Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Huddersfield fan offering a different perspective

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Would be delighted to see Huddersfield go up, provided it's not at our expense! I think a Premier League with us both in it next season would be refreshing.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
"The transformation has also seen Town become a side capable of not only playing some of the most attractive, exciting expansive football in the entire division but also a side that can grind it out, compete and work for their success when they need too."

See me.

elliotthtafc

Mar 10, 2017
If it were not most likely to be at our expense, I'd imagine pretty much all Albion fans would be willing you to do it. Obviously given the actual situation, I hope you lose your next ten games.

As to feedback (you did ask...)

1. Your piece doesn't even acknowledge the other teams in the race.

2. This line is a bit arrogant. There's nothing remotely 'unique' about a squad playing for each other. "There is a strong unbreakable bond between the fans, David Wagner, the squad and the club in general which is incredibly unique."

3. 'Incredibly unique' is just SILLY. Its either unique or it isn't.

4. Its a nonsense to suggest that 'no-one believes you can do it'.

5. Main point - the formatting of the site you're using is HORRIBLE. All the split words, between lines. Sort it out.
It makes your wri-
ting, much more diffic-
ult to read than it ne-
eds to be.

Likewise, I mentioned in the original post, most Huddersfield fans would be fully behind Brightoon going up if we were languishing in mid-table.

1. My piece is about my experiences as a Huddersfield fan reflecting on our season, if it was a much broader review of the Championship season as a whole then I'd be much more inclined to reference other teams.

2. I don't think it's arrogant, I think you've missed the point as you said there is nothing remotely unique about a squad playing for each other, however, the quote you refer to is far more than just a squad playing for each other. Throughout my entire life as a Huddersfield fan, there has been tensions between fans,there has been financial mismanagent and groups within the club's hierarchy with their own personal interests. Until this season there has never been a collective unity between the club hierarchy, club personnel and fans. There has been disputes over stadium ownership, we have gone through administration and faced relegation (albeit I was only eight years old in 2003). So what I refer to is unique to me (personally) as it is the first time that I have experienced such unity as a Huddersfield fan.

3. Fair point, can't really disagree with that.

4. I think the vast majority of fans and pundits believe you will be promoted automatically. Of course, a minority of fans who aren't blinded by bias may believe we can do it but an overwhelmingly majority don't.

5. Considering that this is only my second ever blog, I will address any formatting issues.

Anyway thank you for your harsh but fair criticisms. I've taken all of them on board.

elliotthtafc

Mar 10, 2017
2. Our HT friend clearly does not know very much about Brighton & Hove Albion at all #Together

Why would I? It was a blog written about Huddersfield's season and my experiences as a Huddersfield fan. As I mention in the comment above, having gone through a Steve Bruce tenure that left the club on the brink of liquidation and disputes over Stadium ownership which has been equally damaging- I have never experienced any form of unity as a Huddersfield fan. I don't speak as an expert of Championship football or as an expert of Brighton & Hove Albion so I can happily concede that I don't know much about Brighton & Hove Albion, I expect you're exactly the same about Huddersfield Town. I speak merely as a fan.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
To be blunt all I'm thinking of is our points target of 28 more points needed, which can only reduce if Newcastle, Huddersfield, Leeds etc. drop points and the albion keep winning.

3 points needed tonight. The rest is froth.

elliotthtafc

Mar 10, 2017
For me there were no insight into your season in that blog. It was emotive sure, but not enough facts and too much hyperbole. You also used 'bouncebackability' so I knock a point off for that.

It was an insight into our season through the experiences of a football fan. If you acknowledge that it is an emotive piece then I'm not sure what you were expecting in terms of facts supported by evidence.

I must admit I did feel a bit dirty writing that word.

elliotthtafc

Mar 10, 2017
Without bothering to read it I could have guessed most of this. Huddersfield fans clearly think they are very special in some way at the moment (and I guess given their recent history and general status as a club then they are doing well) but I'm not sure why they expect the rest of us to be especially interested or impressed.

Barely positive goal difference over a Championship season tells you everything you need to know about how good they are. They are not that good and Wagner is not performing any sort of miracle. They have a roughly 20% chance of automatic promotion - there is more chance they will finish fourth than second. These opinions are not a hostage to fortune, or reflecting any arrogance, they are simply based on the available evidence.

Considering that in the very first post, I openly wish you gain promotion to the Premier League, I don't think there is an arrogance, we acknowledge we're punching above our weight and in that sense, it is special as it was for Brighton last season, after finishing 19th the season before.

Addressing your second point, don't you think there is a flaw in result-based rather than performance based data analysis. For example, taking your usage of evidence, why haven't Reading dropped out of the playoff places considering that they have the highest goals against and the worst goal difference. Winning by a single goal margin is the same as winning by five. I'm sure you and all Brighton fans would take ten 1-0 wins from now until the end of the season. On extremely limited resources, a net spend of £2 million, Wagner is performing all sorts of miracles. I'm not sure how you see a barely positive goal difference as a genuine reason why he isn't...

elliotthtafc

Mar 10, 2017
Nice one. well written and certainly aimed at a different audience to this lot.

I am an expat although supported brighton for 44 years, I have also seen the ups and down of Town's seasons throughout the years ( my first game was in 1966 town vs Blackburn Rovers in September just before we emigrated to SA) I remember being cold and bored... Watching town on the TV this year has been a revelation ...I thought the team under Bruce who missed out on promotion at Fulham ( horrible day) was a decent side, but this one really is a great side. As our resident pedant says, unique is a odd choice or words, but certainly I haven't seen a town side who play for each other so much and that is probably why people on here are thinking along the lines of that is basically what is happening here this year ( although under Gus Poyet, there was also a great team spirit)

I still think there is a lot more to come from this season and I am still not convinced that it will not come down to a 3 horse race with all three sides being able to go up the last day of the season. We have Derby tonight and L***s on Saturday week, so these are two very important games and I have never seen Town win at Brentford and I have been there a few times, so this could be a pivotal few days.

cheers Dave

I really appreciate this Dave, it has been quite a baptism of fire.

I think my use of the word unique has been misinterpreted, it was a unique experience to me. Not that the club was unique or special in having this unity.

All the best for the remainder of the season.

elliotthtafc

Mar 10, 2017
I think the feeling is completely mutual. After last season, you deserved to go up and you deserve to go up again, if we weren't in contention then I would be backing Brighton 100%

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Wagner has built a team using German second division players, one or two other foreign mercenaries and a few British players, got them as fit as fleas, adopted gengenpressing as the modus operandi, they stop other teams from playing for 95+ minutes and invariably nick a win by the odd goal, often in the 90th minute. Credit where its due, if dosh is in short supply it's a bloody good way of building a side to compete. And they won't go away because they're essentially German and it will be a ****ing blitzkreig and donner und blitzen all the way to the end of the season.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Comes across (and I'm not going to take you to task over spelling/grammar) as a passionate blog from someone who really loves their club.

Wish you all the very best in the play-offs.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
does your team barbour only know one cut?

hudd.JPG

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Winning by a single goal margin is the same as winning by five.

This could be seen as a slightly insensitive comment to make to fans whose team failed to go up last year by two goals. However, if you're sure this is the case, could you please let the Football League know. There may be a chance we should have finished above Middlesbrough on alphabetical order.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Wagner has built a team using German second division players, one or two other foreign mercenaries and a few British players, got them as fit as fleas, adopted gengenpressing as the modus operandi, they stop other teams from playing for 95+ minutes and invariably nick a win by the odd goal, often in the 90th minute. Credit where its due, if dosh is in short supply it's a bloody good way of building a side to compete. And they won't go away because they're essentially German and it will be a ****ing blitzkreig and donner und blitzen all the way to the end of the season.

I take it due to your post and recent ones, you don't like Germans?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Hello! Huddersfield fan here.

I have written quite a emotionally charged impassionate blog reflecting on our season so far and what we could potentially achieve in the remainder of the season.

I thought as a direct promotion rival (still seems surreal to me) that you may be interested in having a read as it offers it you the different perspective and give you a real insight into our season.

https://viewfromkilnerbank.wordpress.com/2017/03/08/time-to-believe

Any reads and feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Best wishes for the remainder of the season, I hope you'll be in the Premier League next season, over the course of the past two seasons you've deserved it.

Elliott, take a look at different theme settings for your page. I use the 'morning after' theme in Wordpress and also make use of categories and other sub divisions. See link below.

I'm loathed to be too critical of what you have written as it is something you appear to have recently started.

I would simply say that the article would probably have more roundness and flow if it took the reader on a journey. In this case from the lowest point of last year to now. At times it seems to restate previous points in a slightly different way. To keep a reader it is important to present something new each paragraph.

Tell folk about players who have made a difference and why. Who is David Wagner ? (assume folk don't know). Present the atmosphere around the area through tales of a match day. There's nothing like stepping into a frame rather than observing it blind through someone else's description.

I wouldn't tell you what to write or the intricacies of how to do it in detail. My own writing is very 'left field' and has a different follower interest. I do have an Albion section though.

What I would say though is that it is very readable with a sensible use of language.

That places you streets ahead of our most vocal self styled journalist on NSC....

Keep it up.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Hello! Huddersfield fan here.

I have written quite a emotionally charged impassionate blog reflecting on our season so far and what we could potentially achieve in the remainder of the season.

I thought as a direct promotion rival (still seems surreal to me) that you may be interested in having a read as it offers it you the different perspective and give you a real insight into our season.

https://viewfromkilnerbank.wordpress.com/2017/03/08/time-to-believe

Any reads and feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Best wishes for the remainder of the season, I hope you'll be in the Premier League next season, over the course of the past two seasons you've deserved it.

I'm willing to go as far as calling it unique much like Huddersfield side.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Fair blog from a supporter.
On paper, and taking each game at a time, you have to think HT can win all their remaining fixtures.
There will (I hope) be a slip up. Just hope for their sake that they don't do an Albion and fall apart in the play-offs.
Third place on what could be 90 points will be gut wrenching.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Likewise, I mentioned in the original post, most Huddersfield fans would be fully behind Brightoon going up if we were languishing in mid-table.

1. My piece is about my experiences as a Huddersfield fan reflecting on our season, if it was a much broader review of the Championship season as a whole then I'd be much more inclined to reference other teams.

2. I don't think it's arrogant, I think you've missed the point as you said there is nothing remotely unique about a squad playing for each other, however, the quote you refer to is far more than just a squad playing for each other. Throughout my entire life as a Huddersfield fan, there has been tensions between fans,there has been financial mismanagent and groups within the club's hierarchy with their own personal interests. Until this season there has never been a collective unity between the club hierarchy, club personnel and fans. There has been disputes over stadium ownership, we have gone through administration and faced relegation (albeit I was only eight years old in 2003). So what I refer to is unique to me (personally) as it is the first time that I have experienced such unity as a Huddersfield fan.

3. Fair point, can't really disagree with that.

4. I think the vast majority of fans and pundits believe you will be promoted automatically. Of course, a minority of fans who aren't blinded by bias may believe we can do it but an overwhelmingly majority don't.

5. Considering that this is only my second ever blog, I will address any formatting issues.

Anyway thank you for your harsh but fair criticisms. I've taken all of them on board.

Don't take it to heart, Elliott - you did ASK for feedback.

For a guy starting out, its a very decent effort.

On the 'unique' thing - had you just written "unique in our club's recent history" or something - every reader would have understood what you meant, rather than seeing it as placing your club somehow above all others (in respect of togetherness) - something that was sure to grate with non-partisan readers.

I appreciate that you wrote it with a Terriers audience in mind, but you did just post it on a Brighton fans' site.

Good luck, with your writing :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here