Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kayal

It's hard to pick up the pace of the game in cameo appearances.

I suppose Stephens keeps us ticking along but Kayal is the one that drives us from the central 3rd into the attacking 3rd putting the opposition on the back foot. Without him I don't think we penetrate enough through the middle. Just my opinion like!

Sidwell and Norwood don't offer that dimension.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Spot on - the story of the season is just how well we've done without this dimension - fair play to Sidwell who has been solid. The main reason though has been the incredible talent of Knocky, the goals of Murray and last but not least Baldock finally adding goals to his game

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
I was fortunate enough to be invited by my son to go with him as he had won 2 pass tickets to the east stand 1901 area and after the match most of the players went into the players lounge post match through the 1901 concourse, Bruno was one of them, he didn't seem to be inconvenienced in any way as he walked through the concourse or while he stood having photos taken with the younger seagull supporters and when we left he followed us down the stairs without seemingly any problem whatsoever, so hopefully his withdrawal was only precautionary and with the game basically won at that time also to give Tomori some minutes and experience. This is my opinion only as I didn't have the nerve or cheek to ask him. My opinion also, but that was one of the best all round performances from a Brighton team I've ever witnessed, they were immense from Stockers to Murray, great performance great result, we're on our way ( please, I hope, sorry if I'm getting ahead of myself)

Cant agree with your comment on Stockers being immense old boy ,as he hardly touched the ball and at one stage I thought he was going to put on his shades and bring out a deck chair and a glass of pimms .:cool:
Sorry couldn't resist ...yes they were all immense

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
As with Rosenior, Kayal was fantastic last night and he and Stephens were back to their partnership of last season. Hopefully they will both be available for the last 9 games, as that will help us massively.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
3 players who can only dream of crossing a ball as sweetly as Jiri.

In fairness you have listed them in order of crossing shitehousedness.

Tonight, against a team susceptible to crosses and set pieces, those 3 would have had half the game Jiri did.
As said earlier had Murray not signed his contract he and Jiri would have had a first half hat trick of goals and assists.

And Skalak is fast and tenacious. And a little bit nasty. Last night he was frightening. If he can keep the apparently newfound Flair coming (someone has been coaching him hard I would guess), he will be immense for us as the season finale unfolds.

Back to the thread title: yes, we were all looking at each other where I sit, nodding with aproval and pleasure: the man Is Back, and for the first time this season we have the Kayal/Stephens team back together, properly (Stephens' mind notwithstanding, and he seems fine to me).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The kaz at the start of last season is what I meant. We are at our best when we go at teams and scare teams. Skalak , and Norwood for that matter, slow it all down and make us cautious. Skalak was good last night but this was partly because of rosenior giving them so much to think about. Skalak is usually pretty anonymous if his set pieces are off.
Also being picky on least night, he should have at least shot on target when he had that great chance early on. But he misses. Could have been important that

Skalak slow . . . cautious? Were you at the game last night? This bloke, this is Skalak, the one who ran very fast, did some nifty Flair moves, and was very very frightening (like thunderbolt and lightening):

skalak.jpg

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Skalak had a very good game. He was an excellent player for us in the 2nd half of last season, and the first third of this one. No need to be silly.

I don't rate Skalak as highly as you do, perhaps prompted by my Solly March-tinted spectacles. Skalak's certainly got numerous positive qualities, especially his work rate and his delivery, but he often seems one dimensional. I think you go too far when you say that he was excellent in the second half of last season: he was good, no doubt, but I wouldn't go further than that. He really wasn't up to too much in the first third of this season, and most discussions of him focused on his lack of pre-season, tiredness, etc. He was great against Norwich, granted, but I can't remember too many other games when he shined.
Last night, however, he was brilliant. He barely put a foot wrong, made all the right decisions when he had the ball, was tactically astute, dovetailing brilliantly with Calde mark 2, who he covered for when he bombed forward. Skalak's usual delivery and passing was up to his very best, but he also had a bit of variety to his game, and actually decided to take on defenders at just the right moment.
I can see why he was given MotM, although I'd have just given it to Kayal who was back to his regal best.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I was fortunate enough to be invited by my son to go with him as he had won 2 pass tickets to the east stand 1901 area and after the match most of the players went into the players lounge post match through the 1901 concourse, Bruno was one of them, he didn't seem to be inconvenienced in any way as he walked through the concourse or while he stood having photos taken with the younger seagull supporters and when we left he followed us down the stairs without seemingly any problem whatsoever, so hopefully his withdrawal was only precautionary and with the game basically won at that time also to give Tomori some minutes and experience. This is my opinion only as I didn't have the nerve or cheek to ask him. My opinion also, but that was one of the best all round performances from a Brighton team I've ever witnessed, they were immense from Stockers to Murray, great performance great result, we're on our way ( please, I hope, sorry if I'm getting ahead of myself)

Agree with the bit about Bruno at least, and hope the rest comes true. Bruno was also walking around the pitch, clapping the fans at the end of game, and was moving easily. CH has said he expects the back four that finished last night to start against Leeds. I suspect that there's a good chance that Bruno and Pocognoli might be available too for Leeds, but if not, we've got a couple of weeks thereafter for them to recover.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Skalak slow . . . cautious? Were you at the game last night? This bloke, this is Skalak, the one who ran very fast, did some nifty Flair moves, and was very very frightening (like thunderbolt and lightening):

View attachment 82768

I don't think he's that quick to be honest. But he's a tenacious player who works hard and is capable of some brilliant deliveries. I think the key point in the last 2 games is that he helps us be stronger defensively than an out and out winger like Solly. And it doesn't matter that he tends to cut in on to his right foot when he's playing with Rosenior, because Liam will overlap on the outside all day long. In fact, it makes it a double nightmare for the opponents. Some people (like the tiresome dick behind me every week) can't seem to understand that not every player has to be able to beat people like Knockaert to be making a big contribution to the team.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
You're forgetting that some fans always need a scapegoat for some reason. Every player in our squad has played an important role at some time in the last 2 seasons. Some are better than others. Some are more exciting to watch. But they're all good. You'd never believe it from some of the crap you still hear people spouting at the game.

It's the same people that used to shout at Ashley Barnes, don't understand it myself. They were after Baldock last season but thankfully they've virtually given up with him, but that does mean they've had to move on to someone else.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

View attachment 82768

Watched the game on TV last night, Skalak looked excellent from start to finish, going forward and defending. Keeping him in and bringing Solly and/or Murphy on with 20-30 mins to go against tired defenders will probably be the way we see out the season. No-one comes close to Skalak's ability to cross a ball - absolutely puts it on a plate for the strikers time and again.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
I don't think we have another player who wins possession as much as the King. At this level, the football is so fast that possession is normally won as a result of closing down and players making mistakes. You don't see the same number of 'ball winners' that you did 20 or 30 years ago. Kayal seems to be able to buck this trend and win possession through his tackling and physical strength.

He also gives real drive forwards to the centre of midfield that we seem to have been missing at times.

Welcome back :bowdown:

Agreed. He seems to have a turbo boost. Especially on the rare occasions when he gets caught in possession. He invariably wins the ball back.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's the same people that used to shout at Ashley Barnes, don't understand it myself. They were after Baldock last season but thankfully they've virtually given up with him, but that does mean they've had to move on to someone else.

I make you 100% right. That's exactly the same pattern as the bloke I have to listen to with his full volume constant whining week in, week out. Used to be Barnes. Then Baldock. The other week for a while it was Jamie Murphy, complaining that he wasn't doing enough and had hardly touched the ball. We were three minutes into the game. THREE minutes. He was even whingeing BEFORE kick-off a few seasons ago.... at the play-off semi-final...

I finally lost my rag with him last night and told him to can it. One of his (Barnes-hating) mates took exception but tough crap. It did at least have the desired effect as the whinger was mercifully quiet for the rest of the match. Mildly embarrassing getting the red mist with someone like that but I'll tell you what, he can wait the rest of his life for an apology. Sick to death of it. These are the best times by far in my 37 years watching the Albion and it's so annoying to have a negative **** take the edge off it, week in, week out. We all groan and grumble sometimes at individual moments in a match where a player might have done better/something different, but that's not the same as criticising everything a player does and branding them 'shit'.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I make you 100% right. That's exactly the same pattern as the bloke I have to listen to with his full volume constant whining week in, week out. Used to be Barnes. Then Baldock. The other week for a while it was Jamie Murphy, complaining that he wasn't doing enough and had hardly touched the ball. We were three minutes into the game. THREE minutes. He was even whingeing BEFORE kick-off a few seasons ago.... at the play-off semi-final...

I finally lost my rag with him last night and told him to can it. One of his (Barnes-hating) mates took exception but tough crap. It did at least have the desired effect as the whinger was mercifully quiet for the rest of the match. Mildly embarrassing getting the red mist with someone like that but I'll tell you what, he can wait the rest of his life for an apology. Sick to death of it. These are the best times by far in my 37 years watching the Albion and it's so annoying to have a negative **** take the edge off it, week in, week out. We all groan and grumble sometimes at individual moments in a match where a player might have done better/something different, but that's not the same as criticising everything a player does and branding them 'shit'.

Well done fella........I don't get why there are a few that can do nothing but criticise. Had the same at Brentford - father and (young) son, moaning every time Skalak or Stockdale kicked it. The 'he's sh*t' thing every time a player makes a mistake does my head in.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

View attachment 82768

And put in some beautiful crosses, both from open play and dead ball situations.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't rate Skalak as highly as you do, perhaps prompted by my Solly March-tinted spectacles. Skalak's certainly got numerous positive qualities, especially his work rate and his delivery, but he often seems one dimensional. I think you go too far when you say that he was excellent in the second half of last season: he was good, no doubt, but I wouldn't go further than that. He really wasn't up to too much in the first third of this season, and most discussions of him focused on his lack of pre-season, tiredness, etc. He was great against Norwich, granted, but I can't remember too many other games when he shined.
Last night, however, he was brilliant. He barely put a foot wrong, made all the right decisions when he had the ball, was tactically astute, dovetailing brilliantly with Calde mark 2, who he covered for when he bombed forward. Skalak's usual delivery and passing was up to his very best, but he also had a bit of variety to his game, and actually decided to take on defenders at just the right moment.
I can see why he was given MotM, although I'd have just given it to Kayal who was back to his regal best.

Probably fair. I also probably over-defend him, as some of the scapegoating he gets is miles over the top imo. He is limited to an extent, but what he can do, he is better than any of our other wingers at.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

My brother said that last night someone in front of him muttered "shit game" at the end. Laughable and maddening in equal measure. These are INCREDIBLE times to be an Albion fan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here