Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber - ID checks of fans at away games?

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
May I ask Bozza a question. You state you have 2 tickets. I dont know if your 2nd ticket is adult or child. However if they where no longer interested in going I assume you would then want to change ticket to your 6 year old. What would your reaction be if club said sorry not allowed. Ticket must be sold to someone on waiting list who wants to watch premiership football

I have 3 tickets, 1 adult, 1 u18 & 1 U21. The U21 can't go anymore due to work etc. I would love to change the U21 to a U10/U18 for my youngest son but the answer is NO. The reason is as you said, the ST must be offered first to someone who has paid to join the waiting list. My only hope is that no-one on the waiting list is interested in a single seat, but I don't hold out much hope for that.

It's a real shame, there must be plenty of STH who have younger children who at some stage they would like to take, but if the club achieves what I really want them to achieve, then there will be little or no chance of ever taking your kids along.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I have 3 tickets, 1 adult, 1 u18 & 1 U21. The U21 can't go anymore due to work etc. I would love to change the U21 to a U10/U18 for my youngest son but the answer is NO. The reason is as you said, the ST must be offered first to someone who has paid to join the waiting list. My only hope is that no-one on the waiting list is interested in a single seat, but I don't hold out much hope for that.

It's a real shame, there must be plenty of STH who have younger children who at some stage they would like to take, but if the club achieves what I really want them to achieve, then there will be little or no chance of ever taking your kids along.

There will be gaps occurring in the Family stand every season as kids get older. Therefore there will be chances for parents with younger kids to move in.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There will be gaps occurring in the Family stand every season as kids get older. Therefore there will be chances for parents with younger kids to move in.

Where do older kids go? From having a ST to being on a waiting list, life's great when you get older.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yes it was a No. I was told there are about 500 on the waiting list.

That is likely to be within the seasonal "churn", I would think, anyway.

Edit to add, the tv money is so great in the Premier League, that ticket revenue isn't even needed to run a club, unless the club starts paying stupid wages to players. This is why some clubs are capping the away fans tickets.

Nah, they're capping them because they've been told they have to!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

There won't be very many gaps for the kids who have been forced to move out, to be able to move into tho. Which is a real shame. Maybe actually makes sense to disband the Family Section so that current families in there can continue to sit next to each other, irrespective of age. And the JCVLs on the waiting list can just, er, WAIT.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
'General sale' doesn't mean that though, does it? It means 'available (regardless of LP) to those with a previous purchase history'. No?

Hmm.. Dunno, tbh. I'd assumed it meant "we'll shift them to anyone who doesn't have a banning order or who we've banned", but maybe not...

EDIT: Actually, at some point it has to mean what I've assumed, otherwise no-one who had no purchase history would ever be able to get a purchase history...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
Jun 27, 2012
Why do you doubt it? If Barber is still in charge then he will be doing everything possible to maximise income streams. It is his raison d'etre.

I would love to be wrong and see some sign that under Tony Bloom's ownership we might be different somehow but there is no such evidence available.

Oh come on. There's evidence all over the place and no sign that the club are going to get rid of this, that or the other..
If PB was as ruthless as you seem to think he is then much of this would have been swept away a long time ago and it certainly doesn't happen under most, if not any other, Prem or Champ club. Its actually the complete reverse. This sort of stuff is actually the sort of stuff he's clearly proud of and boasts about to his peers at industry breakfasts and the like.
http://www.cityam.com/260258/brighton-hove-albion-chief-paul-barber-explains-off-field

- Freezes or less than inflation increases in ST prices since move to Amex including for 2017/18.
- Discounts introduced for u21s
- A free shirt for 7 year olds
- A free kids christmas party for 2500 fans
- Free camping on the pitch night for hundreds of kids/fans
- Insistence on caterers supplying real ale from local brewery and local pies
- Spending fortunes on vast pictures of Peter Ward all over the place.
- surveys asking fans about safe standing and dozens of other forums where Bloom, Barber, Hughton talk to fans.
- hours and hours and very long emails communicating with fans republished on here.
- etc etc etc

PB sometimes makes mistakes and his approach and manner on certain issues is clearly not to the liking of many but your random kite flying (concessions are going !, "i would love to be be wrong BUT..." "will be phased out") is a load of old guff.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Oh come on. There's evidence all over the place and no sign that the club are going to get rid of this, that or the other..
If PB was as ruthless as you seem to think he is then much of this would have been swept away a long time ago and it certainly doesn't happen under most, if not any other, Prem or Champ club. Its actually the complete reverse. This sort of stuff is actually the sort of stuff he's clearly proud of and boasts about to his peers at industry breakfasts and the like.
http://www.cityam.com/260258/brighton-hove-albion-chief-paul-barber-explains-off-field

- Freezes or less than inflation increases in ST prices since move to Amex including for 2017/18.
- surveys asking fans about safe standing and dozens of other forums where Bloom, Barber, Hughton talk to fans.
- hours and hours and very long emails communicating with fans republished on here.
- etc etc etc

PB sometimes makes mistakes and his approach and manner on certain issues is clearly not to the liking of many but your random kite flying (concessions are going !, "i would love to be be wrong BUT..." "will be phased out") is a load of old guff.

Remind me again of why you joined NSC in the same month as PB was appointed Chief Executive of BHAFC (June 2012) and why your 'Day job is Head of social media...'? ???

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

- etc etc etc

I'm glad you are so confident. Why is the price of tickets per match for fans going up by around 20%+ next season if we get promoted...?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Remind me again of why you joined NSC in the same month as PB was appointed Chief Executive of BHAFC (June 2012) and why your 'Day job is Head of social media...'? ???

Very humourous but Jem works for the BBC.

There is a 10% turnover of season tickets every year, due to deaths, people moving away, going to university etc.

Only 22K season tickets are available, so there are over 5K general tickets available for every match. Kids who really want to go to matches aren't going to miss out, if they really want to go.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
May I ask Bozza a question. You state you have 2 tickets. I dont know if your 2nd ticket is adult or child. However if they where no longer interested in going I assume you would then want to change ticket to your 6 year old. What would your reaction be if club said sorry not allowed. Ticket must be sold to someone on waiting list who wants to watch premiership football

I have two kids - one lives with me and the other doesn't. The latter is the one who is into the Albion but it's luck as to how the fixtures land relative to the weekends she is with me.

You're right I would expect what you describe. To do anything else would be stupid and crassly shit.

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
If they have identified genuine 'trouble makers' and 'touts' abusing the system... why not pursue them directly rather than this ill-judged and unwelcome heavy handed edict to all long-suffering and dedicated supporters?

Yawn!

See earlier posts...

Just stay calm and carry on as you are. Save the shouting for tomorrow night. :albion2:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Now that is ridiculous. I accept there will be numerous different scenarios where people may feel they deserve the right to retain the use of a season ticket for a connected other, but surely the one you describe is one where it should absolutely be permitted.

You have my sympathy for what sounds absolutely ridiculous.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Why do you doubt it? If Barber is still in charge then he will be doing everything possible to maximise income streams. It is his raison d'etre.

I would love to be wrong and see some sign that under Tony Bloom's ownership we might be different somehow but there is no such evidence available.

The Amex needed filling and so all sorts of incentives that created reasonable value for fans were created. These will gradually be phased out as demand for tickets starts to consistently outstrip supply.

The chance to signal a different intent was to say that if we got to the Premier League, given the £100m+ windfall to the club, there would be no increase in the prices of tickets per match (to STHs or match by match buyers). This chance was not taken and instead we get a load of bollocks about making things unnecessarily worse for long time and loyal fans in the interests of being "fair" to our lovely new fans.

As much as I loathe Manchester United, they could easily increase ticket prices, and/or sell a lot more tickets to football tourists who are far more likely to waste money in the Megastore, stadium tour etc.

However they don't do that, ticket prices have been frozen for five or six years. The reason for that is the vast majority of the people working at the club are genuine fans who want the best for their fellow fans, and even the gimps in charge of United have taken some notice of pricing.

Tony Bloom is an Albion fan, many of us have seen him with his sandwiches on trains heading to/from matches. Paul Barber is a football fan, he is also a very good administrator, and does work his bollocks off for Tony. They are not evil, and Tony isn't out to recover his investment in the club by trying to fleece the fans.

I don't think this issue has been handled particularly well, and it raises many questions that perhaps need answering in due course, but that shouldn't take away from the achievements of the past few years in building up an infrastructure that has put us in with a superb chance of promotion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here