Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

High court orders Sky, TalkTalk, BT, and Virgin to block illegal football streams

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
So will this mean death to kodi?
Will we still be able to watch films on say exodus etc?
Will it just be like sports devil and their feeds that get stopped ?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
And more importantly your traffic is encrypted. I'm using Torguard.
So at the moment I'm using kodi on an amazon fire stick.
Not thru a pc.
Should I still sign up for a vpn then?

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
So will this mean death to kodi?
Will we still be able to watch films on say exodus etc?
Will it just be like sports devil and their feeds that get stopped ?

There are so many sources, so many streams, from so many countries. I would just hang tight at the minute and see what develops.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Tut tut tut, you do realise that is breaking the rules don't you. Surely if sky wanted you to watch from another country then they would make that option available?

I currently pay for Sky, when I'm away on business I use it the VPN. Sky don't offer me a discount for when I'm out of the country and can't watch their service, so I don't lose too much sleep for using a VPN.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
I currently pay for Sky, when I'm away on business I use it the VPN. Sky don't offer me a discount for when I'm out of the country and can't watch their service, so I don't lose too much sleep for using a VPN.

But the content you are watching in that particular country, the rights would not belong to sky but to a company in that particular country. Now I only bring this up as you seem to have an objection to people using kodi, I'm sure the company who have paid for the rights in whatever country you are in are not particularly happy you watching content they have paid for but not receiving any money from yourself.

Another point about kodi is that at 3pm on a Saturday if we are away I can watch any premier league match I want(and many championship games) but no matter how much I paid I could not here but I could anywhere else in the world. Also I believe that sky have pretty much stuffed up English football so I don't lose to much sleep about watching their content by other means.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
That made me chuckle Megazone. If they had streams in William Wallace's days, I'm sure he would have said that first.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
But the content you are watching in that particular country, the rights would not belong to sky but to a company in that particular country. Now I only bring this up as you seem to have an objection to people using kodi, I'm sure the company who have paid for the rights in whatever country you are in are not particularly happy you watching content they have paid for but not receiving any money from yourself.

Another point about kodi is that at 3pm on a Saturday if we are away I can watch any premier league match I want(and many championship games) but no matter how much I paid I could not here but I could anywhere else in the world. Also I believe that sky have pretty much stuffed up English football so I don't lose to much sleep about watching their content by other means.

I don't really have a problem with people using kodi boxes. I do think people who think it's kids in bedrooms providing the streams should understand that it's not.

I take your point about me watching the games on my VPN when abroad, but I'm not broadcasting it, and I am a subscriber in the U.K. . If there was an option when I'm in France or Italy or wherever for me to watch the Albion on a local pay TV service I would, I think there is a lot to be said for the concept of pay per view, but as far as I'm aware the likes of Bein Sports and other European tv broadcasters who do show EFL and EPL games don't offer one off viewing options.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Sounds like Napster all over again...then we all went onto Limewire to download our music.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Forgot all about them. oh happy days

Govinda Tim

Apr 13, 2012
Brighton
Depending on how your ISP blocks a site, you can sometimes get round it just by changing your DNS settings. But yes, VPN is still a solution, but anything decent usually requires a subscription.

I use Chrome browser with an app for Chrome called ZenMate Its a free VPN app which works seamlessly with Chrome, available through their app store. I then use Rojadirecta.me which is normally blocked by Virgin to access live streams, and choose a stream that uses a plugin called Acestream which is normally HD quality with no popups and very little buffering. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
I don't really have a problem with people using kodi boxes. I do think people who think it's kids in bedrooms providing the streams should understand that it's not.

I take your point about me watching the games on my VPN when abroad, but I'm not broadcasting it, and I am a subscriber in the U.K. . If there was an option when I'm in France or Italy or wherever for me to watch the Albion on a local pay TV service I would, I think there is a lot to be said for the concept of pay per view, but as far as I'm aware the likes of Bein Sports and other European tv broadcasters who do show EFL and EPL games don't offer one off viewing options.

I'm interested to know who you think are providing the streams?

A lot of people have gone down the kodi box route as there is no other way to watch their team on a Saturday at 3pm, others do it to avoid paying sky and some as they simply don't like paying. If there was a way I could get any match, movie or boxset then I would consider paying for it. Until then I won't to be honest.
If you are promoted this year then you will not be able to watch you at 3pm unless you stream.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I'm interested to know who you think are providing the streams?

A lot of people have gone down the kodi box route as there is no other way to watch their team on a Saturday at 3pm, others do it to avoid paying sky and some as they simply don't like paying. If there was a way I could get any match, movie or boxset then I would consider paying for it. Until then I won't to be honest.
If you are promoted this year then you will not be able to watch you at 3pm unless you stream.

There are news articles documenting cases and convictions.
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/tv/kodi-boxes-meet-organisation-targeting-12590029
https://www.fact-uk.org.uk/football-streaming-site-owner-found-guilty/
http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/pubs...ball-matches/story-11948745-detail/story.html

I will be able to watch the Albion as I will either be at the game, or if I can't make it, and the game is on Sky or BT then I'll watch it. If it's not being broadcast, I'll listen to the radio commentary. I'm really not minded to get a kodi box to watch streamed content, and I fully agree the costs of sky are too high, for now I can afford it, who knows what will happen in the future when prices go up again. With sky viewing figures apparently on the decline, they'll tell us it's partly due to illegal streaming, the more people watch it on streaming devices, the more sky will probably justify price increases.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
So at the moment I'm using kodi on an amazon fire stick.
Not thru a pc.
Should I still sign up for a vpn then?

The one I use has an android app in the play store. I agree with swillis though, if you don't want to pay for software it might be worth hanging on to see if the stand stay blocked for long

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
There are news articles documenting cases and convictions.
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/tv/kodi-boxes-meet-organisation-targeting-12590029
https://www.fact-uk.org.uk/football-streaming-site-owner-found-guilty/
http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/pubs...ball-matches/story-11948745-detail/story.html

I will be able to watch the Albion as I will either be at the game, or if I can't make it, and the game is on Sky or BT then I'll watch it. If it's not being broadcast, I'll listen to the radio commentary. I'm really not minded to get a kodi box to watch streamed content, and I fully agree the costs of sky are too high, for now I can afford it, who knows what will happen in the future when prices go up again. With sky viewing figures apparently on the decline, they'll tell us it's partly due to illegal streaming, the more people watch it on streaming devices, the more sky will probably justify price increases.

If you are away and it's a 3pm kick off it's impossible to watch unless you are there.

Only one of those links is about someone providing streams and he was hardly into organised crime. Considering you can buy a kodi box for £20 and put an add-on in about five minutes I fail to see why organised criminals would get involved. The biggest sellers of these boxes are on eBay and Amazon and are registered businesses. A man I know who is very much into the supply etc of these boxes is about sixty years old and is as far removed from an organised criminal as you could imagine. The only reason kodi is getting all these headlines now is because it is in the TV companies interest to do so and a lot are linked to papers.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
A firm like 'My Private Network' lifts £6 a month from your bank account, in return you can access the internet in a way that makes it appear that you are in the country of your choice. Hence I can watch my Sky TV on my iPad regardless of what county I'm in so long as I have a wireless connection.

Hypocrisy?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
If you are away and it's a 3pm kick off it's impossible to watch unless you are there.

Only one of those links is about someone providing streams and he was hardly into organised crime. Considering you can buy a kodi box for £20 and put an add-on in about five minutes I fail to see why organised criminals would get involved. The biggest sellers of these boxes are on eBay and Amazon and are registered businesses. A man I know who is very much into the supply etc of these boxes is about sixty years old and is as far removed from an organised criminal as you could imagine. The only reason kodi is getting all these headlines now is because it is in the TV companies interest to do so and a lot are linked to papers.

Seriously, when did the 'not Being able to watch an away game at 3pm' become an issue? As I said, if I'm not there I'll listen on the radio.

Fair points about the kodi, it certainly seems like something that has got out of control, and into the hands of anyone who cares a bit. I still don't know how a live stream from a foreign country can be accessed, someone, somewhere, is providing access to the feed.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Can DNS settings be changed on sky? My sky router won't allow it. I wanted to use open DNS but was restricted by then locking down their router. I had no problems in the past with plusnet.
Not on the router. But just change it on your devices. I use OpenDNS through Sky.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here