Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A reminder that you are responsible for what you post on NSC and tweet.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There's been a bit of emotive stuff recently, and in the main NSC is an incredibly good self policing board. Having seen what has happened to the fragrant Katie Hopkins today, who has had to pay damages of £24,000 for two tweets, and legal costs that are likely to be very eye watering, can I remind you splendid ladies and gentlemen to keep it within respectable boundaries.

[Tweet]840203940482437121[/Tweet]

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
There's been a bit of emotive stuff recently, and in the main NSC is an incredibly good self policing board. Having seen what has happened to the fragrant Katie Hopkins today, who has had to pay damages of £24,000 for two tweets, and legal costs that are likely to be very eye watering, can I remind you splendid ladies and gentlemen to keep it within respectable boundaries.

[Tweet]840203940482437121[/Tweet]
This is good advice. Can you help further with some (hypothetical) examples relevant to NSC that are "emotive" and would also approach the line that Katie Hopkins crossed...?

"Defamatory" is the key, isn't it? How does that get defined and used in theory and in practice?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
What Constitutes Defamation Online?

Defamation is generally defined as a false, published statement that is injurious to the plaintiff's reputation. An online posting, even on an obscure website, will likely be seen by a few people, thus satisfying the publication requirement.

Statements of Fact

A plaintiff cannot succeed in his or her online defamation claim if the defendant's defamatory statement was true. For example, if a customer posts a review of your business on Yelp, claiming that there was a rat infestation, you may sue them for defamation. You would then have to prove that there was no rat infestation, and thus, the defendant's statement was false.

Opinions

Following that, the defendant may try to argue that the claimed rat infestation was an opinion. Opinions are privileged under the law. As a result, plaintiffs cannot bring a defamation claim for an opinion. Importantly, however, an opinion that may be viewed as a statement of fact by a reasonable person will be deemed a statement of fact. The courts may interpret, "I think that [restaurant] has a rat infestation problem," as a statement of fact.

Modifications

Modified photos that scandalize persons or businesses are clear defamation violation, and are quite popular on social media. It is common for modified photos or video to go 'viral'. The less obvious and absurd the modification, the more likely it is that a court will find it defamatory.

As a sharer or creator of content, always make sure that any information about a person or entity is truthful and would not be considered injurious to their reputation.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
[MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION] gave a good example of this yesterday. It's a timely warning.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I love Palace fans, really I do. Great bunch of supporters and I look forward to us playing them next season. Always up for banter and as for that drum and goal music...well, we should take a leaf out of their book.

I think I got away with it :wink, wink:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This is good advice. Can you help further with some (hypothetical) examples relevant to NSC that are "emotive" and would also approach the line that Katie Hopkins crossed...?

"Defamatory" is the key, isn't it? How does that get defined and used in theory and in practice?

Fair comment

Attached is a link to the ruling of the case by the judge. It is detailed (28 pages long, about the same length as a Paul Barber email).

https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/monroe-v-hopkins-2017-ewhc-433-qb-20170310.pdf

We don't want anyone on here to get in trouble with what they post. Sometimes it's better to delete and seeth, than post and repent.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Modified photos that scandalize persons or businesses are clear defamation violation, and are quite popular on social media. It is common for modified photos or video to go 'viral'. The less obvious and absurd the modification, the more likely it is that a court will find it defamatory.

Quickly goes and deletes Hiney Art image depicting Hiney pointing at Jesus on the cross in case the second coming does happen soon

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
In my defence, me Omsung Phine keypad's gone wrong. Please disregard all previous posts stating 'Barber OUT!' Should of course read 'Barber UTA!' :down:
LOL. Can I also make it clear that it is only my opinion that Paul Barber may possibly have slightly misjudged the presentation of some recent announcements that, also only in my opinion, may have been considered to possibly negatively affect longstanding Albion fans in favour of meeting the interests of more recently arrived customers.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
In my defence, me Omsung Phine keypad's gone wrong. Please disregard all previous posts stating 'Barber OUT!' Should of course read 'Barber UTA!' :down:

Would have been easier to blame those pesky Russian hacking *******s.

Sorry, sorry, I mean those loveable scamps from Moscow.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
good thing JC and dave don't read NSC then or we would all be in trouble ???

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I removed myself from Twitter a few weeks ago because of my complete inability to censor myself when I've had a drink.

Also known as the 'waking up next to a munter' defence. Sadly this is likely to succeed when you are accused the next time down the pub with your mates of " ****ing that HOUND with the eyes that point in two directions and pubes that resemble Terry Waites allotment"...M'Lord.

You will be found GUILTY.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
AS much as Katie Hopkins was due something like this given her approach to Twitter, Jack Monroe didn't exactly arrive at the High Court like some naive Twitter innocent. She was guilty herself of some pretty disgusting Tweets that were every bit as defamatory and hurtful as Hopkins and was extremely lucky that her target never sued her.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here