Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

George Osbourne and a By-Election ?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Private Eye leads me to believe that Osborne's changes to annuities directly contributed to Blackrock making profit.

Private Eye has also long questioned the usefulness of The Advisory Committee on Business Appointments (ACOBA) which almost never stands in the way of these sort of moves. Whilst it may be one of the most high profile, I'd say that Osborne's is far from the most egregious example of cronyism. It's not just Tories either, Labour and Liberal ex-ministers have taken the piss in recent times as well.

Last edited:

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
It doesn't matter who runs this country, Tories, Labour they are all the fing same. There will always be conflicts of interests because of the type of work that they do. If your a politician and you do a good favour for a company along the line, chances are that favour will be returned back in the form a permanent job, consultancy once when you finish politics, It's the way it is unfortunately. It's not all one sided this argument either, it happens across the whole of politics.

I agree! It doesn't make it right though... The people shouldn't have to be content with a "that's just how it is" frame of mind. My point is that politics in general needs to be more transparant. (All parties) Any MP with conflicts of interest probably shouldn't be allowed to become MPs in the first place and dealt with very swiftly if it's found to be the case. If we are to preserve our democracy I really don't see any other solution. The lines involving politics, corporations and democracy get blurrier each day.

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Blackrock would be giving him far more money were it not for him having a track record of being, at best, nebulous viz economic strategy. He is merely a dribble nosed lickspittle of limited intelligence. Elsewise, he would demand a stipend fivefold that which he receives/ declares.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Blackrock would be giving him far more money were it not for him having a track record of being, at best, nebulous viz economic strategy. He is merely a dribble nosed lickspittle of limited intelligence. Elsewise, he would demand a stipend fivefold that which he receives/ declares.
He's a complete tool. Which is why this deal is far more likely to be for what he has already done for them as opposed to what he can do for them now.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
He's acquired a 'job' as a cheerleader for a destructive 'risk management' bunch of cu ts who make significant profits from shorting, a filthy practice.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Not sure what the fuss is, other than jealously or party politics. He was sacked as chancellor so no conflict. He has declared the interest as required. Best move on

As Private Eye so marvellously put it, that's Trump-level bollocks...

and what is it with Tatton MP's, first we had Neil Hamilton, do we need another Martin Bell to ride in in a white suit ???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here