Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The road to 90 points

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What on earth does that mean?

There really is some utter BALLS talked about with run ins. I keep hearing ´It doesnñt matter what Huddesfield or Leeds do´, of course it does FFS. Now we are hearing that points are irrelevant, wow.

I know, it's laughable!
"Points are irrelevant, we just need more points than Huddersfield" - WTF???!!!!

Why bother posting if you're gonna contradict yourself in the space of just 1 sentence? 😂

In fairness I can sort of see what [MENTION=27030]dangull[/MENTION] means, any total points target, whether you think it's 92, 90, whatever, is irrelevant because the only thing that matters is being above 3rd. There is a logic in that rather than thinking we need 6 wins, or this number of points, each game you tick off as long as you've matched or bettered the results of those below, you go up.

Personally, I like to have a bit of a prediction, but I'm pretty sure Hughton and the players will be looking at it the same way. They won't be thinking 92 points (I don't think...) they'll just be thinking of getting the next result - points required to be above 3rd will be an evolving total with each passing game. Hence football's great mantra is 1 game at a time.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I fully predict that 90 will probably not be enough this year. Expecting 90 to be enough, is expecting Huddersfield to tail away and lose a bit of form in my opinion. If they maintain roughly their 2 point per game average (and they've been surpassing this lately), they'll be on 90 points. Given that they've had a tough run of fixtures recently and have a favorable run-in, I expect that we'll need to get closer to 93/94 points to guarantee automatic promotion.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If we were in the playoffs, it's highly unlikely we'd face Newcastle or Huddersfield. We're considerably better than Leeds, Reading & Massive so the playoffs offer a reasonable safety blanket.

Nah. We were miles better than Sheff Weds, Hull etc last year but didn't make a difference. We must be developing a complex about the playoffs by now. We need to go up autos.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
90 points is nowhere near enough this year. If we can average 2 ppg we will be on 94.If Udders maintain their 2.27 (I think it is) average they will be on 93.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Nah. We were miles better than Sheff Weds, Hull etc last year but didn't make a difference. We must be developing a complex about the playoffs by now. We need to go up autos.

What screwed us last season was being far better than the chasing pack, and being good enough to be fighting for a top 2 place until the last seconds of the last game. We then hit the playoffs unprepared physically, mentally and with key players missing, whereas Wednesday had the complete opposite experience, having been safely in the playoffs for a couple of weeks; had rested players and were always prepared for the playoffs.

I do worry that unless Wednesday and perhaps Leeds drop a bit, then the playoffs will be beyond the chasing pack again, and we get a rested set of playoff bound teams, leaving whomever finishes 3rd utterly screwed again.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If we get 91 points (by my calculations) we will have done bloody well. Will that be enough to stay in front of Huddersfield??? I havent got a scooby.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
93 maybe will do it, could be more. Can't see 90 getting an automatic spot. All we can do is pick up as many points as quickly as possible, starting with 3 on Friday!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Looking at Huddersfield's run in, they've got to play Brentford, Norwich, Preston, Derby, Fulham and Cardiff all of whom are capable of taking points off them and Newcastle have to play Fulham, the MASSIVE, Leeds, Preston, Cardiff and Barnsley. No-one can take anything for granted - this is going to the wire.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What screwed us last season was being far better than the chasing pack, and being good enough to be fighting for a top 2 place until the last seconds of the last game. We then hit the playoffs unprepared physically, mentally and with key players missing, whereas Wednesday had the complete opposite experience, having been safely in the playoffs for a couple of weeks; had rested players and were always prepared for the playoffs.

I do worry that unless Wednesday and perhaps Leeds drop a bit, then the playoffs will be beyond the chasing pack again, and we get a rested set of playoff bound teams, leaving whomever finishes 3rd utterly screwed again.

As you say, can see the same happening again. We really should warn Huddersfield that they would be much better off giving up on autos, and resting themselves for the playoffs now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If we think 90 points will get a team up we are inching closer
What if we don't think that's enough?

Top 6 points this season after 36 games:
1. Newcast - Played 36 = 77 points
2. Brighton – Played 36 = 74 points
3. Hudders – Played 35 = 68 points
4. Leeds U – Played 36 = 65 points
5. Reading – Played 36 = 64 points
6. Sheffield – Played 36 = 62 points
Total = 410

Last season
1. Burnley – Played 36 = 71 points
2. Middles – Played 36 = 67 points
3. Hull City – Played 35 = 65 points
4. Brighton – Played 36 = 65 points
5. Derby C – Played 36 = 60 points
6. Sheffield – Played 36 = 56 points
Total = 384

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
In fairness I can sort of see what [MENTION=27030]dangull[/MENTION] means, any total points target, whether you think it's 92, 90, whatever, is irrelevant because the only thing that matters is being above 3rd. There is a logic in that rather than thinking we need 6 wins, or this number of points, each game you tick off as long as you've matched or bettered the results of those below, you go up.

Personally, I like to have a bit of a prediction, but I'm pretty sure Hughton and the players will be looking at it the same way. They won't be thinking 92 points (I don't think...) they'll just be thinking of getting the next result - points required to be above 3rd will be an evolving total with each passing game. Hence football's great mantra is 1 game at a time.

He did not say that a points target total is irrelevant, he said that points are irrelevant.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
If we were in the playoffs, it's highly unlikely we'd face Newcastle or Huddersfield. We're considerably better than Leeds, Reading & Massive so the playoffs offer a reasonable safety blanket.

Mmmm, we will see how much better we are than Leeds next week!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What if we don't think that's enough?

Top 6 points this season after 36 games:
1. Newcast - Played 36 = 77 points
2. Brighton – Played 36 = 74 points
3. Hudders – Played 35 = 68 points
4. Leeds U – Played 36 = 65 points
5. Reading – Played 36 = 64 points
6. Sheffield – Played 36 = 62 points
Total = 410

Last season
1. Burnley – Played 36 = 71 points
2. Middles – Played 36 = 67 points
3. Hull City – Played 35 = 65 points
4. Brighton – Played 36 = 65 points
5. Derby C – Played 36 = 60 points
6. Sheffield – Played 36 = 56 points
Total = 384

This post on its own has got to worth a few wet mattresses...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This post on its own has got to worth a few wet mattresses...
It's like having a woodpecker in my head. There will be some good teams missing out on top 6 this year, and those that make it will have earned it. Top two is currently looking like a few points more than last year.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012

I know this gets a mention every year but the 3rd place team should be given an advantage in the play-offs that is greater than just playing the 6th placed team. I think 6th should play 5th at the 5th placed home ground, the winners of that play 4th at the 4th placed home ground and the winners of that play 3rd place at Wembley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I know this gets a mention every year but the 3rd place team should be given an advantage in the play-offs that is greater than just playing the 6th placed team. I think 6th should play 5th at the 5th placed home ground, the winners of that play 4th at the 4th placed home ground and the winners of that play 3rd place at Wembley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think the 3rd place team should get a bye to the final - leaving the 4th to play 5th for the right to play them.

Edit: so, not that different from your idea.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here