Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber - ID checks of fans at away games?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I don't agree with what PB is proposing on the basis that the problem isn't a major issue but I disagree with your comment. STH and home tickets is money into the club. Those that just go to away games aren't putting money into their club so why should they get priority over home supporters.

Those that put the effort in to go away should get priority for away games that have demand greater than supply. Buying a season ticket requires no effort. Travelling to Blackburn on a Tuesday does.

This isn't a personal thing as I do both.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So what's the problem? :shrug:

Say you want to go to Norwich for a hypothetical promotion party, and all the eats are sold before the loyalty points drop to your level, so you miss out. How do you then feel if you find out 200 people with less points than you - perhaps who'd been to no games all season - DID get tickets?

Exactly. What's the point of the loyalty points system if it's abused?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What problem do you suspect there is?

i dont know, only have the same release you have. you're right its out of the blue, but they say theres a problem, theres no reason for them the say that if there isnt. could be known fans being at the away games, or some loud mouths saying how they've not been away when at a high loyalty point game. couple have noted the types of people at Nottingham so the timing may be related.

How about saying they think there's an issue and why it's important, showing some evidence of it and the scale of it, then consulting with fans over what, if anything to do about it?

which is absolutly what they should have done, but not seen anyone really ask that. lots of bravado about not showing ID.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
With regards to home games, this Is being misinterpreted isn't it? Probably because it's ambiguous. I don't think Barber's saying the club are massively clamping down on people giving their season ticket to, say, another family member for an individual match. The intention surely is to stop people transferring their ticket for the whole season to someone they know. If everyone did that, it would become a closed shop and few people would ever have the chance to break on to the season ticket list. Seems some logic in that although I don't get the bit about a bereavement for instance. If 2 people go and one dies, they may want to transfer the 2nd seat to a friend so they still have someone to go with.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
So I turn up at an away ground with nothing more than the ticket I have purchased at the club and enough cash in my pocket for my day out and nothing else. I get stopped by some guy outside an away ground demanding ID which I don't have, what is going to happen?

What law says I must carry ID

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
So I turn up at an away with nothing more than the ticket I have purchased at the club and enough cash in my pocket for my day out and nothing else. I get stopped by some guy outside an away ground demanding ID which I don't have, what is going to happen?

Not sure what that's got to do with what I was saying which was tighten up the loyalty points to prioritise away supporters and you won't get the abuse, hence no need to check ID.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure what that's got to do with what I was saying which was tighten up the loyalty points to prioritise away supporters and you won't get the abuse, hence no need to check ID.

Why should away supporters get higher priority?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
So I turn up at an away with nothing more than the ticket I have purchased at the club and enough cash in my pocket for my day out and nothing else. I get stopped by some guy outside an away ground demanding ID which I don't have, what is going to happen?

I would say he has zero authority to demand any id. Having a valid ticket for entry and no legal reason to stop you I would say that neither the club or the home club could refuse admission without it appearing prejudicial.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
So I turn up at an away ground with nothing more than the ticket I have purchased at the club and enough cash in my pocket for my day out and nothing else. I get stopped by some guy outside an away ground demanding ID which I don't have, what is going to happen?

No papers? You Vill be shot.

D

Deleted member 2719

One of the following:

A) :guns:

B) :tantrum:

C) punish:

D) :rave:

E) :flounce:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Those that put the effort in to go away should get priority for away games that have demand greater than supply. Buying a season ticket requires no effort. Travelling to Blackburn on a Tuesday does.

This isn't a personal thing as I do both.

Buying a season ticket does require effort in that you are committing to watch 23 games and putting money into the club.

That said, I suspect the number of people that only go to away games is very small in the grand scheme of things.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Why should away supporters get higher priority to away games? Why not? As I said earlier those that make the effort to go away should get priority for away games where tickets are sparse.

100%

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Why should away supporters get higher priority to away games? Why not? As I said earlier those that make the effort to go away should get priority for away games where tickets are sparse.

There's no right or wrong on this issue. The club can choose how to allocate tickets in a number of ways, none of which have moral superiority over the others. The club are choosing to make away ticket allocation a perk of buying a season ticket.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
which is absolutely what they should have done, but not seen anyone really ask that. lots of bravado about not showing ID.

Besides this not being a good way to go about solving something, I have to say that if you're a 50+ year old long-term fan (that'll be me), the suggestion that you'd have to show ID simply to attend a domestic match is quite emotional, and not in a good way - it's way too reminiscent of a time when we were treated like the dregs of the earth. This short article barely scratches the surface: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/may/18/seven-deadly-sins-thatcher-tories-football

And I know this is *completely* different, and not at all sinister, but it does have unfortunate echoes.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Buying a season ticket does require effort in that you are committing to watch 23 games and putting money into the club.

That said, I suspect the number of people that only go to away games is very small in the grand scheme of things.

I have a ST and won't have watched 23 home games! Probably closer to 10 thanks to Sky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here