Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber - ID checks of fans at away games?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
And I don't think you need to be a hotshot lawyer to work out that they have no right to do this. Asking to see someone's ID? They're having a laugh.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
FFS, pathetic.

We're going to a frigging FOOTBALL match for christs sake. I use my own fan number anyway, but if some jobsworth herbert in a high viz came up to me at a match and demanded I produce ID, I'd tell him to poke it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And I don't think you need to be a hotshot lawyer to work out that they have no right to do this. Asking to see someone's ID? They're having a laugh.

If they are selling you a ticket, and they add this to their T&C that they have the right to do so ("In completing this purchase you hereby agree to our terms and conditions", click this little box to agree), then why wouldn't they??

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Perhaps they do have the ability to deny you access to their facilities if you can't prove you are the legitimate owner of the ticket?

Would seem a bit odd for Barber to go out on this limb if he hadn't checked??

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
FFS, pathetic.

We're going to a frigging FOOTBALL match for christs sake. I use my own fan number anyway, but if some jobsworth herbert in a high viz came up to me at a match and demanded I produce ID, I'd tell him to poke it.

So what's the problem? :shrug:

Say you want to go to Norwich for a hypothetical promotion party, and all the eats are sold before the loyalty points drop to your level, so you miss out. How do you then feel if you find out 200 people with less points than you - perhaps who'd been to no games all season - DID get tickets?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Perhaps they do have the ability to deny you access to their facilities if you can't prove you are the legitimate owner of the ticket?

Be interested to see what the FSF say about this. Might wave it in front of them

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

They do it at high profile concerts, so it stands to reason they'd have no issue doing the same at football.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
How big of a problem is this that PB feels the need to issue a statement? I could understand it if there was a massive black market in away tickets or we had a big hooligan problem but surely we're only talking about a very small portion of people buying tickets for other people as season ticket holders can only get one ticket anyway.

Feels like a heavy handed approach which penalises against people who may have legitimate reasons for passing tickets on because they can't go.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So what's the problem? :shrug:

Say you want to go to Norwich for a hypothetical promotion party, and all the eats are sold before the loyalty points drop to your level, so you miss out. How do you then feel if you find out 200 people with less points than you - perhaps who'd been to no games all season - DID get tickets?

I have about 1100 or 1200 points. I've never failed to get a ticket to a game I REALLY wanted to go to, because I get my arse into gear early and am fairly organised on that front (or one of my mates is), and on the whole certainly in this division the away ends are usually big enough to accommodate.

If I still missed out, well then, that's life isn't it. Not the end of the world. If the game is that big then its invariably on TV these days anyway.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So what happens if you buy a ticket but cant make it anymore???

Just what I was thinking. What if I bought a ticket, then couldn't go. I can't pass it on to someone without them presumably running the gauntlet with the ID Gestapo in the away end and getting turfed out.

This is a ridiculous policy, complete overkill for what is undoubtedly a very small percentage of occurrences.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
He is raising the issue early ahead of next season on the basis that we'll probably go up.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Just what I was thinking. What if I bought a ticket, then couldn't go. I can't pass it on to someone without them presumably running the gauntlet with the ID Gestapo in the away end and getting turfed out.

This is a ridiculous policy, complete overkill for what is undoubtedly a very small percentage of occurrences.

How on earth to you 'police' that? If you can't buy it for someone else to use, then you can't pass it on just because you decide you can't go.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

I agree. It's a football match. This is so heavy handed it's madness. If a big group want to go but a mate isn't a season ticket holder they now can't go - total overkill

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As usual there's a small but real problem that we seem to be taking a sledgehammer to. Only going to get worse if we go up. Be careful what you wish for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here