Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you indicate going straight over (second exit) a normal roundabout?

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
In the late 1980s. We were told that the only people who should be in the outside lane are those who will be exiting at the next junction.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Is it a mini roundabout or not?
Mini Roundabout no indication just straight over.
Normal Roundabout wait till you've passed the first exit and then indicate left.

this until you are sideswiped by a German in a German car with German registration who thinks he is still driving in his homeland
plenty of damage and the insurance paid out (awaiting the outcome and the next insurance charges), we had our boot door kicked in and they doubled our insurance
otherwise this is absolutely correct

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
When did you take your test then? Also, there aren't many roundabouts that have three lanes on the entry.
In the late 1980s. We were told that the only people who should be in the outside lane are those who will be exiting at the next junction.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Those type of roundabouts tend to be at major interchanges. Surely you shouldn't have any vehicle coming around fast on your left hand side! The driver on the left should be giving way to you, as on any roundabout.

There are two such roundabouts between Bracknell Towers and Falmer (Beddingham and Southerham). I don't think either of them are what would be called "major interchanges". The jet lanes serve single carriageways, not dual carriageways. Neither of them present any difficulties to drivers who have become well used to faster moving traffic joining slower vehicles from the left.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Would it not depend on road markings and signs approaching the roundabout given that many have left lane for left turn only with exits 2 and 3 being right hand lane

Agree with this

there is one near me that has no markings on the road but a sign goes up every now and then to say which lane. this has changed probably 5 times since I moved to there.

As such most people ignore the two lanes and drive in the middle of them. Saves any issues

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
View attachment 82660

This is a prime example near me.
Where I would go straight across the RA, by the white building, I normally have to indicate left when past the first turning on left.
It's amazing how many cars pull out in front of you!

Surely, this should be left lane for turning left and right lane for straight on and right? If you are in right lane turning left, then you are a knob, not literally you, and if you are the silver car and expecting car in the right lane to turn left, then they are a knob.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Surely, this should be left lane for turning left and right lane for straight on and right? If you are in right lane turning left, then you are a knob, not literally you, and if you are the silver car and expecting car in the right lane to turn left, then they are a knob.

You would think so about what you have said about the left & right lanes.
I've been up here for 20 years, and apparently that's the way it's always been.
I suppose cars etc, we're a lot smaller way back when, road and roundabout catering for today's monsters.
Anyway brass knobs to you to :wink:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
in the town I live there are 2 roundabouts where the cars joining the roundabout have priority (one's sign posted the other is local knowledge)

when friends & family visit me for the first time wonder what the hell is going on

as for bigger roundabouts at rush hour,it's like a version of the Red Arrows in cars (so many near misses)

indicate,you'll be lucky,that gives the game away

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There are two such roundabouts between Bracknell Towers and Falmer (Beddingham and Southerham). I don't think either of them are what would be called "major interchanges". The jet lanes serve single carriageways, not dual carriageways. Neither of them present any difficulties to drivers who have become well used to faster moving traffic joining slower vehicles from the left.

My bad. I had it in my head you were talking about lanes marked on the roundabout that guide you to your exit not lanes that, in effect, bypass the roundabout itself.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If on a bicycle, don't indicate, don't look, ignore all other traffic, ignore any lights, keep going regardless, don't give a :shit: Play the victim when you hit something.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Just behave like the vast majority and don't indicate at all, ever. It's dead tiring moving that little lever up and down next to the steering wheel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here