Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber - ID checks of fans at away games?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Having read PB's responses and the rest of the thread, I still get a feeling that this whole debacle is completely unnecessary.

The number of people who've abused the system to accumulate a worthwhile number of points must be in the 10's. People complaining that they can't get tickets for an away game should've gone to more games. Realistically how many are in that situation? It must number in the 10's!

We've barely sold out our away allocation this season so all of this must be a result of something that happened at Forest.

Is it really worth alienating a large portion of the fanbase for something that affected a handful of people at one game :shrug:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
How long before season ticket holders have to attend x number of games each season in order to retain the right to renew?

I appreciate it relates to child season ticket holders but from next season a new condition is being introduced,

3.6 The Club reserves the right to cancel or relocate Family Stand season ticket holders, in the event the associated junior/concession season ticket is used for less than 25% of the home league matches, this will be assessed after ten home league matches have been played.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Preparations for the Premier League I think in full swing when every away game is going to be a loyalty point binfest. We've really only experienced a handful of away games each season for the last 5 where loyalty points have been needed. We're likely to have 19 if (whispers quietly) we were to get promoted.

Same with the non transferring of Season Tickets. Up until recently, it was never an issue, but since they started selling memberships to actually get onto the ST waiting list, you then those that have paid to be on that list need to see a fair chance and return on that.

IF we had gone up last season I reckon the away games where it wouldn't have sold out would have been:

West Brom, Stoke, Burnley, Leicester (maybe), Swansea, Middlesborugh / Hull , Swansea

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I appreciate it relates to child season ticket holders but from next season a new condition is being introduced,

3.6 The Club reserves the right to cancel or relocate Family Stand season ticket holders, in the event the associated junior/concession season ticket is used for less than 25% of the home league matches, this will be assessed after ten home league matches have been played.

This is a retrospective change, since they've been implementing it (moving people, by negotiation) in recent weeks. I don't disagree with it as it addresses the 'empty seat' problem. Which yesterday's announcement does the opposite of.

PG

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I might be thinking of a scenario that doesnt happen to everyone but...........
me and chums tend to rotate whose turn it is to buy tickets for away games.There may be up to 10 of us on a good day. All these tickets arrive in one big bundle and just get handed out. The chances of all of us walking up to the turnstile at the same time are minimal ( different taxis,stay in pub extra 15 minutes,getting food,lost through drunkenness,go for a bet). Cant say ive ever noticed a list accompanying the tickets as to which ticket number or seat is assigned to which supporter (if there is i need to look harder in the future)......how would singling out one supporter for ID even be practical in this situation.

Good point, maybe we could play a kind of game of bingo before k.o. The last ones standing without correct ID and ticket stub get a pug wash or ejected.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
This is a retrospective change, since they've been implementing it (moving people, by negotiation) in recent weeks. I don't disagree with it as it addresses the 'empty seat' problem. Which yesterday's announcement does the opposite of.

PG

I'm fully aware of that, I was replying to the poster who asked how long it would be before you had to attend x amount of games before your ticket was cancelled. I was pointing out that from next season it applies to child tickets, giving the impression that adults may be targeted within a season or two.

I too don't disagree. I'm sure if the situation was 'genuine' as per a serious medical condition they would look kindly on the absence.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Hopefully some of our younger season ticket holders will be able to watch a match on a Saturday afternoon.
There must be loads of youngsters that have missed home games because SKY have moved a Saturday game to an evening.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There's no theory to test. If I had no ID, then I couldn't show it could I? That's another matter entirely.

To refuse to show ID if you had it, on a point of principle, even though it meant completely ruining a long and expensive day out, would in my opinion be a ridiculous and petty reaction. Maybe the feeling of subversive pride you'd bask in, sipping your pint in an empty pub*, whilst all your mates enjoyed the match, would make it all worthwhile?

*Assuming the pub didn't want to see ID to purchase your drink of course - you'd have to walk straight out of there, too.

Ow sorry, of course, all you need to say is I don't have ID and they let you in. Silly me! There's me thinking they'd be employing adults to do the job rather than people that just came down with the last shower. As for pontificating about a not very comparable request for ID in a pub, as others have poinred out it's completely different. Stop sounding like a pompous prick too. And i enjoyed your 'i completely understand, but...' which demonstrates you dont and/or are selective with what you chose to validate.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There's only a sledgehammer if you are looking for one. I think we'll be waiting for quite some time before anyone on here reports back having been asked to prove their identity at a ground. If and when it does happen they'll probably then say they quickly flashed the debit card they had in their wallet and were on their way within 30 seconds.

I have no idea what you are trying to say about me. I'm a fan just like you. I agree with some stuff the club does and disagrees about other stuff. In both cases I'll say how I feel.

Where did I say anything about people employed at grounds in a capacity beyond the very specific one we are talking about? I didn't. As a fan of 40 or so years, having been to many hundreds of games all over the country I'd seen some very poor stewarding by those I wouldn't deem suitable for the job. But that's got nothing to do with what we are talking about here.

If spot checks are being undertaken on Albion fans, those people will need to have access to, and an understanding of, Albion's ticket sale systems. That's not a job for rent-a-bouncer.
Maybe. Maybe not.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
don't appreciate this at all. forget about the checking (which is wrong) i don't like the idea at all. every fan who travels away deserves more respect from our club

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Nobody will force you to show ID as they have no legal right to demand it. However, if you don't, then you can't go in the ground. People show IDs at pubs and other venues all the time. It is a fact of life. Talk of erosion of civil liberties is massively excessive. We live in a society where cameras watch us most of the time in public and people are worried about having to show their driving licence to someone at a football match. Is that really where your civil liberties are being eroded.

Hark at George Orwell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
One of the best things about Amex since it opened to me is fans generally treated like human beings, despite fact that law still assumes all football fans are not re can't have safe standing, no booze in view of pitch, have to have segregation etc. - totally different to a lot of other sports where some / all of these are allowed

Facilities at grounds like Forest and Barnsley where you can only get a coffee through a six inch gap in the Perspex screen perpetuate the above

Are we going to insist visiting clubs carry out such spot checks on their own fans at the Amex too?

EastUpperSeagull

Jul 3, 2013
I just can't see how big a problem this is. Surely those fans who just missed out would still have had enough points to be regulars on here and I have never heard anything about it. I would never be annoyed if I missed out as it would have meant that I wasn't quick enough off the mark. Whenever I have logged on at the time by loyalty point banding starts I get a ticket. Who exactly has complained? Was it a complaint or a fan who acted like a mug being caught with a ticket that wasn't theirs?

Another sticking point is the tone, which I have butted up against a number of times when dealing with the club. Most of my interactions are very pleasant, the stewards are friendly and very helpful, but sometimes the club can seem like a faceless corporate entity with a "computer says no mentality". In the couple of responses from them on this issue (seen on this thread) they seem very combative, some of PBs responses seem like he is taking the criticism personally (granted some of it has been personal but surely he should rise above that and respond to the main thrust of the argument), or just assuming that everyone that is moaning is obviously cheating the system and taking it as proof that it needs fixing. Just seems odd.

PBs point around the "circle" created by those handing on tickets building up loyalty points blocking others in the future is surely just a weakness of the system? Like any loyalty points system there are pros and cons and this is just a con. Remember the talk of people buying a £10 ticket for Huddersfield just to build up points? Surely if I buy a ticket and can't make it I will still get the points, complete that "circle" but now there will just be one less person willing the team on?

I have mates with season tickets at Southampton and Newcastle, they all have loyalty systems, and they all give out tickets to people they know if one of their usual group can't get to an away game. They have never told me about any issues they have had with the club. PB mentions other clubs doing this, yes maybe teams like United but we aren't near that scale of away support vs seats available.

Overall whilst this will affect me (I always get two tickets on release for me and the old man but sometimes he has to go away for work and so my other half comes with me instead - costs me more as we have to do a weekend away as a bribe - only happens a couple of times a season) I am mainly perturbed by the tone of the initial announcement and response - I can get over the Mrs having to wander the streets of the city whilst I go to the match - does mean one less person willing the Albion on though and one of the very precious people who have missed out still missing out - I will always buy one for me and one for my Dad.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Paul Barber once again demonstrating that all he understands is short-termism. But I guess that's the same in many walks of life (government springs to mind).

All this policy is likely to do is inconvenience and put off long-term fans (many examples given by posters in this thread). These are your core fans (sorry customers) who will still be there during the times that we aren't doing so well. But Mr Barber doesn't seem to get that, at all, or simply doesn't care - after all, he has a history of promoting policies for short-term gain, which in turn helps him achieve his 500K salary with bonuses.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Think I read somewhere on this thread that the club actually charges people to go on the ST waiting list. If that's the case, would go a long way towards explaining they've decided to start hassling existing STHs.

Explains so much. We can't provide you with a ST, but we will allow you to queue for one if you pay us for allowing you to do this.

#againstmodernfootball

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here