Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Sussex Town?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
strange way to run a pub, what were they barred for? just out of interest

A number of things. Not sure what the agenda is but that pub used to be rammed from 2pm until closing. She just kind of picked the regulars off one by one.
There also used to be quite a bit of Albion stuff dotted around, supporter stickers mainly. All gone now. ��

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Is the right answer. :clap2:

Everything you mentioned plus The Old Town, The East and West Hills and the view from them over the largest beach fishing fleet in EUROPE, the sense of community and events that re on throughout the year and the fact it's real. Plus it continues to improve for the better, despite the problems it, like many seaside towns face.
I'm proud to have been born there, grow up in the area and spent most of my life living in the area too.

and the Pirates of course

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
It sort of has to be selective as I can't list every cab fare or pint price in Sussex. But I assure you that's what I've paid in the past. I doubt many can deny Brighton is a very expensive town. In many areas it's more expensive than London which must make it pretty much the most expensive town in the U.K.!

The cost of licensed taxi fares is set by the local authority.

The latest figures I can find (from 2010 - can't find anything later) would mean the lowest-tariff 3-mile journey from Worthing would be £8.20. In Brighton & Hove, the equivalent would be £8.80. Hardly a massive difference.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The cost of licensed taxi fares is set by the local authority.

The latest figures I can find (from 2010 - can't find anything later) would mean the lowest-tariff 3-mile journey from Worthing would be £8.20. In Brighton & Hove, the equivalent would be £8.80. Hardly a massive difference.

Interesting. Anyway, the price of going out in Brighton is generally higher than elsewhere. The cost of living is higher than most places in the U.K. Pretty indisputable.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Another vote for Shoreham. I grew up (from the age of 8) in Lancing, but Shoreham is where I spent most of my teenage evenings and I still like going back there now. And I've NEVER been in a more enjoyable or friendly pub than the Lady Jane, it had everything.

As an aside did anyone else (apart from Hornblower) ever go to the Shoreham Youth Workshop in the early/mid 1970s?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't remember that at all, I was in 3rd Shoreham Sea Scouts in the mid 70s.
It was an art/drama/music place, all about encouraging creativity in young people. Originally it was by the station in the old workhouse (I think that all got knocked down for a health centre and/or the co-op. Then it moved to a barn in St Julians's Lane, Southwick. If you were in the Sea Scouts it probably wasn't your thing!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Mrs The Clamp grew up on the house boats and remembers her parents and her rowing their boat over to the Crown of a Sunday, climbing up the wall straight into the beer garden for Sunday Roast and then rowing back.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It was an art/drama/music place, all about encouraging creativity in young people. Originally it was by the station in the old workhouse (I think that all got knocked down for a health centre and/or the co-op. Then it moved to a barn in St Julians's Lane, Southwick. If you were in the Sea Scouts it probably wasn't your thing!

I remember the old Victorian workhouse very well, it was huge and frightening to me as a nipper. I went to Shoreham Grammar and I do recall the shed next door where they did that stuff. I have a feeling I went there once to see something or other.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
True to a degree but it really is pricey. Not just housing.

Pint of Guiness:

Shoreham £3.40
Worthing £3.50
Steyning £3. 70
Brighton £4.90

Fish and chips

Shoreham £4
Worthing £4.80
Brighton £6.50

12.5 grams Amber Leaf

Shoreham £4.49
Worthing £4.49
Brighton £5.90

3 mile taxi ride

Shoreham £4.50
Worthing £4.70
Brighton £7.90

I dont miss any of Sussex at those prices!

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
True to a degree but it really is pricey. Not just housing.

Pint of Guinness:

Shoreham £3.40
Worthing £3.50
Steyning £3. 70
Brighton £4.90

Fish and chips

Shoreham £4
Worthing £4.80
Brighton £6.50

12.5 grams Amber Leaf

Shoreham £4.49
Worthing £4.49
Brighton £5.90

3 mile taxi ride

Shoreham £4.50
Worthing £4.70
Brighton £7.90

sorry to be an ********, but it's something that really bugs me

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Another vote for Shoreham, born on Old Fort Road, now work in Lancing so drive through most days, and know in my heart of hearts this is where I will end up living again after I am done with Brighton and its time to cash in on the house.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I remember the old Victorian workhouse very well, it was huge and frightening to me as a nipper. I went to Shoreham Grammar and I do recall the shed next door where they did that stuff. I have a feeling I went there once to see something or other.

When i was at Primary School in Shoreham a few years either side of 1950 the old workhouse was a children's home for boys and I had many school friends who lived there. Although in West Sussex it was run by East Sussex County Council and when the boys reached secondary school age they were transferred to a Hove school and contact was lost.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here