Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    The ONLY Gay in Brighton El Presidente's Avatar

A reminder that you are responsible for what you post on NSC and tweet.

2 Not allowed!
    There's been a bit of emotive stuff recently, and in the main NSC is an incredibly good self policing board. Having seen what has happened to the fragrant Katie Hopkins today, who has had to pay damages of 24,000 for two tweets, and legal costs that are likely to be very eye watering, can I remind you splendid ladies and gentlemen to keep it within respectable boundaries.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      There's been a bit of emotive stuff recently, and in the main NSC is an incredibly good self policing board. Having seen what has happened to the fragrant Katie Hopkins today, who has had to pay damages of 24,000 for two tweets, and legal costs that are likely to be very eye watering, can I remind you splendid ladies and gentlemen to keep it within respectable boundaries.

This is good advice. Can you help further with some (hypothetical) examples relevant to NSC that are "emotive" and would also approach the line that Katie Hopkins crossed...?

"Defamatory" is the key, isn't it? How does that get defined and used in theory and in practice?
      Boxing Day 1979 (h) W 3-0 B.Horton (pen), P.Ward, G.Ryan Att. 28,358

St. Patrick's Day 2013 (h) W 3-0 L.Ulloa (2), Sp.Dave Att. 28,499

0 Not allowed!
      What Constitutes Defamation Online?

Defamation is generally defined as a false, published statement that is injurious to the plaintiff's reputation. An online posting, even on an obscure website, will likely be seen by a few people, thus satisfying the publication requirement.

Statements of Fact

A plaintiff cannot succeed in his or her online defamation claim if the defendant's defamatory statement was true. For example, if a customer posts a review of your business on Yelp, claiming that there was a rat infestation, you may sue them for defamation. You would then have to prove that there was no rat infestation, and thus, the defendant's statement was false.

Opinions

Following that, the defendant may try to argue that the claimed rat infestation was an opinion. Opinions are privileged under the law. As a result, plaintiffs cannot bring a defamation claim for an opinion. Importantly, however, an opinion that may be viewed as a statement of fact by a reasonable person will be deemed a statement of fact. The courts may interpret, "I think that [restaurant] has a rat infestation problem," as a statement of fact.

Modifications

Modified photos that scandalize persons or businesses are clear defamation violation, and are quite popular on social media. It is common for modified photos or video to go 'viral'. The less obvious and absurd the modification, the more likely it is that a court will find it defamatory.

As a sharer or creator of content, always make sure that any information about a person or entity is truthful and would not be considered injurious to their reputation.

0 Not allowed!
      @Gwylan gave a good example of this yesterday. It's a timely warning.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      @Gwylan gave a good example of this yesterday. It's a timely warning.
      Link?

Members

5 Not allowed!
      I love Palace fans, really I do. Great bunch of supporters and I look forward to us playing them next season. Always up for banter and as for that drum and goal music...well, we should take a leaf out of their book.

I think I got away with it :wink, wink:
      The ONLY Gay in Brighton El Presidente's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Moshe Gariani View Post
      This is good advice. Can you help further with some (hypothetical) examples relevant to NSC that are "emotive" and would also approach the line that Katie Hopkins crossed...?

"Defamatory" is the key, isn't it? How does that get defined and used in theory and in practice?
      Fair comment

Attached is a link to the ruling of the case by the judge. It is detailed (28 pages long, about the same length as a Paul Barber email).

https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-cont...b-20170310.pdf

We don't want anyone on here to get in trouble with what they post. Sometimes it's better to delete and seeth, than post and repent.
      Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      God help those that have disclosed on here somebody has used there ticket
      David, Can i have a word? Don Tmatter's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      What did she tweet and to whom?
      Thru thick & thin, we'll support you evermore

Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!