Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber response - Loyalty Points/Ticket Allocation Outside of Sussex

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Why? Both games would be at the Amex. Away cup games are 10 points, the same as league games.

That doesn't really make full sense, if financial benefit is the driver.

We get the same % of the takings from an AWAY FA Cup tie as we do a home one, yet the H game is 'worth' double the points.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

We get the same % of the takings from an AWAY FA Cup tie as we do a home one, yet the H game is 'worth' double the points.

Yes, I agree with that point. I was just stating the current position. My previous comment was in answer to Geestar saying that points for a game against Colchester should be worth more than a game against Arsenal. The only distinction the club makes for cup games is whether it is at home or away.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Should a 5th rnd FA Cup tie against Arsenal be worth the same as a 1st rnd EFL tie against Colchester?

Surely couldnt be hard to click a box and make the latter 50 points.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

How much would it cost to go to an EFL Cup match in Colchester? If you start chucking out massive bonus points for games like that, some people will just buy a ticket to rack up the points and not bother going.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Don't see the problem with the current system... yes it's massively in favour of STH but then why shouldn't it be ?

They are the ones who put their hand in their pockets every month/year and fund the club.

I'm not saying STH are any more 'loyal' or 'better' fans in the slightest but the club have said they make little or no money from away games so they are always going to reward those who financially support the club best. I completely understand we have many loyal fans across the country who are just as entitled to go to games but that's just the way it is.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm surprised that no-one has yet suggested making a link between loyalty points and the number of minutes of the match the fan stays for. I had always got the impression, reading NSC, that the true definition of a loyal fan was one who always stayed to the end of the match.

If we all had a micro-chip embedded they could make a Pokemon Go style game out of it. Loyalty points could be awarded for:

Attending the Amex on match days, with extra bonus points for:

Visiting the 7 Stars bar before kickoff
Being in your seat at kickoff
Being in your seat when the half time whistle goes
Being in your seat at full time
Spending 5, 10, 15 minutes in the club shop
Re-tweeting players and #BHAFC articles

Plus the same sort of scheme for away matches and perhaps U23 games.

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
...and a built in mic so that singing volumes can be detected, computed and turned into points, and we all know what points make.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Not necessarily. I think it is only gate revenue that is split equally in the cup. All other revenue, eg concessions, programmes etc goes to the home club.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
So just to add my 2p worth.....
I live in Yorkshire. I was a season ticket holder and would travel down regularly to watch Brighton. Thats only any good for a 3pm or midday kick off as I like to travel by train and could make the last train back. I used to let my Son use my season ticket if I wasnt going. But this is now not allowed. I attend pretty much every away game that I can make it to and back in the same day. Since not having a season ticket I have missed the final away games of the season on a number of occasions.
Thats life.
As has been said on numerous occasions, no loyalty scheme is going to be perfect.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So just to add my 2p worth.....
I live in Yorkshire. I was a season ticket holder and would travel down regularly to watch Brighton. Thats only any good for a 3pm or midday kick off as I like to travel by train and could make the last train back. I used to let my Son use my season ticket if I wasnt going. But this is now not allowed. I attend pretty much every away game that I can make it to and back in the same day. Since not having a season ticket I have missed the final away games of the season on a number of occasions.
Thats life.
As has been said on numerous occasions, no loyalty scheme is going to be perfect.

It is. The club seem entirely happy for this to continue to happen.

People are getting confused by the 'no transfer of ST' thing.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Bozza mentioned it in another thread in reply to me. I found a page via Google but it seems to be superceded by BNthree's link

Here is the (redundant?) info : http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/albion-launch-new-memberships-891092.aspx

Platinum Membership was abandoned last summer. Just a short phone call from the ticket office saying that it was no more!
The loss of the extra day to purchase tickets at the start has not proved a problem - yet. By definition the amount of points a platinum holder had built up, would put them near the top of any points total and in the first tranche of sales when points are used.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You can add me to the People..

You needn't be. All they have said is that it is NOT possible to transfer ST ownership. I.e you couldn't give up your ticket next year and your son take it on in his name. Game by game they know people let mates / relatives use their seats, and so long as there are no age-band infringements and the attendee isn't banned, etc, they seem to have no issue at all with allowing this to continue.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Just my opinion but I don't think it's necessary for my home ST to give me advantages for travelling away.

Away 'loyalty' should be calculated independently.

The current scheme rewards Supporter A, a ST holder who has visited 0 away games in the last 10 years by allowing him to go and see us at a potential promotion party at x club. Supporter B who lives in Blyth cannot afford the financial drain of travelling to every home game so he picks and chooses (and gets no 'loyalty' for doing so), but he goes to every away league/cup game. Supporter A will have 1000 points and Supporter B will have 300 points at best.

Something is wrong there, but I do understand that 'support' in this instance is measured financially rather than traditionally.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Just my opinion but I don't think it's necessary for my home ST to give me advantages for travelling away.

Away 'loyalty' should be calculated independently.

The current scheme rewards Supporter A, a ST holder who has visited 0 away games in the last 10 years by allowing him to go and see us at a potential promotion party at x club. Supporter B who lives in Blyth cannot afford the financial drain of travelling to every home game so he picks and chooses (and gets no 'loyalty' for doing so), but he goes to every away league/cup game. Supporter A will have 1000 points and Supporter B will have 300 points at best.

Something is wrong there, but I do understand that 'support' in this instance is measured financially rather than traditionally.

Attending away games means a lot to the fans, but nothing to the club financially. Of course there is the intangible element of better support potentially giving better results, increasing home attendances etc but that is almost impossible to quantify.

For the club, home attendance is everything. Maximising STH is crucial as it gives a definitive amount of money and predictable cash flow. Combining the two together is a clever play by the club - ensure you have as many STH as possible for your financial benefit, by playing on the emotions of the supporters by providing advantageous access to away tickets through ST ownership.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Whatever Tony says goes, and while not a STH I agree with him

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
How much would it cost to go to an EFL Cup match in Colchester? If you start chucking out massive bonus points for games like that, some people will just buy a ticket to rack up the points and not bother going.

Is 50 points really that big? When some games start at 1100+?

And playing a low team in a cup isn't exactly a regular fixture that people could constantly abuse the system by paying and not going.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

When has it ever been measured differently? Whether vouchers, ticket stubs, or coupons, it's always been measured on home games mostly. I don't remember a time historically when it hasn't been!?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
When has it ever been measured differently? Whether vouchers, ticket stubs, or coupons, it's always been measured on home games mostly. I don't remember a time historically when it hasn't been!?

Exactly. Even in the Goldstone days a season ticket gave highest priority levels.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

That's exactly the point I was making. Probably wasn't clear, didn't mean traditionally as in historically, I meant loyalty in a traditional sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here