Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's all prove Dave Wagner wrong.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I know the whole point Wagner’s making is that we’ll choke. But consider this for a moment, in a simple world if both teams were to replicate their results from earlier in the season against the teams they have left to play Brighton would finish on 100 points and Huddersfield on 88. I realise that it’s unlikely that both will replicate their exact form, but say they improve and from their last 12 games they go unbeaten with 8 wins 4 draws, and that’s a big ask, but lets say they do, it puts them on 93 points. That would mean we need 22 points because of our goal difference. 6 wins and 4 draws. We have 5 home games, which if we won would mean we need to pick 1 win and 4 draws on the road. I think what we have to do is still well within our ability. Yeah we all get a bit jittery after a defeat and losing Duffy, but our team is all about consistency and being solid, if we keep doing what we’ve been doing for the last two seasons I think we’ll be fine.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Oh I dunno....Villa have picked up a little, winning there last three games albeit against out of form teams, two of which are in the bottom three...I'm thinking a draw

Villa average less than a goal a game away from home (10 in 15) and have lost more than they have won or drawn combined (W3 D5 L10). Sadly can't see anything other than a straight forward 3 points for Huddersfield. Just hope we get the same.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Villa average less than a goal a game away from home (10 in 15) and have lost more than they have won or drawn combined (W3 D5 L10). Sadly can't see anything other than a straight forward 3 points for Huddersfield. Just hope we get the same.

Off the back of a 3 game winning run, Villa might just feel the time is right to sort out their away form too - and against a Huddersfield side missing a couple of players (Billing and the goalkeeper).

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Off the back of a 3 game winning run, Villa might just feel the time is right to sort out their away form too - and against a Huddersfield side missing a couple of players (Billing and the goalkeeper).

How long is the keeper out for?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It was reported as a 'dead leg' so he won't be out for long. Not that you should care too much - Ward is no more than a bang average keeper anyway.

Even 1 or 2 below par results games could be enough to tip the balance decisively in our favour though. And it's never good for the defence to lose a regular keeper, even if they're not great.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Even 1 or 2 below par results games could be enough to tip the balance decisively in our favour though. And it's never good for the defence to lose a regular keeper, even if they're not great.

Well here's hoping.

Coleman has been good in the cup games though, so seems a perfectly adequate replacement.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Well here's hoping.

Coleman has been good in the cup games though, so seems a perfectly adequate replacement.

This is true. Just trying to point out really that people worrying about Duffy when we have Uwe as a back-up need to remember other teams can get their problems too. On balance, I'm hoping we're better off tonight with a very experienced, proven CB than they will be with a 21 year old who's played a handful of Cup games under little pressure by comparison. Fingers crossed.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We really haven't ever. Only the last 1 game or 2nd to last game. We actually have a history of finishing seasons very strongly - but many like to cling to that bollocks that we 'bottle' it at the end - when in fact we have often have a very good run.

Agreed. This is one of my biggest irritations as it seems to have been taken on by some Albion fans too (usually ones who moan all the time). In the three play off seasons, we finished the season very strongly and had great runs. We've had issues with injuries and Poyet in the actual play offs, which have meant we've lost out, but we have definitely not bottled the league at any point. It is an embarrassing opinion put forward by some clubs with an axe to grind against us (often who would have loved to have come the positions in the league that we have in recent years) and for some reason a few of our more vocal fans have chosen to agree with it.

Fnd_hudds

That Huddersfield Tosser
Feb 3, 2017
This is true. Just trying to point out really that people worrying about Duffy when we have Uwe as a back-up need to remember other teams can get their problems too. On balance, I'm hoping we're better off tonight with a very experienced, proven CB than they will be with a 21 year old who's played a handful of Cup games under little pressure by comparison. Fingers crossed.

Sorry to break it to you, but Coleman is actually a better keeper than Ward. Unfortunately we're under a bit of pressure to play Ward as he's on loan to us from Liverpool (and if we don't he'll get recalled, leaving us with one keeper), however, a lot of Town fans would start Coleman ahead of him. [Danny Ward is still great, mind].

Phil Bill most likely wouldn't have started tonight anyway - our 'best' CM pairing is Mooy and Hogg, unfortunately latter has been out for a few weeks and so has been bled back into the side over the past couple of games.

But yeah, I wouldn't really read anything in to this. Wagner's mentality is to just keep playing our game and let everyone else sort themselves out. If you actually read his comment, all he says is that he thinks that Newcastle are up now, but that there's still a long way to go for all the other places.

Big night in the Championship. Everyone has the potential to drop some points - I'm expecting some surprise results.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Sorry to break it to you, but Coleman is actually a better keeper than Ward. Unfortunately we're under a bit of pressure to play Ward as he's on loan to us from Liverpool (and if we don't he'll get recalled, leaving us with one keeper), however, a lot of Town fans would start Coleman ahead of him. [Danny Ward is still great, mind].

Phil Bill most likely wouldn't have started tonight anyway - our 'best' CM pairing is Mooy and Hogg, unfortunately latter has been out for a few weeks and so has been bled back into the side over the past couple of games.

But yeah, I wouldn't really read anything in to this. Wagner's mentality is to just keep playing our game and let everyone else sort themselves out. If you actually read his comment, all he says is that he thinks that Newcastle are up now, but that there's still a long way to go for all the other places.

Big night in the Championship. Everyone has the potential to drop some points - I'm expecting some surprise results.

Mooy has been very impressive every time I've seen him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sorry to break it to you, but Coleman is actually a better keeper than Ward.

Most probably

Unfortunately we're under a bit of pressure to play Ward as he's on loan to us from Liverpool.

Maybe. Perhaps Dave doesn't want to upset his mate Klopp.

(and if we don't he'll get recalled, leaving us with one keeper),

Not possible, for them to do so.

[Danny Ward is still great, mind].

meh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here