Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kayal

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
before turning computer on and reading this post I was actually thinking immense performances from Kayal, Skalak, Rosenior, and Uwe tonight and none of them have been regulars this season for 1 reason or another. I do believe for this reason we are on our way!! Only worry from tonight is Bruno maybe being injured. The clever play and movement from Bruno going forward gives us an extra dimension that I don't think can be replaced by anyone else in our squad. Actual defensive abilities I think can be covered even with lack of fit defenders right now.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Kayal is the man that makes us tick. Tenacious in the tackle and drives us forward. No coincidence are performances have not been as good without him in the starting g XI

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

He's played in a couple of games where he's looked lost at sea before Rotherham. Seems to be getting back to this best though which is encouraging.

Stephens is the one that makes us tick, Kayal adds dimension.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Kayal is back. He was like a man possessed tonight. His tenacity, energy & tackling was superb. He was all over Derby from the first whistle. What a great time to have him hit form.

Wondergull

Nov 24, 2004
Brooklyn, New York
He's played in a couple of games where he's looked lost at sea before Rotherham. Seems to be getting back to this best though which is encouraging.

Agreed but after being out for so long, you need time to play yourself back in but you don't get that luxury when you're fighting at the top of the table. The positive is he's got through two 90 minute workouts this week and looks back to his effortless best which really does benefit the team and Stephens in particular. I suspect they will be the first choice pairing again for the remainder of the season now.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Agreed but after being out for so long, you need time to play yourself back in but you don't get that luxury when you're fighting at the top of the table. The positive is he's got through two 90 minute workouts this week and looks back to his effortless best which really does benefit the team and Stephens in particular. I suspect they will be the first choice pairing again for the remainder of the season now.

If in the remaining 9 games they capture anything like the form/understanding they had together last season then I would be supremely confident in promotion. Both were immense tonight but I hope that isn't more of a reflection of how poor Derby were.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
before turning computer on and reading this post I was actually thinking immense performances from Kayal, Skalak, Rosenior, and Uwe tonight and none of them have been regulars this season for 1 reason or another. I do believe for this reason we are on our way!! Only worry from tonight is Bruno maybe being injured. The clever play and movement from Bruno going forward gives us an extra dimension that I don't think can be replaced by anyone else in our squad. Actual defensive abilities I think can be covered even with lack of fit defenders right now.
I was fortunate enough to be invited by my son to go with him as he had won 2 pass tickets to the east stand 1901 area and after the match most of the players went into the players lounge post match through the 1901 concourse, Bruno was one of them, he didn't seem to be inconvenienced in any way as he walked through the concourse or while he stood having photos taken with the younger seagull supporters and when we left he followed us down the stairs without seemingly any problem whatsoever, so hopefully his withdrawal was only precautionary and with the game basically won at that time also to give Tomori some minutes and experience. This is my opinion only as I didn't have the nerve or cheek to ask him. My opinion also, but that was one of the best all round performances from a Brighton team I've ever witnessed, they were immense from Stockers to Murray, great performance great result, we're on our way ( please, I hope, sorry if I'm getting ahead of myself)

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade

It's hard to pick up the pace of the game in cameo appearances.

I suppose Stephens keeps us ticking along but Kayal is the one that drives us from the central 3rd into the attacking 3rd putting the opposition on the back foot. Without him I don't think we penetrate enough through the middle. Just my opinion like!

Sidwell and Norwood don't offer that dimension.

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade

I suppose Stephens keeps us ticking along but Kayal is the one that drives us from the central 3rd into the attacking 3rd putting the opposition on the back foot. Without him I don't think we penetrate enough through the middle. Just my opinion like!

Liam is also the same. He puts the opposition on the back foot. It's easy to defend when games played in front of you. When you have runners going beyond their man it opens up opportunities. There's not many Defenders that thrive when they catching up with play

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I don't think we have another player who wins possession as much as the King. At this level, the football is so fast that possession is normally won as a result of closing down and players making mistakes. You don't see the same number of 'ball winners' that you did 20 or 30 years ago. Kayal seems to be able to buck this trend and win possession through his tackling and physical strength.

He also gives real drive forwards to the centre of midfield that we seem to have been missing at times.

Welcome back :bowdown:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
If you think Lua Lua is better than Skalak you need help.

The kaz at the start of last season is what I meant. We are at our best when we go at teams and scare teams. Skalak , and Norwood for that matter, slow it all down and make us cautious. Skalak was good last night but this was partly because of rosenior giving them so much to think about. Skalak is usually pretty anonymous if his set pieces are off.
Also being picky on least night, he should have at least shot on target when he had that great chance early on. But he misses. Could have been important that

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
Kayal is the man that makes us tick. Tenacious in the tackle and drives us forward. No coincidence are performances have not been as good without him in the starting g XI

Kayal is back. He was like a man possessed tonight. His tenacity, energy & tackling was superb. He was all over Derby from the first whistle. What a great time to have him hit form.

These posts ^^

The word tenacious has rightly been used twice, hard in the tackle but he is also brilliant at close quarters when surrounded by opposition players. There might have been better players in the past but there's something about him that makes him one of my favourite players.to have ever pulled on the Albion jersey and last night he showed why I love him so much.

ALL HAIL THE KING!

Wondergull, I would point out that you don't get that luxury when you are at the bottom either but understand the point you are making

In my opinion, when players are "new" to the team (returning from injury, or like BFG/Skalak have just not played in the team for a few months), then you have to give players a few games to get their match fitness back, as match day intensity is not something that you can replicate in training, so always I try not to judge players when they play their first few games back.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Brilliant to have him back. Gone under the radar a bit that our best midfield partnership is back and on form. We are joint top without playing our best up till now so.....

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Spot on. Stephens makes the team tick and I think we miss him the most when he's not there because the our defence is much more exposed - he always seems to be in the right place in the middle to win and recycle the ball. I think Sidwell is similar but not as mobile.

Kayal brings an attacking impetus to the team.

Kayal and Stephens compliment each other perfectly and Kayal is brilliant at breaking into the space between midfield and defence and when he goes he seems to pull the rest of the team with him. As a partnership they almost become greater than the sum of their parts.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here