Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Grown men were crying - the world reacts to Barca's crazy win"

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I viewed the still image highlights on Sky News this morning.
It was almost like watching the real thing :yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
It feels like, actually, no-one cares about or talks about the Champions League anymore. Partly since it moved to Sky, and completely since it moved to BT.

I used to look forward to the big ties 10 years or so ago. I don't even know who's in it or what/when the fixtures are anymore. Not sure if it's just because me and my friends have been excluded from it by not having BT or if really no-one cares anymore.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
If PSG had sat any deeper they'd have been in row A.

Sussex kids in Barca shirts already irk me, this will no doubt produce more of them.

Champions League:yawn:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
There were no grown men crying in the Spiros household. Just comments like 'mm, that looks a bit fishy' based entirely upon the brief snippets shown on the BBC news. I'm not saying it's fixed but wouldn't be surprised to see some betting scandal around this in a few weeks/months/years time.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
There were no grown men crying in the Spiros household. Just comments like 'mm, that looks a bit fishy' based entirely upon the brief snippets shown on the BBC news. I'm not saying it's fixed but wouldn't be surprised to see some betting scandal around this in a few weeks/months/years time.

My first thoughts also, a result like that makes you wonder whether the whole thing was preordained to some extent.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
All I took from this match was that seemingly anything will get awarded a penalty these days.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

My thoughts exactly, and you know when it first dawned on me something fishy this way comes....

The moment I saw Sepp Twatter sat watching...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can't stand Barcelona, the most pretentious club in the world.

The first pen I can just about understand, the second was a complete and utter joke.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The keeper didn't exactly fly across the goal for Neymars 88th minute free kick either, did he.

It was well struck, but it looked to me like he could at least have stuck out his right hand and made an effort, instead of standing there admiring it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
'Just about'?

It was a rugby tackle, FFS!

No it wasn't. The defender threw himself in front of the forward to obstruct him. Unfortunately, it was too blatant and Suarez(?) made absolutely sure everybody could see what it was. I'm actually not sure what the rule is with regard to obstruction in the box, but the defender didn't play the man, he went in front of the striker to impede his path.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I can't stand Barcelona, the most pretentious club in the world.

Totally with you on that. From the 'More than a club' motto to the way the shirt 'sponsorship' evolved from a charitable donation to UNICEF, to Qatar Airways, to a £50M a year deal with Rakuten for next season.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
It feels like, actually, no-one cares about or talks about the Champions League anymore. Partly since it moved to Sky, and completely since it moved to BT.

I used to look forward to the big ties 10 years or so ago. I don't even know who's in it or what/when the fixtures are anymore. Not sure if it's just because me and my friends have been excluded from it by not having BT or if really no-one cares anymore.

Very much this. I remember my pub being rammed when British clubs were in the knockout stages and it was on ITV, BT Sport have tripled their prices to us, so we have got rid, the same way as Sky, sad really, used to be cracking nights, but all a bit indifferent now, customers haven't really complained either. Couldn't give a s**t about Barcelona/PSG/Bayern/Real etc, great for the money men I guess though, that's what matters these days it seems

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
The keeper didn't exactly fly across the goal for Neymars 88th minute free kick either, did he.

It was well struck, but it looked to me like he could at least have stuck out his right hand and made an effort, instead of standing there admiring it.

absolute bullet and couldn't have been more in the corner, probably thought it was going out. do you really think it would've been planned that he would hit the most incredibly accurate free kick in the 88th minute of a match, to stage a still incredibly unlikely comeback?

Anyone who thinks that was fixed really is off their nut.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Very much this. I remember my pub being rammed when British clubs were in the knockout stages and it was on ITV, BT Sport have tripled their prices to us, so we have got rid, the same way as Sky, sad really, used to be cracking nights, but all a bit indifferent now, customers haven't really complained either. Couldn't give a s**t about Barcelona/PSG/Bayern/Real etc, great for the money men I guess though, that's what matters these days it seems

Its going the way boxing has gone. When it was on terrestrial there was far more interest. It would be discussed in offices and in pubs, the whole build up to an event that everyone could then watch it and talk about afterwards. Nowadays there's still some interest, but its much more 'niche'. When I saw the Barca score, I did actually tune in to ITVs highlights show at 11.15 last night to see how it unfolded. But as of next season even the highlights have gone exclusively to BT.

The Champions League is now something that I just hear about, rather than engage with. Same as boxing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here