Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

fair play Steve McClaren

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm a little concerned that he thinks we're sure to go up. Not sure he's a great judge, although his analysis tonight was spot on.

I am pretty sure it was Schteve's way of mind games to say that before our game. Almost certain in fact. We will never know for sure.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
I doubt that he will last the season. Vast amounts of money spent, decent players who are not performing and no chance of reaching the play offs. Time to bring in a new manager who would then have a chance to access his playing staff and plan for next season

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I am pretty sure it was Schteve's way of mind games to say that before our game. Almost certain in fact. We will never know for sure.

To be fair he also said it after the match in various interviews including this Sky one.

"“That was the benchmark of the league, the championship. Brighton were fantastic, physical. [They had] 11 men out there. They can play too. They play direct, they’re full of running, and that’s the benchmark. Since coming back , there is not many teams that have done that to us. We were 2nd best. We didn’t deserve to win. They’ll go up, they’ve strength , organisation, physicality all around. I’m very impressed with them."
http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10797567/brighton-display-impresses-mcclaren

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
To be fair he also said it after the match in various interviews including this Sky one.

"“That was the benchmark of the league, the championship. Brighton were fantastic, physical. [They had] 11 men out there. They can play too. They play direct, they’re full of running, and that’s the benchmark. Since coming back , there is not many teams that have done that to us. We were 2nd best. We didn’t deserve to win. They’ll go up, they’ve strength , organisation, physicality all around. I’m very impressed with them."
http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10797567/brighton-display-impresses-mcclaren

Of course he did as it plays into his pre match comments - win win for him. We'll never know but Schteve is the sort of fella that thinks he's being clever in his pre match comments... And you believe everything a man on the TV tells you ;)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
"Win Win" - blimey. He's not far off getting the sack.

That has nothing to do with his comments on the match... Before and after.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
That has nothing to do with his comments on the match... Before and after.

Not sure how being disingenuous about the albions promotion chances helps him in any scenario but you obviously believe he is so fair enough

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
They have an outrageous number of expensive strikers on their books but I wouldn't swap any for murray or baldock.

I'd have Hughes for us tho

Derby have a squad of quality players, many who would improve our squad but for some reason they aren't gelling together currently

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I don't care about them or him.

I'd be pretty hacked off if I was a fan though. They have all the pieces required to put together a promotion winning team, and have probably had that for a few seasons, yet whoever is trying to fit them together is a bit impaired. Long may that continue.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I just think they were tactically inept, which has to be McClaren's fault. They had no plan B - like us under Poyet. Sometimes you just have to go more direct and throw a few longer balls into the box. They won 3 or 4 free kicks in our half which should have given them the opportunity to fire something in for Bent and Vydra to scrap over. They took every one of these quickly and short gaining no advantage from them whatsoever. With the players they have at their disposal they should be challenging at the top end of the table.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Derby have a squad of quality players, many who would improve our squad but for some reason they aren't gelling together currently

Hmmm... Dont wish to argue, but cant think of any of their players that would walk into our first team.
Hughes for who? Kayal or Stephens?
Ince for Knockeart?
Nugent or Bent for Murray or Baldock?
Their centre backs were atrocious.
Christie maybe as a long term replacement for Bruno (Perish the thought)
Olsson at left back? Better than Poc or Bong? Rosenior?
Carson?????
That thug Bryson who came on for them in the second half?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Hmmm... Dont wish to argue, but cant think of any of their players that would walk into our first team.
Ince for Knockeart?
Carson?????

The one player who I think may improve our team is Johnny Russell, and he couldn't even make their starting eleven.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I don't rate him as a judge because of the following:

1. He is Dutch
2. He cost England a place in the Euros
3. He described a fantastic O'Grady assisted Lua Lua goal as lacking quality.(When it was ****ing Brilliant)
4. He is Manure bred.
5. He is perfectly prepared to 'Poyet' Derby as soon as bigger clubs start sniffing about.
6. He has a Dutch accent.
7. He cracks like humpty ****ing dumpty when any pressure is applied.
8. He might be a good coach and a brilliant number '2' but he'll never be a good number '1' or leader of men (see point 7).
9. The hair island thing and brolly shit
10. He is actually Dutch and I have proof.

Agreed. Especially points 1, 6 & 10.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I'm a little concerned that he thinks we're sure to go up. Not sure he's a great judge, although his analysis tonight was spot on.

Nah. He can't lose making that comment. If they had not lost it makes their result look better and he'd privately claim his comments increased pressure on us. Since we won he looks like he called it right. The bloke is an absolute grade A weapon who shops at Aldi for mind games (nothing wrong with Aldi mind you but mind games are not their forte).

Also, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaair islaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Ince for Knockeart?
Carson?????

I think Hughes is a tremendous talent whose career has stalled at Derby now. I don't know why he signed a new contract with them (apart from the £££ obviously) when he needs to move on and stretch himself in the Premier league.

Any clubs going up this season could do worse than consider a bid for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here