps Lord B knows the answer but all the buses from The Steine go up North St to either Churchill Sq or turn to go to the station. Why do none go along the front and turn into West St especially those like the 48, 7 or 27 which go to the station. At least one could serve the front and the Brighton Centre etc.

Because there are no shops on the seafront and hardly any in West Street. The overwhelmingly popular destinations for shoppers are North Street and Churchill Square itself. People want to get to the main destinations quickly, without the longer journey times that a route via the seafront and West Street would require.

Going out of town, sending all buses the same way tends to ensure that buses leave the city centre with minimal intervals between departures. Experience shows that high frequencies improve the perception of reliability and maximise ridership.

Last edited:

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
We just need to get over the idea that you can drive into the centre of an incredibly popular city and park 1 minute walk from the seafront or shops without hassle. Lots of people with this idea = traffic.

Public transport is so much more easy and relaxing (aside from the Southern debacle of course). If your smart get a joint rail and bus tickets and get on and off buses as you wish for one fee.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I would rather stick knitting needles in my eyes then go 'Shopping ' in ' Brighton ' on a ' Saturday '

A good example of why it is important to know the difference between then and than.

You've just told us you want to stick needles in your eyes followed by going shopping in Brighton on a Saturday. It would make reading the price tags quite difficult.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
When the greens ran Brighton and Hove that's a loose word they had the worst record on recycling and if they had continued it would virtually impossible to drive into Brighton. If I am going out in Brighton I will oftern drive to Hove and park in friends drive and get a bus in and back but this is getting more difficult.:ban:the car
Don't get me wrong I am concerned about the environment but traffic jams cause more health issues.
Freedom of choice.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The centre of Brighton needs a serious transport overhaul IMHO. The bus situation on North Street, Churchill Square and Western Road it utter chaos. Bus after bus limping forward, swinging out all over the place and never seemingly able to stop near their actual designated Stop. Time for trams.

With the lasnscape of Brighton, hills basically, trams would be a perfect fit. Time to ban city centre vehicles and impose night deliveries on the high street shops.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
With the lasnscape of Brighton, hills basically, trams would be a perfect fit. Time to ban city centre vehicles and impose night deliveries on the high street shops.

This. The Tramlink in South London would be an excellent model to base it on (the Sandilands tragedy was a one-off freak accident that should never have happened). As you say, would be a perfect fit. Tourists and locals alike would love it. Could even extend it to the Amex and the Uni.

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
I get bus 27 from westdene..

Me, the wife and 3 children £10-£11 pound day saver!!

Taking the car cost £8 plus anyway, kids enjoy bus more then car and no hassle of car parks/traffic

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I work along the London road and every Saturday and Sunday the traffic will be nose to bumper from about 10am. Heaven knows where they all go, and they are still queuing at around 4pm some days. A P/R should be provided on the A23 coming into town. A bus lane covers most of the route from there

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Didn't there used to be trams years ago

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__8913.aspx

'TRAM-CARS AND TRACK: Fifty cars were initially purchased for the system, and 116 replacements were built over the years at the corporation's tramway depot in Lewes Road . All were four-wheeled, open-top, double-decker vehicles in a burgundy-and-cream livery, operating from trolley wires at 550 volts d.c. with 40-50 b.h.p. engines. The cars, several of which were illuminated with coloured bulbs, were six feet wide, nearly thirty feet long, and ran on a gauge of three feet six inches. (A model of a Brighton tram-car may be found in the town museum .) The tracks were laid in the centres of the roadways, and the road surface was then laid with wooden blocks to bring it up to the same level. Tram stops were marked by studs in the middle of the road.

CLOSURE: The increasing suburban development of the 1930s, combined with the lack of flexibility of the tramway system, prompted the corporation to opt for a new network of both trolley- and motor-buses. Tram routes were consequently withdrawn and replaced by buses from 26 April 1939 until the last Brighton tram ran from Upper Rock Gardens to the Old Steine at 2 a.m. on 1 September 1939, bringing to an end thirty-eight years of almost accident-free service. An estimated 52 million miles had been run, 629 million passengers carried, and a profit of £54,000 made by the Brighton trams.
Most of the Brighton tram-cars were scrapped for the war effort, but one does survive; no.53, dating from 1937, was discovered on a Partridge Green pig farm and awaits restoration. The other main relics of the tramways are the shelters in Ditchling Road ( Florence Place ), Queen's Park Road ( Pepper-Box ), and Dyke Road (reservoir); another has been used for the Aquarium Station of Volk's Railway , one may be found at the Stanmer Rural Museum, and two more have been removed to the Chalkpits Museum at Amberley. The tramway depot in Lewes Road is now the depot of Brighton Buses, but it retains windows etched with the words 'Brighton Corporation Tramways'. At the corner of Dyke Road and the Upper Drive is a standard that formerly supported the tram supply wires; it bears the initials 'BCT' and the borough arms.'

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd much rather shop in Chichester, I guess that just makes me old

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Another reason I like living in Brum.Took the Grandson into town on Saturday to spend his pocket-money.Six minutes into the City centre,and upstairs from New Street station into Foyles,John Lewis,and then 2 minutes walk through the link to the Bull ring for the Disney shop,Entertainer,Build-a -Bear etc.Tram service to Wolverhampton,train to Walsall,bus to Merry Hill,integrated transport.Just shows Labour works in local government.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'd much rather shop in Chichester, I guess that just makes me old

Seconded. If it's just not frills shopping with maybe lunch and coffee we just bomb over to Crawley. Yep, it's soulless but you can park, it's never busy, it's all in one place and cheaper.
Brighton is okay but there's only so many times you can wonder through North Laine gawping at Hello Kitty merchandise and quirky window displays while sidestepping hipster dick'eds and students who still think it's a novelty to be a screaming queen.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
When the greens ran Brighton and Hove that's a loose word they had the worst record on recycling and if they had continued it would virtually impossible to drive into Brighton. If I am going out in Brighton I will oftern drive to Hove and park in friends drive and get a bus in and back but this is getting more difficult.:ban:the car
Don't get me wrong I am concerned about the environment but traffic jams cause more health issues.
Freedom of choice.

What was it about the Green-led administration which stopped driving into the city? They didn't close any roads. They didn't ban any cars. They continued with the cycle paths started under the Tory-led administration.

There has also been no change of direction (no pun intended) on traffic management policy in the city since Labour became the lead party.

So your post doesn't really make much sense.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I spent a fair few years of my life living and working in Brighton, it never bothered me driving around Brighton.
Never drive into central Brighton now though, I use the bus or train.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here