Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Sussex Town?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Would be Burwash but it's in Kent it had a very friendly newsagents :whistle:

Burwash for me too, except for the Kent thing of course. And as a youngster, back in the day - well, alright, way back in the day, I was in love with the newsagent's daughter.

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
Assuming Brighton is a city, I'd vote Lewes. Individual, historic, good countryside around, transport links, good pubs etc

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After a great deal of thought, the best answer I can come up with is:-

'Which ever one I happen to be in at the time'.

Obviously Crawley is the exception that proves the rule.
But beyond that I'm struggling to rank individual Sussex locations, we are very lucky.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Lived in Hassocks/Keymer for my first 25 years. For some reason I hated Burgess Hill, it may have been a school thing.
Right now Lewes is my favourite. Love walking through the streets in summer. Sitting outside the John Harvey when the Harveys Dray pulled up drawn by two Shire horses was better than many holidays I've been on.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Another vote for Shoreham. I grew up (from the age of 8) in Lancing, but Shoreham is where I spent most of my teenage evenings and I still like going back there now. And I've NEVER been in a more enjoyable or friendly pub than the Lady Jane, it had everything.

As an aside did anyone else (apart from Hornblower) ever go to the Shoreham Youth Workshop in the early/mid 1970s?

Was that the arts-based place on St Julians Lane, next to Shoreham Grammar?

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Brighton and Chichester are both technically cities so wouldn't really count even though Brighton is my favourite place in Sussex. I do quite like Worthing, Arundel and Rye.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Going running or biking in the countryside around henfield. Lovely

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
It was an art/drama/music place, all about encouraging creativity in young people. Originally it was by the station in the old workhouse (I think that all got knocked down for a health centre and/or the co-op. Then it moved to a barn in St Julians's Lane, Southwick. If you were in the Sea Scouts it probably wasn't your thing!

Saw your first post, but missed this one. I went there a couple of times. I remember one as being my first ever gig, a local band where they all had bright red lipstick and the keyboard player had a teddy bear strapped to his back for no apparent reason. Next gig was a bit of a step up- Led Zeppelin at Knebworth.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Saw your first post, but missed this one. I went there a couple of times. I remember one as being my first ever gig, a local band where they all had bright red lipstick and the keyboard player had a teddy bear strapped to his back for no apparent reason. Next gig was a bit of a step up- Led Zeppelin at Knebworth.

Are you talking about Psycho Normal? Used to destroy the bear.

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
In my time I've lived in Bexhill, St. Leonards, Lindfiel, Haywards Heath, Balcombe, Crawley, Lewes and now I've found a little gem that's better than all of these. Begins with P.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Arundel:

The castle and town
The South Downs
The pubs
The people
Wonderful community feel
Great festivals
Excellent restuarants
A couple of miles from the sea
A main line to London
Lovely football and cricket clubs

Jsut the best place in my opinion

My favourite town too. Add to your list a great deli in the Square, and Castle Chocolates on Tarrant Street. There's also possibly the most picturesque cricket ground in the country, along with Worcestershire's ground. It's not far from the Downs either, and one of Sussex's best birdwatching sites, the Burgh. I just wish they'd get on with the bypass though. Honourable mentions to Lewes, Rye and Seaford as well. I love relaxing by the sea at Seaford after a week's work, with fish and chips along the seafront.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here