Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber - ID checks of fans at away games?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
On a separate note, it would be good if there was an official mechanism to share a ST with the possibility to register one alternative person on it ( no doubt for a fee ).

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I'm curious if this to stop a few fans of banning orders from going to away games? Just trying to think why this has been put in place.

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
I travel to games on the coach and leave my wallet on the coach. All I have in my pocket is money and my phone. Will they stop me from purchasing future tickets?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I never carry my driving licence, and never have. I don't have a credit card. I don't tend to take my debit card to football, or anywhere else there's likely to be a crush of people as it would be easy to 'lose'. I simply take enough money for beer, chips, and my tickets. I will be interested to see what happens....

You'll only need to be refused entry once to change that behaviour!

I travel to games on the coach and leave my wallet on the coach. All I have in my pocket is money and my phone. Will they stop me from purchasing future tickets?

See previous answer.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not a fan no, he has far too much to say for himself in my view.
Yes he is probably absorbing the shots from BOARD decisions, but how many of those decisions are made and passed that are Barbers recommendations in the first place?

How do you know that they're his personal recommendations? Spy in the Board room?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
True at the moment, but that's changing as well. For the next GE, you'll have to show photo ID (as you do already in NI)
No, they're talking about potentially looking at it in a couple of constituencies where there have been particular problems with electoral fraud.
I didn't know that was coming in, good idea imo always seemed strange voting without showing ID

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
On a separate note, it would be good if there was an official mechanism to share a ST with the possibility to register one alternative person on it ( no doubt for a fee ).

I don't think it would be good, tbh, I think it would be excessively restrictive and draconian.

It would essentially put off anyone new from ever coming to a game.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don't think it would be good, tbh, I think it would be excessively restrictive and draconian.

It would essentially put off anyone new from ever coming to a game.

I see you point. Initially I thought that sounded a good suggestion. It's a bit like the T's & C's and people naturally wanting clarification. Actually, we're all much better off if the rules are a bit blurred round the edges. Need to be careful what we wish for.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When I was alerted to this a few days ago I knew it would create a big stir even though it doesn't really change anything for almost every one of us. If you buy tickets for yourself and go to games using those tickets, there really is nothing to see here. The club are trying to ensure that a fan who qualifies to buy a ticket, particularly those games where demand exceeds supply, has the appropriate opportunity to purchase a ticket.

I've not read most of this thread due to being in and around Rotherham (and am currently on my way back) but the club have sent through a few points of clarification based on some of the posts made here:

Away match tickets:

1. This policy is designed to protect loyal supporters: those fans that have earned the right to buy away tickets.

2. It's only necessary because the loyalty point scheme is being abused by a small
minority - resulting in complaints from fans.

3. The club reserves the right to check ID for those it suspects have abused the scheme. Clearly, that doesn't mean all traveling fans.

4. The only people that should be concerned are those currently abusing the loyalty point scheme - or benefitting from that abuse.

5. Our club has a responsibility to the host club to ensure fans attending their stadium are those fans the tickets were intended for.

6. Over-riding all is the law (it is illegal to sell or pass tickets to a football match - even without payment - without authorisation).

Season tickets:

7. Season tickets have never been transferable - match by match, by season, or permanently - see point 6 above.

8. The club has tried to help season ticket holders - and build its own fan base - by introducing, and allowing, some flexibility.

9. Our approach is far more flexible than most clubs, and provides most season ticket holders with considerable added value.

10. Anyone who passes on season tickets outside of the club's authorised process does so at their own risk. Nothing new.

11. We can't allow permanent transfers of season tickets because we have a waiting list - and we don't want a "closed shop".

12. Again, this policy is about being fair to all supporters. It isn't fair to those on a waiting list if they don't get a chance to buy.

13. IF we are promoted, demand for season tickets and away match tickets will be at its highest so we must have clear polices.

In summary, the club's policies are designed to protect loyal supporters - those earning loyalty points for away matches - or those fans trying to become loyal supporters - by paying to be on the season ticket waiting list. Both groups are important to a club that's trying to retain and grow its fan base and, in the past 6 years, has done so very well.

Unfortunately, however, as with the many other loopholes the club's ticketing team have found - and closed - in recent years, we have a very small minority of fans that wish to operate on their own terms rather than the club's. This creates considerable additional work for the club and resentment from other fans leading to complaints.

Contrary to the opinion of some, the club's staff don't sit in a dark room thinking of ways to make life difficult for our fans! We simply try to react to circumstances and situations to protect and support fans from the unfair actions of others. Sometimes our reaction may seem harsh or hardline, that's because there are few ways to solve certain issues.

The rhetoric about "the club will regret this when they're on the way down etc" is disappointing - and slightly ironic - given the key points of the changes are to protect loyal fans (from not missing out on big away trips) and to help develop and encourage the current interest in the club, while adding value for existing season ticket holders!

With the club growing so quickly, we must evolve terms and conditions to meet the changing nature of the way we are supported and our tickets are used. This is part and parcel of a football club growing up and, by definition, will never please everyone all of the time, particularly those who prefer things done their way, regardless of fairness.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
What a load of nonsense. If its such a small minority what's the problem? Good luck asking for ID - pathetic

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
I partly understand where the club are coming from with this. However, because of my locality and family/work situation I get to one or two home games a season. I will try and make as many away games within reasonable distance as I can. In their eyes though this doesn't make me a loyal supporter. I've actually been a loyal supporter for 35 years, through the good and bad times and haven't ever lived in Sussex.

I went on marches during the dark days, followed the team when they were utter gash.......and now, if we get promoted, I will probably not be able to see my team play in the premiership if demand for away tickets is oversubscribed from those collecting points during the good times.

Again, I understand where the club are coming from but loyal supporters are not defined by having a season ticket at a time when we are actually very good. But there's no way round this so I will just have to invest in Sky Sports.

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
This is pretty much a case of a few abuses of the system have lead to the Club having to make a 'general' statement which will surprise and frustrate a few. Common sense will no doubt prevail in 99% of cases, but hopefully any serious breaches will be brought to the fore and dealt with.
Pretty much as is in my eyes, nothing changes.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
"added value" :facepalm:

Not impressed. There are controls in place if there is trouble, eg the person handing the ticket on is in trouble. More micro management which happens all through society, just hurts when its something so close to our hearts. All a bit dull from the Albion.

Btw I went to an iTunes gig at the Roundhouse in London last year. You cant buy tickets, you enter a lottery. I won two tickets under my name and it was clear i had to bring photo id. I did but my wife didnt. Even though her details were not part of the entry they would only let her in if she had photo id. And yes everyone was checked. Only got in by sending our boy in a taxi with her drivers licence. Still not sure why they did this, they kept no records of her entry

And fake id is cheap i believe, most teenagers have them (allegedly)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
When I was alerted to this a few days ago I knew it would create a big stir even though it doesn't really change anything for almost every one of us. If you buy tickets for yourself and go to games using those tickets, there really is nothing to see here. The club are trying to ensure that a fan who qualifies to buy a ticket, particularly those games where demand exceeds supply, has the appropriate opportunity to purchase a ticket.

I've not read most of this thread due to being in and around Rotherham (and am currently on my way back) but the club have sent through a few points of clarification based on some of the posts made here:

Away match tickets:

1. This policy is designed to protect loyal supporters: those fans that have earned the right to buy away tickets.

2. It's only necessary because the loyalty point scheme is being abused by a small
minority - resulting in complaints from fans.

3. The club reserves the right to check ID for those it suspects have abused the scheme. Clearly, that doesn't mean all traveling fans.

4. The only people that should be concerned are those currently abusing the loyalty point scheme - or benefitting from that abuse.

5. Our club has a responsibility to the host club to ensure fans attending their stadium are those fans the tickets were intended for.

6. Over-riding all is the law (it is illegal to sell or pass tickets to a football match - even without payment - without authorisation).

Season tickets:

7. Season tickets have never been transferable - match by match, by season, or permanently - see point 6 above.

8. The club has tried to help season ticket holders - and build its own fan base - by introducing, and allowing, some flexibility.

9. Our approach is far more flexible than most clubs, and provides most season ticket holders with considerable added value.

10. Anyone who passes on season tickets outside of the club's authorised process does so at their own risk. Nothing new.

11. We can't allow permanent transfers of season tickets because we have a waiting list - and we don't want a "closed shop".

12. Again, this policy is about being fair to all supporters. It isn't fair to those on a waiting list if they don't get a chance to buy.

13. IF we are promoted, demand for season tickets and away match tickets will be at its highest so we must have clear polices.

In summary, the club's policies are designed to protect loyal supporters - those earning loyalty points for away matches - or those fans trying to become loyal supporters - by paying to be on the season ticket waiting list. Both groups are important to a club that's trying to retain and grow its fan base and, in the past 6 years, has done so very well.

Unfortunately, however, as with the many other loopholes the club's ticketing team have found - and closed - in recent years, we have a very small minority of fans that wish to operate on their own terms rather than the club's. This creates considerable additional work for the club and resentment from other fans leading to complaints.

Contrary to the opinion of some, the club's staff don't sit in a dark room thinking of ways to make life difficult for our fans! We simply try to react to circumstances and situations to protect and support fans from the unfair actions of others. Sometimes our reaction may seem harsh or hardline, that's because there are few ways to solve certain issues.

The rhetoric about "the club will regret this when they're on the way down etc" is disappointing - and slightly ironic - given the key points of the changes are to protect loyal fans (from not missing out on big away trips) and to help develop and encourage the current interest in the club, while adding value for existing season ticket holders!

With the club growing so quickly, we must evolve terms and conditions to meet the changing nature of the way we are supported and our tickets are used. This is part and parcel of a football club growing up and, by definition, will never please everyone all of the time, particularly those who prefer things done their way, regardless of fairness.

I understand the clubs stance in this but to not allow a family member, living at the same address, to become the ST holder is wrong. As many have posted as children grow up they may move away. If there's a younger child in the family who then wishes to come effectively the club are denying that child the chance to become a regular.

As long as all the users of the ST's reside at the same address, are from the same family, is paid for by the same person and the correct ticket for the correct age, there shouldn't be a problem.

I've invested, as I'm sure many other have, tens of thousands of pounds down the years in supporting the Albion all over the country and I'm not about to start showing id.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I partly understand where the club are coming from with this. However, because of my locality and family/work situation I get to one or two home games a season. I will try and make as many away games within reasonable distance as I can. In their eyes though this doesn't make me a loyal supporter. I've actually been a loyal supporter for 35 years, through the good and bad times and haven't ever lived in Sussex.

I went on marches during the dark days, followed the team when they were utter gash.......and now, if we get promoted, I will probably not be able to see my team play in the premiership if demand for away tickets is oversubscribed from those collecting points during the good times.

Again, I understand where the club are coming from but loyal supporters are not defined by having a season ticket at a time when we are actually very good. But there's no way round this so I will just have to invest in Sky Sports.

I'm pretty much in your position but the other way round. I'm a home season ticket holder (through good and bad times!). I have not been to one away game since we moved to the Amex. A combination of health and finance has prevented me from doing so.

But the club have to fairly reward those supporters that put most into the club ie Home season ticket holders (financial + support) that travel away (support). I too will be investing in SKY sports once we get to the Premier League.

Norwich do an away season ticket. I wonder if something like that will be introduced at some stage that may help people like yourself that can't regularly make it to the Amex?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The important bit there is "entitled" - if a match is sold out to say everybody above 1,200 points then a person on 1,190 would not be entitled to a ticket. This is the problem which they are trying to stop unfortunately its the minority who abuse this.
But it's not abuse!! The word is unnecessary as is the whole shit storm Barber has unwisely caused. Very few probably do this, the vast majority of incidents that do are almost certainly exchanges within a group of friends or family, at face value and because eg Auntie Ethel died, little Johnny has a cold or Someone has now got to work. All of which are on the day type problems we all encounter. There is life beyong football Mr Barber!! Ow and lets not forget the club constantly wants its ****ing cake and eat it re: Sky fixture changes which wastes numerous peoples ST's inc mine each season but especially the last two. Christ, if the club thinks they're being abused they'd do well to try looking at things from fans perspective. Nope, Barber has really ducked up here with his sledgehammer approach. And we wont be druv. Barber OUT!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here