Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber - ID checks of fans at away games?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Maybe the can ask you security questions?

I was asked one of these on the phone the other day, I had no idea what I had said the first time around - so came up with something. The bloke on the other end of the phone simply said "Good guess, Sir". Maybe they could ask us our favourite colours. Or even 'what team do you support?'

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006
If you read the complete article about season tickets and not being able to pass them on via a name change unless you bought the seat licence with the season ticket it smacks of a 'season ticket licence' sales campaign the MINUTE we go UP

That is in place now though.

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006
Pretty sure when they tried this for the Palace play-off game they didn't even have names on tickets. In fact, I don't remember seeing names on away tickets at all. Presumably somebody will be brining a big list of all the tickets sold and to whom they were sold, so they can tick you off if they check your ID?

That's exactly what they did at Palace. Result ? People bringing fake ID just in case. Lunacy.

The-Libertine

May 2, 2006
Not being a STH or have many points I can only get to a few away games now. For 30 odd years at times going to watch the Albion has helped out many a time when life has been hard. I used to take myself to an away game to cheer myself up and forget for a day about everyday life. I don't really care what league we are in I don't go for the glory I go because it's been part of my life for years. I understand everyone wants to watch a winning side but please don't forget the fans who go because they love their club whatever league we are in and just for a day it can be a life saver. Modern football is for the wealthy now and it's a shame. It was the one place on a Saturday where no one cared who I was or what I did, it had no restrictions a place to be free.

Excellent post.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think people are losing sight of the bigger picture here.

What am I supposed to do with my QPR ticket now?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Those 1,006 at Rotherham tonight should be more entitled to get tickets for say Norwich than Mr 1901 not been away all season who wants to jump on the glory ship IMO

Bollocks do they.

I was at Rotherham tonight. I'm sitting in a hotel bar right now in fact, despairing at the humans around me.

But it was only my third away game of the season (Ipswich and Fulham in case you care). I'm no more deserving than many others.

Whatever scheme is devised to reward "loyalty", some deserving cases will miss out.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Agree with others who are calling this a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

How many times a season do we actually sell out the away end? It all just feels a bit wrong to have a dig at people who are making the effort to support the club away from home.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Agree with others who are calling this a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

How many times a season do we actually sell out the away end? It all just feels a bit wrong to have a dig at people who are making the effort to support the club away from home.

The club won't be seeking to validate attendance at games where supply exceeds demand. They're not stupid.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Just back from the pub and a meal out where I have been following the Albion score like I have done for the last 46 years. They've not played one game in that time that I've not followed in some way and tonight was no different.

At various times in those 46 years I've had season tickets and in some seasons I would have been to most games home and away. This year I bought a half share in a West Stand Upper season ticket which I now understand from Mr Barber's announcement is actually unacceptable. Frankly I find this an astonishing and disappointing way to reward 46 years of support during which I have attended what I would estimate to be between 500 and 600 Albion matches. However if that's the rules I will have to follow from more of a distance in the future.

For now, I will put this down to the law of unintended consequences but I very much hope that lessons can be learned from my experience of love for Brighton and Hove Albion.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The club won't be seeking to validate attendance at games where supply exceeds demand. They're not stupid.

But they're stupid enough to come out with this ludicrous, draconian "you there..yes you...I need to see some ID" spot-checks at away games. Which, if they're seriously going to start doing, is just a recipe for some serious rancour, bitterness and confrontation with our travelling support. And for what ? Just to police a small handful of fans who may (or very probably actually haven't) have got a ticket ahead of their loyalty points entitlement, for a variety of reasons, some of which are going to be perfectly reasonable.

They're creating a brand new problem to address what is at worst a pretty minor one that few, if any, have ever grizzled about. 99% of the time if someone doesn't get a ticket, its because they've been too slow off the mark and I include myself in that. If I'm on the ball with when they go on sale then I've never failed to get a ticket, and I'm by no means an uberfan regular traveller, I've got about 1150 or something. And if someone is there who has less points then me cos they've had a ticket passed to them ? Big deal, I should've been quicker, just give them a shout from me.

The club have got this badly wrong IMO.

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
As somebody has previously mentioned, the club probably need to accept that the forest game should have been on a loyalty points scheme given there would be a rather obvious demand with only 2000 tickets and 3pm on a saturday. I would hazard a guess that most fans in the top couple of brackets use their own ticket, hence why they have so many points. As it happened people were snapping up 5 or 6 at a time.

I dont beleive the forest tickets sold out in an hour? So anybody who really wanted to go would have known it was no loyalty points and been ready to buy them on the day and time. I cant beleive anyone who was desperate to go couldn't log on that morning and get a ticket.

If i have enough points for a game, purchase a ticket and then cannot go for whatever reason then there should be no reason i cant pass that to an albion supporting mate through fear of being IDd and not getting in. I of course no that should they misbehave then that absolutley falls back on me.

If i cant make a home game, am i really not able to pass that to a friend or relative?? Perhaps they will end up coming again and again....on top of the food drink, programe etc they might buy....

How about asking the fans what they think? Because reading through this thread i think its pretty clear to see its an unpopular story and i cant beleive most on here are buying away tickets to sell on.....

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The other year I was back in the UK for a brief period and had the chance to go to a game - my only game of that season - but it was a sellout. Thankfully some wonderful soul on here sorted me out and I had a lovely day in the rickety withdean south stand. A few years later I was able to help a similar person get a ticket for a fan-number only game at the Amex. We're a community and that matters

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Tapatalk

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
So, what happens with Children's tickets then? Are we expected to take thier birth certificates out?

For away games, if there are say 8 of you going, you just dish the tickets out to the eight in no particular order. Smith may well have Jones's ticket and in this instance would technically not be able to get in. In practice how would this work? Tickets come from the away club. How would they have named individuals on them to enable Barbers Gestapo to perform an I'D check? If the Albion are going to put an admin overhead on, are we expected to pay for it? Barbers first comment about anything is 'there is no budget for this'

Putting all that to one side I notice this doesn't apply in 1901 or by its very nature Corporate. Other than the fact they pay more, what exactly is the difference with transferring your ticket? That's capitalism for you.

Utterly flawed bollox.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
I think people are losing sight of the bigger picture here.

What am I supposed to do with my QPR ticket now?
As you say, surely they won't police this at games where supply exceeds demand.

There are still tickets available for QPR away, although restricted view. They go on general sale from tomorrow morning. What would be the point in doing ID checks at a game anyone could get a ticket for?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

s e boy1968

Nov 9, 2010
If you want an example of how the club has lost the plot surely this policy of not transferring season tickets to a 'valid' family member is it.There may be many good reasons why a family may need to do this especially when an older child goes off to University.
So rather than being able to bring another child into the 'Albion ' and share the match day experience we have to have a potential plastic who's joining the ride for PL football.
As another poster remarked when the club are not in such a good position all these decisions will come back and bite them on the arse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you want an example of how the club has lost the plot surely this policy of not transferring season tickets to a 'valid' family member is it.

If you have a seat license you can. I'm not necessarily saying it's right or fair, more that there's a mechanism if you want to keep a ticket in the family.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here